Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mercury found in US high fructose corn syrup

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 4:34 PM
  • 10 Replies

Here's the link: http://uk.reuters.com/article/healthNews/idUKTRE50Q5IA20090127

Quote:

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Many common foods made using commercial high fructose corn syrup contain mercury as well, researchers reported on Tuesday, while another study suggested the corn syrup itself is contaminated.

Food processors and the corn syrup industry group attacked the findings as flawed and outdated, but the researchers said it was important for people to know about any potential sources of the toxic metal in their food.

In one study, published in the journal Environmental Health, former Food and Drug Administration scientist Renee Dufault and colleagues tested 20 samples of high fructose corn syrup and found detectable mercury in nine of the 20 samples.

Dufault said in a statement that she told the FDA about her findings but the agency did not follow up.

Dr. David Wallinga, a food safety researcher and activist at the nonprofit Institute for Agriculture and Trade Policy, said he followed up on the report to find mercury in actual food.

"When I learned of that work, I said that is interesting but we don't just go out and eat a spoonful of high fructose corn syrup," Wallinga said in a telephone interview.

"We went and looked at supermarket samples where high fructose corn syrup was the first or second ingredient on the label," he said. These 55 different foods included barbecue sauce, jam, yogurt and chocolate syrup.

"We found about one out of three had mercury above the detection limit," Wallinga said.

Another reason to avoid HFCS while pregnant (especially)...

Danell

Mom to Wiggles (3/31/06) and Squishy (8/29/08).

by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 4:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cali4niachef
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 4:38 PM

thanks for sharing!!!

Women should not feel guilty if they are unable to breastfeed, but they should feel guilty if they are unwilling to do so, and they should be intellectually honest enough to know the difference. - Elizabeth Gene

Apr1l
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 4:42 PM

bump, thanks for the info.

Danotoyou2
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 5:16 PM

bump

Danell

golther
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 5:17 PM

Quoting Danotoyou2:

bump

absinth13
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 5:19 PM

Anyone else find the irony in this and the commercials defending high fructose corn syrup?

mamamia23493
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 5:23 PM

bump

ILoveMy2Boys619
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 5:24 PM

Bump

Krysten309
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 5:27 PM

Hmm, well it's interesting, but not really relevant. There's no way that a "detectable" amount of mercury (as stated in the article) would amount to enough to actually do harm to you or your baby unless you consumed A LOT...I'm talking 20 containers of barbecue sauce a lot. There's more mercury in things like shrimp and salmon.

-krysten
during pregnancy
"There is no fear in love; for perfect love casts out fear ... " 1 John 4:18
Danotoyou2
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 5:33 PM

Quoting Krysten309:

Hmm, well it's interesting, but not really relevant. There's no way that a "detectable" amount of mercury (as stated in the article) would amount to enough to actually do harm to you or your baby unless you consumed A LOT...I'm talking 20 containers of barbecue sauce a lot. There's more mercury in things like shrimp and salmon.

It's not BBQ sauce that's the problem, but the things like sports drinks, sodas and the like. They have HFCS as the second ingredient, and people drink A LOT of them.

I don't have the links handy, but will look for them later. But, there's other info out about the levels. Basically, one soda per day isn't going to harm you, but 5? 6? And it's one of those that accumulates, so it won't harm you now, but after years of consuming this crap... it's not exactly beneficial to your health.

Danell

Krysten309
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 5:35 PM

I was just using BBQ sauce because it was the example I remembered from the article! hehe Not really saying that people are going to go out and start chugging it down...ew.

Quoting Danotoyou2:

Quoting Krysten309:

Hmm, well it's interesting, but not really relevant. There's no way that a "detectable" amount of mercury (as stated in the article) would amount to enough to actually do harm to you or your baby unless you consumed A LOT...I'm talking 20 containers of barbecue sauce a lot. There's more mercury in things like shrimp and salmon.

It's not BBQ sauce that's the problem, but the things like sports drinks, sodas and the like. They have HFCS as the second ingredient, and people drink A LOT of them.

I don't have the links handy, but will look for them later. But, there's other info out about the levels. Basically, one soda per day isn't going to harm you, but 5? 6? And it's one of those that accumulates, so it won't harm you now, but after years of consuming this crap... it's not exactly beneficial to your health.

-krysten
during pregnancy
"There is no fear in love; for perfect love casts out fear ... " 1 John 4:18
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)