• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

WTF is internal fetal montoring?

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:05 PM
  • 12 Replies

what is it?

does it hurt the baby?

can i really refuse it? is it a bad idea to refuse it? why have so many women made it a big deal and refused it?

i have no idea what it is...all i know is my friend had to have it with her daughter and they found out her heartrate was dropping towards the end...(she also had to be induced because she was overdue so the pitocin didnt help the heartrate thing)

Proud Mommy to be of Ozlo Robert Simms!

babies
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bezark
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:08 PM

It's an electrode that they attach to the baby's head while he/she's still in there.

I'm against any constant fetal monitoring in a healthy pregnancy because it leaves too much room for hospital staff to read too much into the "results."

I can't find the studies right now, but there have been a few that show a significant increase in c-section rates with the use of constant monitoring.

mom4ary
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:09 PM

my understanding is it is a monitor, like a cord that goes in your va-jay-jay and right under the scalp on the babys head but its not supposed to hurt them, and it tracks their heartrate better than the belt things they put around you. Sometimes the belt thing isnt as accurate and its hard to get a reading on one. other than that im not really sure why women refuse it, i personally have never had one i just watch enough maternity ward/baby story/deliver me haha

JGRIMMER
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:09 PM

I had it when I went into labor.  It was no big deal.  They had a hard time getting it on my DS though.  It left a little red dot on his head, but it went away.  He is perfect.

DamiensMommy1
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:10 PM

i had it with my son.. he didnt wanna come out.. and the cord was wrapped around his neck so they were watching him for 'stress' I didnt see that it hurt anything... he just has a funky hair where it was in under his skin on the scalp...

i dunno for sure what the risks are.. or anything?

Photobucket
Mrs.Simms

i can understand them reading too much into it for sure, but my friend was in the pushing stage and they had to put one on her daughters head and when her heartrate dropped they insisted she pushed harder and faster....later they told her that her daughters heartrate dropped so low they almost lost her...and that if she hadnt gotten her out in the one last push, they wouldnt have had time for foreceps or anything and they could have lost her if resessitation hadnt worked!

Quoting bezark:

It's an electrode that they attach to the baby's head while he/she's still in there.

I'm against any constant fetal monitoring in a healthy pregnancy because it leaves too much room for hospital staff to read too much into the "results."

I can't find the studies right now, but there have been a few that show a significant increase in c-section rates with the use of constant monitoring.

babies
ArleneE

just the same type of monitoring as the outside belly strip but it is closer to the baby and more accurate hence the word internal so it is placed inside the vagina as close to the baby as possible i think or if the woman is dilated they most likely eventually reach the baby and i think if i remember correctly attach it very easily like a heart thing to the top of the babies head i only ever read about it never had it done.

MonroeLoves82
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:11 PM

It is a clip they place on the scalp of the baby during labor. A friend of mine's son has a scar from his, they told her it would go away. :(

Like a good debate about Mothering Hot Topics?
Come debate with us!

My name is Alli, I am a mother to two children Brady and Addison.
I am a nurse, wife, midwifery student, aspiring doula, straight edge, breastfeeding, homebirthing, non vaccinating, liberal, pro choice, future home schooling, green living, army wife, atheist, level headed, feminist.

Mrs.Simms
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:12 PM

ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME??? IT ACTUALLY GOES IN THERE SCALP!!! OH HEEEELLLLLL NO!! IM ALREADY AGAINST IT NOW! THEY CAN USE A HAND HELD MONITOR INSTEAD! NO WAY AM I LETTING THEM POKE MY SON IN THE HEAD!

Quoting mom4ary:

my understanding is it is a monitor, like a cord that goes in your va-jay-jay and right under the scalp on the babys head but its not supposed to hurt them, and it tracks their heartrate better than the belt things they put around you. Sometimes the belt thing isnt as accurate and its hard to get a reading on one. other than that im not really sure why women refuse it, i personally have never had one i just watch enough maternity ward/baby story/deliver me haha

babies
bezark
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:13 PM

It's completely normal for baby's heartrate to drop with pushing/contractions. As long as he/she recovers after each one, there's nothing to worry about. Unfortunately, lawsuits force doctors to err on the "safe" side and perform questionable c-sections.

Quoting Mrs.Simms:

i can understand them reading too much into it for sure, but my friend was in the pushing stage and they had to put one on her daughters head and when her heartrate dropped they insisted she pushed harder and faster....later they told her that her daughters heartrate dropped so low they almost lost her...and that if she hadnt gotten her out in the one last push, they wouldnt have had time for foreceps or anything and they could have lost her if resessitation hadnt worked!

Quoting bezark:

Mrs.Simms
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:16 PM

she was too far to do a csec, she was on her last push but was so worn out she wasnt pushing right and adrienne wasnt moving any...he heartrate was so low her heart nearly stopped completely...and she wasnt recovering.

Quoting bezark:

It's completely normal for baby's heartrate to drop with pushing/contractions. As long as he/she recovers after each one, there's nothing to worry about. Unfortunately, lawsuits force doctors to err on the "safe" side and perform questionable c-sections.

Quoting Mrs.Simms:

Quoting bezark:

babies
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)