Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

contracting?

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 10:01 AM
  • 4 Replies

What do real contractions feel like? I just started feeling them and I'm not sure if they are braxton hicks or the real deal. My stomach gets tight and it feels like I am about to start my period or somehting. I am 36 weeks pregnant. Also, I feel as if i have to have a bowel movement, but nothing. Are they really painful or start out mild?

by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 10:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
maryinger
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 10:04 AM

the hardening and tightening is characteristic of both real and BH contractions. the only difference between real and BH is that BH won't dilate your cervix. the fact that you feel like you're about to start may or may not be a sign of labor. i know i knew i was in labor because i got the lower back cramping, but i've also heard cramping can happen with BH. if they become regular, frequent or painful i'd call your doc or go to L&D.

rativs
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 10:08 AM

Try walking during them.  If the pain goes away then its BH if not then its a real contraction.  With my first I knew because of just how painful it was all of a sudden and it hurt all the way into my back.  Just try to time them and if they get regular then you should go get checked out.

MonroeLoves82
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 10:11 AM

From the sound of it they are BH contractions, believe me, when the real thing comes, you will know.

Like a good debate about Mothering Hot Topics?
Come debate with us!

My name is Alli, I am a mother to two children Brady and Addison.
I am a nurse, wife, midwifery student, aspiring doula, straight edge, breastfeeding, homebirthing, non vaccinating, liberal, pro choice, future home schooling, green living, army wife, atheist, level headed, feminist.

fsuandi7
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 10:14 AM

Well, I did go into preterm labor at 23 weeks and kinda just felt like a stomach ache. I just went to go get checked out and I was actually having contractions...didn't even know. I'm just going to see what happens if pain gets worse then I should probably get checked out

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)