Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why does nipple stimulation need to be supervised??

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:43 PM
  • 18 Replies

Just curious.

In another post about nipple stimulation a few of you stated that you aren't supposed to do it unless a doc/midwife is supervising you. Why is that? I always had the impression that stimulation produces a hormone and that hormone will not start labor unless your body is ready for it.

Is the supervision needed only if you use a pump or are you supposed to be supervised if you do this manually as well?

*Not trying to start anything, just curious*

Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
absinth13
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:46 PM

Well it needs to be under supervision in case you have a history or risk of pre term labor, I think.

RosePetalTears
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:53 PM

Quoting absinth13:

Well it needs to be under supervision in case you have a history or risk of pre term labor, I think.

I can see that, but I'm talking about when people are considered full term (37+ wks) and are trying to start labor for whatever reason. There would be no high risk, or other issues that need medical attention...

Krysten309
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:58 PM

I think it's your choice. There's all sorts of things you can do to try and stimulate contractions. If you're not sure how or uncomfortable by yourself because you think you might actually go into labor right then from it, then I guess I could understand having someone there with you. But I mean, sex supposedly has the same effect as nipple stimulation and it's not like you're going to invite your midwife or doula to watch that!

-krysten
during pregnancy
"There is no fear in love; for perfect love casts out fear ... " 1 John 4:18
doulala
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:58 PM

Because it's possible to be unnaturally intense, like Pitocin.   This could put baby at-risk for distress.

The knowledge of how to give birth without outside intervention lies deep within each woman. Successful childbirth depends on an acceptance of the process. ~Suzanne Arms

Birth is not an emergency. It is simply an emergence.” - Jeannine Parvati Baker

AustinsMommy306
by on Jan. 26, 2009 at 12:03 AM

i'm the one who posted about nipple stimulatin for induction...orgasims produce the same chemical....am i supposed to masterbate and have sex in front of my doctor too incase i go into labor?

i go in tomorrow to find out if i can be induced tomorrow or wednesday..and i've been having irregular contractions..i was trying to find something that would bring them on more regularly so i didn't have to be induced...and i'm dialated to a 4 that's why we are talking induction because i'm at a higher risk for infections and things..

rebel_mommy09
by on Jan. 26, 2009 at 12:04 AM

Lol! No that would just be embarrassing!

Quoting Krysten309:

I think it's your choice. There's all sorts of things you can do to try and stimulate contractions. If you're not sure how or uncomfortable by yourself because you think you might actually go into labor right then from it, then I guess I could understand having someone there with you. But I mean, sex supposedly has the same effect as nipple stimulation and it's not like you're going to invite your midwife or doula to watch that!

pregnancy week by week

rebel_mommy09
by on Jan. 26, 2009 at 12:07 AM

I would say that as long as you feel comfortable with the nipple stimulatin then go ahead. Maybe have someone there just in case you do go into labor and start having strong contractions. Good luck!

Quoting AustinsMommy306:

i'm the one who posted about nipple stimulatin for induction...orgasims produce the same chemical....am i supposed to masterbate and have sex in front of my doctor too incase i go into labor?

i go in tomorrow to find out if i can be induced tomorrow or wednesday..and i've been having irregular contractions..i was trying to find something that would bring them on more regularly so i didn't have to be induced...and i'm dialated to a 4 that's why we are talking induction because i'm at a higher risk for infections and things..

pregnancy week by week

RosePetalTears
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2009 at 12:08 AM

Quoting AustinsMommy306:

well, the sex would make things as awkward for the docs as some of the things are for us. lol. payback?

I'm not against nipple stimulation and other things that are similar at all. I don't think that nipple stimulation (or sex) need to be supervised either. I just never heard anyone say that it had to be. 

As for being induced because of being dilated. I never got told that at all for either of my pregnancies. For my first I was walking around 6cm and 80% for at least a wk, and with my second I was 5cm and 75% for nearly a wk as well. Maybe each doc views that differently?

Good luck with everything though :)

addisonsmom3794
by on Jan. 26, 2009 at 12:18 AM

You can get infection if your water has broken and that's about it.  I was 2 cm dilated for 2 weeks, 4 for 2 more weeks and then 6 for a week and THEN my water broke.  At no point was there any talk about infection.  That worry comes when your water has been broken for more than 24 hours. 

Quoting RosePetalTears:

Quoting AustinsMommy306:

well, the sex would make things as awkward for the docs as some of the things are for us. lol. payback?

I'm not against nipple stimulation and other things that are similar at all. I don't think that nipple stimulation (or sex) need to be supervised either. I just never heard anyone say that it had to be. 

As for being induced because of being dilated. I never got told that at all for either of my pregnancies. For my first I was walking around 6cm and 80% for at least a wk, and with my second I was 5cm and 75% for nearly a wk as well. Maybe each doc views that differently?

Good luck with everything though :)

Pregnancy ticker

earthmama727
by on Jan. 26, 2009 at 12:53 AM

Supervision for nipple stimulation?  REALLY? Too me it sounds like the DRs are going out of their way  to be intrusive. I mean as for the preterm labor thing, I would assume you are doing it because you are either over due or are already in labor and trying to make it progress.  I would sure trust my own bodies hormones over the ones they create in a lab and inject me with...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)