Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

forceps, vacuum, tearing...good or bad?

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 3:10 PM
  • 4 Replies

Sorry this is long...but I really want some thoughts on this.

Ok, so with my first..I didnt have to have forceps or vacuum. I did tear though..and it was fine, because I didnt want to be cut. I'm watching A Baby Story right now though..and like countless other shows, they had to use the forceps on the girl. After all Ive read and heard about them, I am still unclear as to why they are bad. I mean, I dont want any doctor pulling my baby out by its head either..but I just want to know what the pros and cons are. Just in case I ever get told they wanna use the forceps on this baby. I know I definitely dont want the vacuum...but if they just want to turn the babies head with the forceps-not pull it out- would that be bad? She said she didnt want them to use the forceps, but they told her it was that, or having a c-section. Could she just tell them she wanted to wait longer? She was almost a 10, and they said it would be dangerous for her to go on any longer, without doing this. Im just wondering what your options would REALLY be at that point. If your doc told you that they were going to use the forceps..or cut you...or use the vacuum...how would you protest, and still be able to know that you and the baby will be safe? Any ideas and opinions are welcomed. I just usually try to protest certain things..but then the docs end up using some sort of knowledge on the matter that I hadnt heard of, or wouldnt be able to argue with..and then their suggestion wins. Like I know I dont want pitocin this time..unless I am stuck at a certain stage for more than a certain amount of hours. But I dont want the docs to make me feel like what I am doing is pointless and that I will have to end up having the pit anyway...so I might as well get it now, type of thing. Same with the forceps..I would protest..but I feel like they would just tell me it would need to happen now or I will get the c-section, and I wouldnt know what to say. Sorry if this jumped around alot. I'm just confused as to how long I should stick to my guns in situations like this.

by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 3:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
miasmommy21407
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2009 at 3:17 PM

Forceps and vacuums can cause injury to both mom and baby. I've seen and red about several cases where the vacuum caused bleeding on the brain and in a few cases possible permanent brain damage (they won't know how extensive it is until the babies are older)

They are both WAY over used in this country. In most cases if the mother was able to get into a squating position or on all 4s instead of on her back which actually makes the pelvis smaller than there wouldn't be any need for either.

As far as episotomies. Small tears heal faster and better than cuts that can be several inches. In most cases it's better to tear than to be cut. I had a tear with my daughter because I told my doctor I did not want an episiotomy. I healed quickly and do not have any issues. Often women are sow up to tight and that can cause problems in future births.

miasmommy21407
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2009 at 3:21 PM

I forgot to add...

I don't plan on giving birth on my back so this isn't likely to be an issue for me but if a women were in that position IMO she should demand to try squatting first (OFTEN CALLED THE MIDWIFE'S FORCEPS)  or not be on her back in the first place so that it's never an issue.

As far as turning the baby that can be done WITHOUT forceps. Midwives do it all the time.

3n2
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 3:34 PM

I had Forceps used with my first baby and at that point I didn't care...I know the risks.etc.  But after 36 hours of labor and this was the last 2or 3 minutes, I was not in my right mind to be telling anyone what to do, just as long as they got the baby OUT!   They also said it was that or C Section and I def. Did NOT want a C section. 

I know others probably won't agree with my reasoning and that's fine, but that's what happened with me.

My baby is now 10 years old and healthy, no issues what so ever.

mhmoj
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 6:53 PM

I had the vaccuum with both of my deliveries. I believe I will need it again. My babies seem to get stuck. My first was over 3 hours of pushing and I ended up breaking my tailbone. I feel if its needed then I will due what it takes. I had an episiotmy with my first but tore with my second. I personally likes the epi better but my doc says its better to tear. We compromised and I will settle for the shot so at least when I tear it will be a little numb.

Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)