• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Nipple stimulation using a breast pump

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:13 PM
  • 5 Replies

i'm considering trying this...but is there's a certain way to do it...i have an electric..double medela pump...problem is i've never used a breast pump in my entire life..so ne one who has ne tips it would be greatly appreciated!

by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
doulala
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:24 PM

Have you used a breastpump before?   Do you have your doctor or midwife to help you with it?   They should be able to explain the process.   (It should be under supervision, of course, it's unnaturally harsh--  like Pitocin.)

Birth is not only about making babies. Birth is about making mothers ~ strong, competent, capable mothers who trust themselves and know their inner strength.

~Barbara Katz Rothma

When you change the way you view birth, the way you birth will change. -Mongan

miasmommy21407
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:39 PM

You just pump in intervals and stop when a contraction start but this SHOULD NOT BE DONE UNLESS UNDER THE SUPERVISION OF A MIDWIFE (or possibly a doctor, although they generally aren't trained in this)

ALSO this should ONLY be used if you are past 42 weeks and at risk for an induction. If this isn't the situation just let your baby come on his or her own time. There is a reason your not in labor yet.

loris1209
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2009 at 12:16 PM

I tried this and it didn't work. I have the same breast pump. I feel for you. I'm due in a week and this baby is no where near wanting to be born!!!!! IT"S SO FRUSTRATING!!!!angry

doulala
by on Jan. 26, 2009 at 1:03 PM

I had this too~   it really hurt!   

But you don't know if baby is "no where near,"   you might be surprised!   Either way, sooner OR later, baby WILL come, when the time is just perfect for him/her, don't worry!  

Quoting loris1209:

I tried this and it didn't work. I have the same breast pump. I feel for you.

I'm due in a week and this baby is no where near wanting to be born!!!!!

The knowledge of how to give birth without outside intervention lies deep within each woman. Successful childbirth depends on an acceptance of the process. ~Suzanne Arms

Birth is not an emergency. It is simply an emergence.” - Jeannine Parvati Baker

VerucaSallt
by on Jan. 26, 2009 at 1:05 PM

I did it and it put me into labor but the baby wouldn't descend so labor stalled and eventually stopped altogether.\

I would use my double medela just a bit past the lightest setting on both breasts for 5 minutes.  Then i'd wait 20 min and do it again.  By the third time I was having regular contractions.

*edited... I got the times wrong... LOL

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)