Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Has anyone on here actually birthed a breech baby?

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 1:40 PM
  • 47 Replies

I know they don't recommend it, and I know there are complications that can arise, but I'm just curious if anyone has birthed their baby feet first, and if so can you share your story with me? Will the force me to have a c-section if I'm in the hospital?? I DO NOT WANT A C-SECTION I'm so scared not to mention I will be alone just me and my baby and my 13 month old after I get out of the hosp. So I can't do that!!! I'm so scared he won't turn and they will make me have a c-section!

I'm a 24 year old, *single* mom, to a 13 month old princess, and a prince on the way. I'm 33 or 36 weeks pregnant, I've had previa, abruption, gall bladder surgery, kidney stones, preterm labor and have been passing out, but this little boy is worth it all. I've been through postpartum depression, domestic violence, my parents divorce, losing my job & becoming poor, losing my car, and my license, and becoming a single mom... all in the last year and I'm still glad to be here!!

I *LOVE* my kids more than anything else on this planet!

by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 1:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ilovemylilymae
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 1:44 PM

i never personally know anyone that has.My own dd was tranverse right until 37 weeks doctor told me if she didn't move by next visit he would schedule a c section.luckly she moved and dropped into head first position.good luck and hopefully someone can answer you better than me.

lil_bittie
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 1:49 PM

Quoting ilovemylilymae:

i never personally know anyone that has.My own dd was tranverse right until 37 weeks doctor told me if she didn't move by next visit he would schedule a c section.luckly she moved and dropped into head first position.good luck and hopefully someone can answer you better than me.

There are ways that doctors can turn the baby downward.  But there are complications.

allieC1126
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 1:50 PM

I'm scared about the same thing- I don't want a C-section either.  My doctor told me that they can manually turn the baby but it is risky so he recommends scheduling a C-Section if he hasn't turned by 38 weeks.  I am hoping and hoping he will turn back over.  I actually felt him turn into the breech position about 6 weeks ago, so I am thinking I will be able to feel when he flips back. 

Hopefully someone will have an inspiring story to share!

Ultrasound @ 15w 5d... It's a boy!

doulala
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 1:52 PM

Sure!   My friends deliver them often, lol!  :-)

(Midwives.)   Home, breech, twin-breech...   Because OBs can't do it, usually midwives are the ones.  And of course, in the rest of the world, vaginal breech is a variation of normal.   Most breech births are vaginal.

Birth is not only about making babies. Birth is about making mothers ~ strong, competent, capable mothers who trust themselves and know their inner strength.

~Barbara Katz Rothma

When you change the way you view birth, the way you birth will change. -Mongan

doulala

*Here are some graphic photos of breech birth:

http://www.birthingway.com/footling_breech.htm

If you don't know your options, you don't have any.           ~Korte & Scaer

Mothers need to know that their care and their choices won't be compromised by birth politics.                                                                                            ~Jennifer Rosenberg

Mama2Mikey

I personally haven't, but a close friend of mine gave birth to her daughter naturally, the baby came butt first. She was scheduled for a c-section and three days before that, her water broke, and it took her about an hour to get to the hospital, and her baby was born 10 minutes after that, the baby didn't want to wait. Both mom and baby were healthy and the baby is now a spunky happy 2 year old. But yeah, she said it was scary.

Lilypie 4th Birthday Ticker

Pregnancy ticker

Important Links:

ladyjones76
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 1:57 PM

butt first seem different but breech i would have thought it is difficult cause the head is out last

doulala
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 1:59 PM

It can make for a longer, slower to progress labor.

Quoting ladyjones76:

butt first seem different but breech i would have thought it is difficult cause the head is out last

"The question we ask today is not whether our government is too big or too small, but whether it works--"       ~obama

Ask this of our maternity care system, as well.

"I am a lefty, get used to it"      ~obama

Wiifeytype1025
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 2:03 PM

I think it probably has something to do with why I haven't dilated or anything yet - I started dilating at 19 weeks with my past pregnancy, but this time - nothing no softening no dilating!

I'm going to try doing the lunges and stuff assuming my hips/bones hold up, and also putting headphones or a flashlight way down low hoping to move him head down, we'll see sounds kinda fishy to me, but easy enough!! :P

I'm a little nervous too about the dr turning the baby - which I know my dr has done before, but the cord can get wrapped around their neck and they can be stillborn and that's scary!!!! :(

I'm a 24 year old, *single* mom, to a 13 month old princess, and a prince on the way. I'm 33 or 36 weeks pregnant, I've had previa, abruption, gall bladder surgery, kidney stones, preterm labor and have been passing out, but this little boy is worth it all. I've been through postpartum depression, domestic violence, my parents divorce, losing my job & becoming poor, losing my car, and my license, and becoming a single mom... all in the last year and I'm still glad to be here!!

I *LOVE* my kids more than anything else on this planet!

jamiemayz
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 2:09 PM

I had my fourth child breech. He was frank breech though. That is where their bottom is down and legs are up beside their head. Well, I went in for the version (the process that they manually turn the baby). They were doing the before procedure ultrasound and found that he had the cord wrapped around his neck so the version would have been too risky.

I REALLY didn't want a c-section so I took my plight back to my OB. He had birthing rights at a hospital that allowed breech births as long as they were very closely monitored. So he induced me the next day and I gave birth (drug free other than the potocin). I had a perfectly healthy normal baby boy. It can be done. I would opt for anything over being cut up like a turkey. I am on my sixth now and he is sideways. We are hoping he turns to birth position soon because I am 4 centimeters dilated and 70% effaced. If not then we will have to go in for the version again. LOL, Let me hope he is not as stubborn as his big brother.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)