Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

c-section moms...is this true??

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 1:03 AM
  • 13 Replies

When I had my daughter DH stayed with me overnight at the hospital so this wasn't an issue.

This time around DH will be going home at nights with our daughter. My c-section is scheduled for 8:30 in the morning. My aunt was telling me when she had her c-section they wouldn't let her keep her twins overnight in the room for the first night because my uncle couldn't stay the night and she was still loopy from the medicine. But she didn't have her c-section until 6 in the evening.

Anyway, I want to room-in only. Will they "allow" me to have my little boy with me even though DH won't be there with me for night time?? I can't imagine they wouldn't, the spinal would definitely be all worn off by then.

Lilypie 3rd Birthday TickerLilypie Expecting a baby Ticker

by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 1:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
steph2884
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 1:05 AM

I roomed with my son. My husband did get to stay with me. I don't understand why a hospital wouldn't allow you to have your baby with you. A c-section does make it very hard to get up and take care of your baby though. But I still don't see how they can refuse it.

pregnancy calendar

baby

Nikki19831971
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 1:06 AM

No, they cannot do that. You can insist that your baby is with you, if you have a problem, there will be a call button on your bed that you can call the nurses with.

donnamama
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 1:09 AM

you'll have to ask your hospital. every hospital has different policies!  maybe you can have someone stay with you over night. like another fmaily member or something.

Siggy

NestBaby Pregnancy Ticker

Nichol81
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 1:13 AM

Not true at all. I just had one last month, my DD only went to the nursery for her tests and came right back.  She slept in my hospital bed with me the first night.  I was not loopy from meds either and I was getting morphine.  So don't worry you will be fine.

Nichol81
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 1:14 AM

It was more difficult, the second night my DH did not stay with me however I would buzz my nurse when I needed help or diapers. That is what they are there for.

julie148
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 1:26 AM

Wellllllll, I just had my Zoe the second week of this month and the hosp. I was in requires that someone stay with you 24/7.  She couldn't stay with me in the room all the time and was not allowed to co-sleep with me and was not allowed to  stay with me throughout the night.  Every few hours she was taken away to the nursery to be checked.  NOTHING WAS WRONG WITH MY LITTLE GIRL, BUT THIS IS THE POLICY OF THIS HOSP.   ugh!!!!!    Every hosp. is different.  Ask before you go in.        surprisedjulia

lipstickclouds
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 1:34 AM

That was never an issue for me, and I had 4 c-sections. With my first my husband stayed overnight, but with the second, third and forth,  he went home at night to be with the other kids, and I roomed with my babies even when no one stayed with me overnight..it was that way after all of their births. It made it easy to nurse them right away, I wouldn't have let the anyone take my baby. I liked being able to snuggle with them in my bed at night, since we co-slept once we got home I liked to start it as soon as possible.  I would make sure ahead of time that you can room in with the baby, it's important to have that time, and if the baby is healthy there is no reason that you shouldn't be able to have them with you and care for them with help from the nurses if you need it. Good luck :)

baby gift

Krysten309
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 1:36 AM

I think it depends on the hospital you go to, because as far as I know, children can't stay in the hospital unless you really push. I don't think that I'd be comfortable keeping my child with me after surgery any ways

-krysten
during pregnancy
"There is no fear in love; for perfect love casts out fear ... " 1 John 4:18
orcadarwin
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 7:26 AM

At my hospital, it was my choice whether to have my baby room with me or not.  With my first, my husband stayed that first night, and our son stayed in there with us, until about 3 in the morning.  He started crying and would not be consoled, had just nursed and been changed.  So the nurses came in to see if anything was wrong, and they laid him down and were checking him out, to make sure he wasn't hurt or anything.  They noticed that his breathing didn't sound right, so they took him to the nursery.  My husband fell asleep, but I remained awake, thinking that they would bring him back for his next feeding.  Well, they didn't.  Someone came in around 7 to get the trash and used sheets, and said, "I'm so sorry that your baby has pneumonia."  Well, I started bawling then.  No one had come to tell us that he was sick.  My sister came in about 7:30 on her way to work that morning, and saw me bawling my eyes out and asked me what was wrong.  So, I told her, and she picked up the phone to call the pediatrician (she actually worked for them).  She asked them what the heck was going on and why no one had come to tell me what was going on.  Well, the doctor came in the room about 5 minutes after she hung up.  He said that he got called away to an emergency and the nurses were supposed to come and tell me.  So, after that, my son had to stay in the nursery being monitored all the time.  He had to have tubes in his little legs and an IV in his little hand.  Made me sad, but he got better. 

With my second son, my husband went home at night to get some sleep, he was working and couldn't get any time off, except for the day the baby was born.  This time, I choose for the baby to sleep in the nursery and the nurses brought him to me at feeding times.  Worked a little better for me.  I was able to sleep a little in between. 

I will probably do the same this time.  My husband will be coming home with the boys at night to get some sleep, but this time, he will have the whole week off.  My C-section this time is scheduled for 8 am.  My first was an emergency C-section and it was at 1 pm.  My second was gonna be a VBAC, but the doctor told me that I was really too small to deliver that way, so we opted for the C-section and it was done around 10 am.  This time, there's no question, C-section is set for 8 am.  I've had about 4 different doctors tell me that I'm too small to deliver naturally.

mommy_of_2_babi
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 7:29 AM

i dont think they have a choice unless he needs medical attention if you want him roomed in then they have no say in it

i roomed in with both my kids

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)