Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Birthplan Question

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 9:31 AM
  • 11 Replies

Is it even rational to have a birthplan when you are having a scheduled c-section? I ask because I would like certain things to happen (and not happen) before and after delivery. My last c-section turned into an emergency and it was awful (not the hospital's fault, per se, just a lack of communication due to that I was only semi-conscious during and for about 3 hours after delivery). Here is a rundown of what I would LIKE to happen, barring any medical emergencies like last time (I understand that my wishes come second when there is a medical emergency):

I would like to breastfeed as soon after delivery as is possible (last time they said that because I was paralyzed, spinal block, this wasn't possible - but that was also almost 8 years ago)

No matter what state I am in I do NOT want the nurses to "help" me breastfeed (in other words, I want noone shoving my naked breast into my child's mouth because it is assumed that I don't know how to do it).

There are certain people who I do not want to be allowed in the hospital room after delivery when the baby and I are resting.

Any testing and/or medical procedures performed on the baby are to be explained to myself or my husband BEFORE they do them, not after.

We do not want the baby circed, if it is a boy (we are going to be surprised).

Rational? Possible? I have never really heard of a hospital/birth plan for a section - but I feel like I am starting all over again too since it has been so long since I had a child.

I am a Private School sending, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Homework Helping, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Academic pushing Mum. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it raising my child - I will do that, Thank You. I believe that a woman's place is in the home taking care of her house, children and husband. I am a proud, traditional Roman Catholic, as is my husband... Yes we are teaching our daughter that The Church is the only Church. I am very conservative and a proud Republican.              Aimee

by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 9:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AirealSBuchanan
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 9:34 AM

I dont think you really need a whole complete birthplan typed up, but maybe type up those few things and give it to ur doc before hand just so they know.  

mrsmarklewis
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 9:37 AM

First of all, why the scheduled c section? Vbacs are very popular and worth it IMO.

You can type these things up and discuss them with your doctor. Outline what's important to you and have them put it in your file as a constant reminder. Worked for me!

MonroeLoves82
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 9:37 AM

If those are your wishes, you should put them into writing.

Like a good debate about Mothering Hot Topics?
Come debate with us!

My name is Alli, I am a mother to two children Brady and Addison.
I am a nurse, wife, midwifery student, aspiring doula, straight edge, breastfeeding, homebirthing, non vaccinating, liberal, pro choice, future home schooling, green living, army wife, atheist, level headed, feminist.

AutymsMommy
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2009 at 9:42 AM

I am not comfortable with a VBAC, nor is my doctor comfortable doing one.

Will the file be on hand for the doc to consult if it turns into an emergency section again? And will the hospital staff be made aware?

Quoting mrsmarklewis:

First of all, why the scheduled c section? Vbacs are very popular and worth it IMO.

You can type these things up and discuss them with your doctor. Outline what's important to you and have them put it in your file as a constant reminder. Worked for me!

I am a Private School sending, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Homework Helping, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Academic pushing Mum. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it raising my child - I will do that, Thank You. I believe that a woman's place is in the home taking care of her house, children and husband. I am a proud, traditional Roman Catholic, as is my husband... Yes we are teaching our daughter that The Church is the only Church. I am very conservative and a proud Republican.              Aimee

mrsmarklewis
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 9:46 AM

Well it sounds like you've already made your mind up. Not knowing your circumstances I can't say either way, but I'd def. avoid a section if at all possible.

The file will be on hand. They have to refer to it before pushing any drugs, etc. They have to note in it the readings from your strip test, contraction lengths and all that jazz. Your doctor should have it on hand at all times, aside from the actual "giving birth".

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Will the file be on hand for the doc to consult if it turns into an emergency section again? And will the hospital staff be made aware?

Quoting mrsmarklewis:

AutymsMommy
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2009 at 9:47 AM

I'm glad that you avoid what you do not want :o) I am comfortable with my c-section choice - just not sure about the birth plan.

Quoting mrsmarklewis:

Well it sounds like you've already made your mind up. Not knowing your circumstances I can't say either way, but I'd def. avoid a section if at all possible.

The file will be on hand. They have to refer to it before pushing any drugs, etc. They have to note in it the readings from your strip test, contraction lengths and all that jazz. Your doctor should have it on hand at all times, aside from the actual "giving birth".

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Quoting mrsmarklewis:

MonroeLoves82
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 10:04 AM

Most Obstetricians are not really comfortable with VBAC today. Unfortunately for many women who do want them, and are discouraged, they can be much safer.
If a VBAC turns into an emergency c-section situation, your file is on site at the hospital, and your previous surgical report should also be on site.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Quoting mrsmarklewis:

Come debate with us!

I am a nurse, wife, midwifery student, aspiring doula, straight edge, breastfeeding, homebirthing, non vaccinating, liberal, pro choice, future home schooling, green living, army wife, atheist, level headed, feminist.

MonroeLoves82
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 10:06 AM

Sorry, I must have misunderstood your question in your reply. When it comes to your birth plan, they are often placed on top of your medical file or chart so whoever looks at it sees it before anything else, but many hospitals treat them like just another piece of paper. It really depends on your hospital, your hospital staff, and the hospital staff you have tending to you.
If you are really concerned about your wishes being met, maybe you should talk to your partner about it or consider hiring a doula.

Come debate with us!

VerucaSallt
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 10:08 AM

I had one.  I can't find it (we're talking almost 8 months ago somewhere on my massive harddrive!) but I remember some of it.

• Require "snuggle time" after delivery.  No whooshing baby away after apgars.
  • Visit baby in NICU before being returned to my room (he needed to go there because we wanted him evaulated to see if he had the same heart condition as his brother so we knew he would be there)
  • Baby is to be returned as soon as all NECESSARY evaluations are done.
  • Circumcision
  • No formula for ANY reason

I told my OB I would leave THAT DAY if I were treated as poorly as I was for my first section so he personally made a call to the head nurses to make sure I was taken care of, and I was.

nonna
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 10:11 AM

You could google "c-section birth plan" and fill one out.  If you'd rather, just type your requests up and make 3 copies.  One for your doctor to give him/her at your next visit, one to hand to L&D when you arrive for your c-section and one for your birth partner to keep in his/her pocket throughout the procedure and afterward for reference.

Sorry you didn't get much help before.  Sometimes people tend to cloud the actual question with their opinions on things that were not asked.

Krystiana ~ Loving wifey to Nick, Momma to Juliana,
Stepmomma to Lillyana,
and growing a boy. EDD-2/20/09

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)