Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

No Us Til 20 Weeks?

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:02 PM
  • 37 Replies

Just out of curiousity, does medicaid pay for the 'first' US that is normally early on in pregnancy? WHy i ask is because with my DD, i got one at 10w but i was in teh ER for bleeding. My 'doctors' if you can call them that, never offered, or said anythign about a US until i was 20 weeks....im 11 weeks now and havent gone in yet (just NOT enthusiastic about seeing them again) and was just curious....

by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ultrakiwi
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:04 PM

Mine did.. They cover any ultrasounds I need, just not 3d ones.

pregnancy

tlsteinbeck
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:05 PM

When I received medicad for my first pregnancy (in Nebraska) medicad paid for everything the doctor ordered. I could not just request an ultra sound, but if the doctor wanted one then they covered it. For instance, the first time I went to see her I had no idea how far along I was, so she ordered an US for dates. Then I had the normal one at 20 weeks, and then one at 38 weeks because she was worried about how big I was. So if your state is anything like mine, then they should pay for it, if your doctor requests it. :) Hope this helps!

missamanda86
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:07 PM

IMO the 3D ones scare me lol!

Quoting Ultrakiwi:

Mine did.. They cover any ultrasounds I need, just not 3d ones.

missamanda86
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:07 PM

Well im not 100% sure how far i am, just because my last 'period' was like spotting for 90% of the week....so im gonna mention that to them and see what they say

Quoting tlsteinbeck:

When I received medicad for my first pregnancy (in Nebraska) medicad paid for everything the doctor ordered. I could not just request an ultra sound, but if the doctor wanted one then they covered it. For instance, the first time I went to see her I had no idea how far along I was, so she ordered an US for dates. Then I had the normal one at 20 weeks, and then one at 38 weeks because she was worried about how big I was. So if your state is anything like mine, then they should pay for it, if your doctor requests it. :) Hope this helps!

MonroeLoves82
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:08 PM

Most don't order ultrasounds till 20 weeks, there really is no reason for them unless there is a complication.

Like a good debate about Mothering Hot Topics?
Come debate with us!

My name is Alli, I am a mother to two children Brady and Addison.
I am a nurse, wife, midwifery student, aspiring doula, straight edge, breastfeeding, homebirthing, non vaccinating, liberal, pro choice, future home schooling, green living, army wife, atheist, level headed, feminist.

missamanda86
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:09 PM

The reason i asked is because i see all kinds of post about Us at 8-12 weeks

Quoting MonroeLoves82:

Most don't order ultrasounds till 20 weeks, there really is no reason for them unless there is a complication.

Jillian
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:09 PM

I only had my first two U/S  because of my history the dr's have to see if the baby is forming normally. I thought you only need to get the later one if you have a normal pregnancy and your history is normal. I could  be wrong though. Good Luck can you not find any other dr's yours sound like you don't get along with them. 

pregnancy week by week

baby

addisonsmom3794
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:11 PM

I'm 13 weeks and am having my 4th u/s tomorrow afternoon.  But that is due in large part to my history of miscarriage.  With DD I had 3,  the last one being at 18w 3d.

Pregnancy ticker

missamanda86

No the only OBs are at the stupid womens health center and any others are an hour + away...if i could afford it, i SO would drive, but we cant...i just had a really bad time of it with my DD because they were jerks to me

Quoting Jillian:

I only had my first two U/S  because of my history the dr's have to see if the baby is forming normally. I thought you only need to get the later one if you have a normal pregnancy and your history is normal. I could  be wrong though. Good Luck can you not find any other dr's yours sound like you don't get along with them.

Jakkiloves

either because they're having complications, or weren't sure how far along they are. Most doctors want to wait further on so that its easier to make out all the organs. The U.S isn't for you. It's so that they can see the development!

Quoting missamanda86:

The reason i asked is because i see all kinds of post about Us at 8-12 weeks

Quoting MonroeLoves82:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)