Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms who make their baby food....I have a ?

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 9:44 PM
  • 17 Replies

What all do you do to make your own baby food?  How do you go about making it?  I am seriously considering it this time because buying baby food was a bit cotsly with my son.

pregnancy week by week
babies
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 9:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ladyjones76
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 9:50 PM

I KNOW IF YOU GOOGLE IT THAT WILL TELL YOU

Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker
cmb121906

There is a group on cm directed towards moms that make their own baby food. You need a blender or a food processor

laidbackmommy

I found it really really easy.  I found a book by A. Karmel, 100 Top Baby Purees and a lot of it was self explanitory, but had some good "meal" recipes for later on.  What I got was an immersion blender (Target for $40) and zip-loc steamer bags.  Then I just bought fruit and veggies and steamed them in the microwave and pureed them up with some water until they were the consistancy that I wanted for my DD.  I put it in ice cube trays and froze it and then transfered it to labeled plastic bags.  I usually could make enough for two weeks in about 2 hours on the weekend.  I found it so worth it.  My DD will try anything now and I felt better feeding her things that I knew I would eat myself.  It may not always look appetizing, but it always tasted fine.  Not to mention, I found it so much cheaper to make it that it was to buy it!  Good luck to you!

sylviapike26
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 9:52 PM

Thanks, maybe a stupid question, but why do you have to freeze it?

Quoting laidbackmommy:

I found it really really easy.  I found a book by A. Karmel, 100 Top Baby Purees and a lot of it was self explanitory, but had some good "meal" recipes for later on.  What I got was an immersion blender (Target for $40) and zip-loc steamer bags.  Then I just bought fruit and veggies and steamed them in the microwave and pureed them up with some water until they were the consistancy that I wanted for my DD.  I put it in ice cube trays and froze it and then transfered it to labeled plastic bags.  I usually could make enough for two weeks in about 2 hours on the weekend.  I found it so worth it.  My DD will try anything now and I felt better feeding her things that I knew I would eat myself.  It may not always look appetizing, but it always tasted fine.  Not to mention, I found it so much cheaper to make it that it was to buy it!  Good luck to you!

pregnancy week by week
babies
ArleneE
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 9:52 PM

I only went as far as doing the vegetables and stuff like sweet potatoes and still bought some baby food but it did help cut the cost down some because I wasn't buying all baby food.  I would boil the sweet potatoes up and then taking some water and blending the sweet potatoes to a mush and it would freeze in ice cubes for storing and easily to serve servings.  I also took pears and boiled them up and  mushed them and blended them as well and froze them in ice cubes as well.  apples can be boiled up to mush as well but i never found a recipe that I wanted to try on my son. You can google recipes for baby food and start there.

tippymorgan08
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 9:54 PM

There's a group here on CM that you can join for moms who make their own food. They give great tips and advice ....

http://www.cafemom.com/group/homemadebabyfood

Also, check out this website ....

http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com

I am a Christian, natural birthing, delayed cord clamping, breastfeeding, holistic circumcising, extended rear facing, cloth diapering, co-sleeping, baby wearing, selectively vaccinating, Obama supporting, full time working, happily married, Texas momma!
sylviapike26
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 9:57 PM

Thanks ladies.

pregnancy week by week
babies
JsMomma
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 9:58 PM

I too wanted to make my dd's (our second) baby food myself. We had spent way too much money on baby food for our son, and he didn't eat baby food for very long either. This is a site I used when I was starting/ and doing it.

http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/homemade-baby-food-recipes-intro.htm

laidbackmommy
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 10:01 PM

You need to freeze it so it stays freshest if you're not going to serve it right away.  I always made enough so that I had a couple weeks worth of food.  It was really easy to thaw and serve later and I could mix and match the food too.  I just took a couple of cubes out (two or three) and put it in the microwave for 45 seconds to a minute on 50% power, stirred it up and if it wasn't warm enough then I microwaved 5-7 seconds more on high, stirring it every time until it was warm enough.

787BabyMom
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 10:03 PM

I had the Annabel Karmel books too and loved them.  I used a steamer (attached to my rice cooker, so I already had it) for most of my recipes.  I also baked some things and sauted a few others.  The recipes are cheap and easy.  I froze the food into ice cube trays and then put them into ziplock freezer bags labeled with the date and contents.  When I needed to feed my daughter, I would just pick a couple cubes of whatever (usually a couple different foods) and nuke them to defrost.  VERY cheap and easy.

Quoting laidbackmommy:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)