Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mommies that have had c-sections.....

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 6:49 PM
  • 14 Replies

I'm having a c-section next week and I am a little scared and nervous. Can any of you tell me about your experiences and stories of what to expect. I would much appreciate any input any of you may have. Thank you : )

by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 6:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jennlynn121079
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 6:57 PM

my last pregnancy ended up in a c-section because of baby heart rate was too low ..and there was something else ...cant remember what it was! So I had the choice of keep pushing natural or have a c-section.  But I didn't feel a thing cause I was drug up too much and so damn tired ...I couldnt even keep my eyes open just to see my beautiful baby after the surgery! I'm having another c-section with my next pregnancy in April! ( GET THE EPIDURAL ...it helps not feeling any pain)

Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker

Steph_reynolds
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 6:59 PM

although I have heard my expedrience isnt typical, ill share it.

I had an ELECTIVE C section on AUgust 28, 2007.  I was just plain terrified of having a vaginal birth, plus, I didnt want everything down below to get destroyed. 

I went into the hospital very early on the morning of the c section, like, 6 am or something.  they did all the prep (light bloodowrk, making me drink nasty shit to control stomach acid, blood pressure, ect).  after that I was in my room (my actual room I would be staying in) until the anesthesieologist was ready.  then they took me to LnD and he painted my back with the cold ass iodine, and gave me the shot to numb my back (worst part of the whole procedure, from beginning to end, and thats only bc the medicine burns), then he did the epi and I had to swing my legs onto the table REALLY fast bc the epi for a planned C section takes effect really fast.  I was helped into a laying position, they handed me the oxygen mask in case I started feeling woozy, they hung the curtain, and then, I asked them NOT to tell me anything that ws going on behind the curtain.  I am a weirdo, and, the THOUGHT of something happening sickens me worse than it actually happening, I told them to JUST tell me when he was born, so, lol, my OB and her partner talked about his son going to South Carolina to play college baseball for the Gamecocks, haha, then, at 10:25, they told me here he is!  they cleaned him up, brought him around, and my husband took him to show him to the mass crowd of our family waiting outside.  they took me to recovery for about 30 minutes, then they took me to my room, and a few minutes later, brought Ethan back.  I had the Catheter in for 1 day (forgot to tell you that party, they did it right after hanging the curtain), I wanted to KEEP IT!  haha.  having to pee like a racehorse for months and all of a sudden I didnt have to go for over 24 hours!!  as soon as they took out the Cath, I started walking back and forth to the nurshery, bc I had been told that the longer you lay around and nurse it, the longer it will take to heal.  I insisted that Ethan stay in my room with me (even at night) and I took care of him, including BFing.  I got releasded the next day, and, everything was fine.

for the incision, I cut the absorbent part out of maxi pads, and cut them in half leingthwise, and put neosporen on my incision (a thick line) and placed the maxipad liner over that to keep it from getting all over the place, and, I dont even have a scar, no one can tell I had a C section.  when I had my staples taken out, my dr said it was probably the best incision heal she had ever seen.

katelynsmom06
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 6:59 PM

number 1 thing i want to let you know the spinal block is very bad it hurts going in and also it will knock you out within minutes of being cut. this was my experience i would not suggest getting the spinal block. take it easy for the first few days and weeks.

Jillian
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 7:10 PM

With my DD it was having her heartrate drop and i wasn't progressing i think i was stuck at 4cm anyway i had an Epidural already so when it was time i went to the OR switched beds and they put the drape upand turned up the epi. Oh yeah they shave you down there so if you can do that first, so they won't have to. Anyway after they scrubbed my belly they let my DH in and he sat by me and they test to make sure you can't feel anything and then there off. It was maybe 10 mins once they got started and she was out. Screaming and gooey, i was in recovery in about 45 mins after they wheeled me the OR. Oh and i did throw up before they started but i've always been a light weight if things make you dizzy. I'd go onto the groups and join the c-section support group they are very helpful and can answer your questions there too. I'm scheduled to have another on april 3rd and was very worried about the Spinal and they say it's not that bad and that the second one is easier then the first. but most had the first after laboring for hrs. good luck

baby

Baby Slings at Nurtured Family

mom23boys679
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 7:32 PM
You'll be ok! Take the pain meds, get up and move as soon as they let you, and having a c-section IS giving birth - don't let anyone tell you any different. IMO, gas pains are worse than the actualy recovery pains from surgery.
sylviapike26
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 7:42 PM

Get out of bed and walk as much as you can, it will not only help you heal, but also get your intestines moving so you can pass gas (take a warm Sprite to the hospital and drink it warm, it will help get the gas moving too).  Gas pain is very very painful, worse than the c-section pain IMO.  Take your pain meds, your body will heal much much better if it is not in pain.  Don't over do it.  Take all the help you can get.  Take care of you and your baby and don't worry about anyone else!  The spinal is more effective anesthetic than an epi and it also wears off much sooner so you can get up and walk around.  Take a small pillow to put between you and the seat belt for the ride home.  Good luck hon.  It is not as bad as most people make it out to be.

pregnancy week by week
babies
chel1195
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 7:48 PM

I had a csection in 05 and I will have another one this July.  I had a spinal block and it did not hurt going in and did not put me to sleep.  The csection itself was ok- I was anxious!  Do not eat... they tell you not to but, I was so hungry I had a quesadilla for lunch- yikes it came up!  Get up and walk as soon as you can it will help work out the soreness.  I was fine and pretty much back to normal as soon as the staples came out.  I was driving and doing my housework without problem! 

Brendon David born 11/09/05

Hoping for a girl! Due 07/19/2009

myspace.com/starter_wife_05

MAMA-MANDI
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 7:50 PM

I am having a planned c-section in 10 days, but my first one was an emergancy so it was pretty scarry for me. The procedure took no time and all was well i was knocked out for about 5 hours after my son was born.. my recpovery took about two weeks. I had no complecations but it took that long for me to walk upright again, and do things normally.

Mandi
gnr
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 7:51 PM

I had a c-section about three months ago. I found out the day before that I was going to have to have a C-section.  It was my first so like you I was terrified but it wasn't that bad.  After I got the spinal block I kind of freaked because I couldn't feel or move my legs and I had this weired feeling like my legs were up in the air.  SO I kept on asking them to put my legs down.  kind of weired huh.  I knew I wouldn't feel anything but it was kind of a creepy feeling.  I kind of felt like my chest was heavy like I had to force my self to breath but when I heard her cry and I saw her face I felt much better.  All and all it was pretty quick and seemed almost routine.  While I was sitting there fretting over being cut opened my Doctor and the assisting nurses were talking about the weather.  It went really fast.  Any how I think the worst is like the day after.  I was in a lot of pain so don't be afraid to ask for pain medication around the clock and don't be afraid to ask the nurses for help especially if you are breastfeeding.  Any how congrats and I hope your surgery goes well.  They day I met my daughter was the most incredible day of my life.

mikenmisty
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 7:54 PM

I had an emergency c/s at 32 weeks and it was a breeze/ I didn't have anytime to worry about it it was so quick. They gave me a spinal and it was a little uncomfortable but only because I have scoliosis and they had to stick me a  couple times, but it was complete pain relief for the rest of the day. The epidural is also good, but my sister had to keep remembering to push the button afterwards so she was in more pain than I was.

I was up and moving in 2 hours and they gave me great medicine for pain I think it was tordal and the next day i was a little bit sore but not bad. Remember to put a pillow over your incision when changing position or before coughing or sneezing.

like pp said, you have given birth,  and don't let anyone tell you any different or make you feel guilty.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)