Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

making 2 yr old take meds

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:13 PM
  • 14 Replies

My daughter has a UTI and I am having the most difficult time giving her the antibiotics. She won't take it, so I asked pharmacist and he said mix with something to drink and apparently she can still taste it or something. Tonight I tried juice and chocolate milk and she didnt take not one drop. this morning took her forever to drink it with apple juice. its amoxicillin anyone have any idea if they make something else that I could maybe ask the doc about...or any other suggestions on how i can get her to take it. Im 36 weeks pregnant so holding down a 2 yr old is out of the question cuz hubby goes to work 2 early in morning.

by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ambermilton
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:21 PM

lol this is so bad... but can you bribe her with fruit snacks or jelly beans or something? Like, she has to drink her "special juice" before you can have her treat.... I dunno, just an idea if nothing else has worked. My son is also 2... and i'm trying to think of what might work with him if i was in your shoes lol. Good Luck.

fsuandi7
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:22 PM

No one knows??? I'm going to go to bed...hopefully someone will leave something so I have some idea come tomorrow morning.

christalo
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:23 PM

There are alot of different antibiotics that treat UTI, although I really don't know if any of them taste good...Could you try tricking her with putting it in icecream or such?

fsuandi7
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:24 PM

You know i tried that and nothing...I think it may have been that she was just so tired and just really wanting to go to bed. I am going to give her juice first thing in morning and her night time dose i am going to stop giving her stuff to drink about 1 1/2 hours before bedtime that way she'll drink it up...I'm also going to call doc and see what she has to say about everything

Quoting ambermilton:

lol this is so bad... but can you bribe her with fruit snacks or jelly beans or something? Like, she has to drink her "special juice" before you can have her treat.... I dunno, just an idea if nothing else has worked. My son is also 2... and i'm trying to think of what might work with him if i was in your shoes lol. Good Luck.

ambermilton
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:26 PM

Yeah, makes sense that maybe she was just too tired. But, your holding off on her juice till you give her the medicine later is a good idea actually. Again, Good Luck. Hope her UTI clears up soon!

Quoting fsuandi7:

You know i tried that and nothing...I think it may have been that she was just so tired and just really wanting to go to bed. I am going to give her juice first thing in morning and her night time dose i am going to stop giving her stuff to drink about 1 1/2 hours before bedtime that way she'll drink it up...I'm also going to call doc and see what she has to say about everything

Quoting ambermilton:

mommyofmaknchz
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:27 PM

I know you said that holding her down isn't an option but it might be the only one.  I too have been in your position of being pregnant and trying to get my dd to take meds. WHat i did was kneel over her and hold her arms at her sides with my knees. Not sitting on her but just kneeling above. While its not easy it was the only thing that would work. You could alsosit on the floor with her between your knees and put your legs over hers. Other than that bribery is the only way.

kristyb01
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:33 PM

Stirring it into yogurt or squirting it into a juice box worked for my two year old...the juice box is something he doesn't normally get and I made sure he didn't see me do it.  The yogurt was also a success.

Haley25
by on Jan. 26, 2009 at 3:07 AM

did the pharmacy not mix it with any flavoring? I had to give my dd amoxacillin about a month ago and the kid still asks me for the "pink medicine" lol. Whatever flavor they mixed it with she LOVED it. I would try sittin your child on the kitchen counter and putting the medicine in a syringe and just kinda squirting it in their mouth and make em swallow it.

CoastieWifePR
by on Jan. 26, 2009 at 3:16 AM

Can you take it to Walgreens and ask to put flavor in it?  That's what I do with my son's prescribed medications, always ask them to flavor it either cherry, grape or bubble gum...

lakens_mommy
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2009 at 3:22 AM

My 2 year old will not take medicine worth crap! So, I lay her on the floor then straddle her with her arms to her side. I have to hold her head and squirt her medicine in her cheek little by little til she finishes it. It sucks doing, especially pregnant. I fell on my butt so many times when I was pregnant, but that's the only way I'll get it in her without her tossing her head around or spitting it out.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)