Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

a part of me wants this

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 5:32 PM
  • 38 Replies

so my DH and i have been talking and i told him a part of me would like to have a small baby shower for this baby.  i feel that every baby should be celebrated.  there a few big things i didn't get with my son that i would like to have now.  and there are other things that need replaced as well.  my mom told me that she didn't want to throw me a shower cause she gave me one for my son.  is it bad if me and my husband threw one?  i don't want anything big just something to have our friends and fam get together.  what do you think?  my idea was to do it at a resteraunt. 

preview image   preview image

preview image 

by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 5:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cartersmommy407
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 5:34 PM

Go for it! Maybe you guys can do a couples shower!

101InfantryWife
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 5:34 PM

I say go for it too. Every baby deserves something new.
and if your mom wont throw it.. Have your hubby do it for you! LOL

pregnancy calendar

MommyOnLI
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 5:35 PM

i personally would never throw a 2nd baby shower for myself.

do you have a friend that you can put their name on the invite but yet you pay for everything?

1st baby showers i feel its ok to throw for yourself, but not second ones... but i do BELIEVE in showers for all children.

maybe you can hold a welcoming party for your DC after they are born?  that is ok to throw yourself, IMO

SaturnsMom
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 5:38 PM

your gonna get alot of mixed response on this one ill tell you that stragiht up. 

In my personal opinion throwing your own shower shows lack of taste.  A "shower" is not really about the baby more about helping the mom TECHNICALLY.  Now if you wanted to do something like that it would be perfectly in good taste to hold an Open House AFTER baby is born but it would be in poor taste to ask for gifts.

If there are some things you want for this baby and you already have everything else you need then why is it that you cant just go ahead and get that for yourself?

Im sorry in advanced if this offends anyone but I believe in social etiquette and I wouldnt go nor would I buy gifts for someone throwing their own, SECOND, baby shower.

aphrodite7400
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 5:40 PM

i didnt have one for my second child.

NoraDun
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2009 at 5:45 PM

I wanted to have another baby shower when I found out I was pregnant with our second son but everyone in my family said that it wasn't right to have one for the same sex since I had most of what I needed. I did need some things though. Unfortunately I didn't get a baby shower or get anything from my family for my second son so hubby and I had to run out and get it! I felt the same as you so I would say YES have a baby shower!

hotmoma2006
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 5:58 PM

Like someone said before you will get a lot of mixed responses on this one. I personally think if this is something that you want go for it. You could put your husbands name as a gift from him on the invites or like one said put a friends name on it. I don't see anything wrong with a 2nd or 3rd baby showe cause they all deserve the same in my opinion though the first shower you will always have more than the second or third. I wouldn't spend to much money since that would beat the purpose. My mother in law threw my second and she is throwing my third since my husbands side loves family get together. It's not about the gifts in my family ist about the family coming together. This is my first girl and i have no girl things and the whole family is very excited! Some people will say it's greedy or its not classy but if you invite your loved ones i honestly dont think they will judge you in that way.

KareBear0609
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 5:59 PM

I agree. Throwing your own shower, whether it be your first baby or your fifth baby, shows lack of taste. Have a "meet the baby" get together once your little one arrives ... don't expect gifts but you may get a little something.

Quoting SaturnsMom:

your gonna get alot of mixed response on this one ill tell you that stragiht up. 

In my personal opinion throwing your own shower shows lack of taste.  A "shower" is not really about the baby more about helping the mom TECHNICALLY.  Now if you wanted to do something like that it would be perfectly in good taste to hold an Open House AFTER baby is born but it would be in poor taste to ask for gifts.

If there are some things you want for this baby and you already have everything else you need then why is it that you cant just go ahead and get that for yourself?

Im sorry in advanced if this offends anyone but I believe in social etiquette and I wouldnt go nor would I buy gifts for someone throwing their own, SECOND, baby shower.

JoshuasMommii
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 6:01 PM

If we have another boy we will have a diaper party and if its a girl we will either have one of our friends throw the party or we will. I see nothing wrong with it. Just tell people its to celibrate the baby and they dont have to bring gifts.

NestBaby Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

NestBaby Pregnancy Ticker
tanman0107
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 6:38 PM
i think you should have another baby shower or a diaper shower.... i had a second baby shower, and i had two boys. if you arent having the same sex i think you should just throw a baby showeer and screw what other people think.... thats just my opinion.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)