Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

question about castor oil?

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 7:00 PM
  • 7 Replies

no im not going to take any. she still has plenty of time to come. but i do have a question about it. someone told me that taking it is like super dangerous. that it can kill the baby is that true?

baby growth

pregnancy calendar
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 7:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
jridgill
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 7:01 PM

ANYTHING like that has it's risks.  I don't think anyone can tell you for sure one way or another.

absinth13
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 7:03 PM

Some people say the contractions it causes can put the baby in distress. But just like everything else pregnancy related, it's debatable lol.

chel1195
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 7:05 PM

I have not heard that it can kill the baby but, it does not work.  I know a girl that took it within days of her due date and she got nothing but lots of diarrhea.

Brendon David born 11/09/05

Hoping for a girl! Due 07/19/2009

myspace.com/starter_wife_05

MonroeLoves82
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 7:06 PM

No, but you will be best friends with the toilet.

Like a good debate about Mothering Hot Topics?
Come debate with us!

My name is Alli, I am a mother to two children Brady and Addison.
I am a nurse, wife, midwifery student, aspiring doula, straight edge, breastfeeding, homebirthing, non vaccinating, liberal, pro choice, future home schooling, green living, army wife, atheist, level headed, feminist.

doulala
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 7:07 PM

I don't think so exactly-- directly.

Moms tend to try home remedies when they're past due (coincidentally, it's also when a greater rate for babies to pass meconium).  When mom forces herself to have incredibly intense diarrhea (as this is the intent), she might cause baby into the birth canal before his/her time...   lodging the meconium into the mouth...   baby can inhale it...     So it might increase risks...

But I think it's much more hazardous to mom's health and her expience.   :-(

Birth is not only about making babies. Birth is about making mothers ~ strong, competent, capable mothers who trust themselves and know their inner strength.

~Barbara Katz Rothma

When you change the way you view birth, the way you birth will change. -Mongan

absinth13
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 7:08 PM

I have a friend that had a baby in May. She drank a tablespoon of castor oil mixed with OJ and 4 hours later went into labor.

I think it's just one of those things that might trigger labor, but only if your body is ready for it.

Quoting chel1195:

I have not heard that it can kill the baby but, it does not work.  I know a girl that took it within days of her due date and she got nothing but lots of diarrhea.

doulala
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 7:11 PM

Just because we have not known it to work for others does not mean it's a myth.

It does work for many~ maybe about half of those is some studies.

Quoting absinth13:

I have a friend that had a baby in May. She drank a tablespoon of castor oil mixed with OJ and 4 hours later went into labor.

I think it's just one of those things that might trigger labor, but only if your body is ready for it.

Quoting chel1195:

The knowledge of how to give birth without outside intervention lies deep within each woman. Successful childbirth depends on an acceptance of the process. ~Suzanne Arms

Birth is not an emergency. It is simply an emergence.” - Jeannine Parvati Baker

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)