Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I was advised to wait 2 years to get pregnant after my c-section, but I didn't.

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 8:20 AM
  • 17 Replies

Has anyone else had a c-section with your first and then gotten pregnant before the recommended two year gap? My son is 14 months and I am 5 weeks pregnant. Should I be worried that my scar will rupture?

by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 8:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MumsTheWord571
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 8:22 AM

2 years is ideal, but my cousin did about 16 months and she's golden.

bcmommy0829
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 8:33 AM

i will have another c section just shy of two years after my second one.  the doctors haven't said anything about it so i am not worried.

787BabyMom
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 8:35 AM

I got pregnant 11 months after my first CS.  Both my OB and ped said this was fine.  My sis did the same thing.   I had a friend who was preggo 2 months after a CS and was fine.  The only thing is if you are hoping for a VBAC it may weigh on that decision.

o0gone0o
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 8:49 AM

My mom had 4 kids 4 c-sections and each one of us are 18-20months apart so I think you'll be alright..

mom23boys679
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 8:56 AM
Chances are you'll be fine. I had my first 4/11/06 via c-section, second 13 months later on 5/25/07, and I'm due with our third 3/9/09. 3 in 3 years - last will be a section as well. I was fine, I'm sure you will be too.
MonroeLoves82
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 8:58 AM

2 years is the ideal healing time, but many women have safe pregnancies before the 2 year mark. Remember though, after 1 c-section there is always a chance of rupture during a pregnancy.

Like a good debate about Mothering Hot Topics?
Come debate with us!

My name is Alli, I am a mother to two children Brady and Addison.
I am a nurse, wife, midwifery student, aspiring doula, straight edge, breastfeeding, homebirthing, non vaccinating, liberal, pro choice, future home schooling, green living, army wife, atheist, level headed, feminist.

tommysmommy05
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 9:01 AM

I have never heard of waiting 2 years. When I had my c-section I was told nothing about waiting. Not 1 single word. But then again my OB was an idiot. :-)

The most I've heard is 1 year.

My guess your not the first or the last to not wait.

Congratulations!

Jodi

dozerfamily
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 9:02 AM

I had a c-section with my son in July 99 and then had another with twin girls in May 01.  They said they could see a small window in my uterus but nothing had ruptured and I was HUGE!  You should be just fine.

signgirl
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 9:20 AM

my doctor told me to wait a year... i will be having my second c-section in april...and we want to try and get pregnant 4 months after this baby is born... like i said the doctor reccommends i wait a year, but as long as everything looks good during this section we will try...

i have heard a lot of success stories... not any bad ones.

but it all depends on your body and the individual.

baby
Steph_reynolds
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 10:13 AM

hell, I didnt even KNOW you were supposed to wait 2 years.  my son is 18 months (tomorrow) and I am pregnant right now.  somewhere between 6 and 8 weeks probably

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)