Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Not so sure!

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 12:11 PM
  • 4 Replies

I just recently came down with a cold and right when my cold started my tooth started to ache and hurt. I've known for awhile that the tooth hurting needs a root canal (as told by my dentist), but haven't done anything about it because of my pregnancy. Now that i've had this cold it's been hurting non-stop. I'm wondering if it's only hurting because of the cold, does that even make sense? It's just i really don't want to get a root canal until I've had the baby because i'm so scared of what it could do to our baby. Also, does anyone know if it's safe to use numbing gel on my tooth? I have some gel that's called Kanka (made by blistex) that can be used for sore gums/toothaches. I've taken tylenol once and i really don't feel like taking it more than once a day (i'm the kind of person that doesn't even take drugs when not pregnant unless i really am in that much pain). But there's no point in taking tylenol once a day when my tooth is hurting all day. Anyone gone through something similar or have good advice? Thanks!

by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 12:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Ceryn2082
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 12:12 PM

You can use the numbing gel.  I had a tooth pulled whlie pregnant- the dentists can give you the novacaine shots (sp)? but thats it, so you may want to wait.

Switching to a toothpaste for sensitve teeth helps a lot too... good luck momma.

jenni_michelle
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 12:21 PM

Yeah, I'm not to keen on just having novacaine shots - i'd like more than that while they're doing a root canal. I am using sensodyne which does help a little. Thanks - I'll definitely try the numbing gel!

Quoting Ceryn2082:

You can use the numbing gel.  I had a tooth pulled whlie pregnant- the dentists can give you the novacaine shots (sp)? but thats it, so you may want to wait.

Switching to a toothpaste for sensitve teeth helps a lot too... good luck momma.

lil_bittie
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 12:25 PM

Listen up. Your sinus cavity runs right around your teeth.  In fact, when ever I had a cold my teeth hurt like crazy.  One day I decided to call my dentist b/c it was so bad I couldn't walk.  He took x-rays and found my sinus cavity runs in between my first and second molars.  When I am congested it gets inflamed and hurst like hell.  Something I have to live with for the rest of my life.  There's no surgery to fix it. 

jenni_michelle
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 12:41 PM

Omg, thank you soo much!! I knew it couldn't be coincidental that my tooth just magically started to hurt right when i came down with a cold! That makes me feel like there is a light at the end of the tunnel!! Now if only i can get over this cold!

Quoting lil_bittie:

Listen up. Your sinus cavity runs right around your teeth.  In fact, when ever I had a cold my teeth hurt like crazy.  One day I decided to call my dentist b/c it was so bad I couldn't walk.  He took x-rays and found my sinus cavity runs in between my first and second molars.  When I am congested it gets inflamed and hurst like hell.  Something I have to live with for the rest of my life.  There's no surgery to fix it. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)