• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ticked off about my US bill- would you be?

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 1:58 AM
  • 4 Replies

So I am 33 wks along. back when I was 18 wks, i had my medically necessary 2nd Tri US done... The Drs office said that although they could do it in their office, my insurance required me to go to an outside facility (which right there seems that it would be pricier)  So I go to the place. I fill out their papers. There is a question that says, "What is your understanding of the reason for this ultrasound?"  I say, "to make sure the baby is developing correctly and to see it"

I go to the room she goops me up and we start looking at the baby on a big screen in front of me.  She kinda starts clicking back and forth between the traditional stuff and the 4-D. I asked, "Wow, is that the 4D?" "Yep" ... I was a bit shocked that they were using 4D for a medical ultrasound, but I guess I didn't say anything because I was nervous about how the baby was, and a little confused since this is my first time around... . I never took any of the initial downs tests, so this was my big, "is the baby growing right" moment... The whole thing was about 15 minutes, most of it spent measuring the brain and looking at the heart... With some fun looking, but only a small percent of it even looking at the 4D... 

Wouldn't you know, just today i get a bill, and I'm getting charged quite a bit for the 4D... Now, there were insurance adjustments and i pay like 30%after that... But the thing that ticks me off is that I DIDN'T ASK for 4D, nor did she ask MY PERMISSION to do it... and there really wasn't that much time spent on it... Not to mention at 18 weeks, the baby looks like something out of a SCI-Fi sculpture studio!  Am I wrong here? Given the option, I would have actually prefered the traditonal stuff and turned down the 4D!

Should I call and complain? Does anyone think they will remove the charge anyway?  Or do i tell my DR that the place they refered me to are a bunch of jerks?  I'm afraid to call my insurance cause they might say, "yeah, you're right, we shouldn't pay for this" then they might remove their discounts and I get stuck with the whole thing! 

What would any of you do?

by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 1:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
virgobaby1978
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 2:04 AM

I would call the u/s place and find out why your being charged for something you didn't consent to and why they didn't ask you first.

Come join Mommy's Playground. Where you can talk about anything important to you. http://www.cafemom.com/group/ourkids4life

rdnewman
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 2:12 AM

Call and talk to the doctor's office...I used to work for a dr's office in billing...and mistakes are made! just call and ask them about it.

Rachel D. Newman
haimeee09
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 2:12 AM

Yeahh I would call the Ultra Sound place first..because you should have been asked about it before they went and did it..Woooah i'd be mad! 

pregnancy

Necie72
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 2:48 AM

that's crazy...  i'd call them...  when going for genetic testing ultrasounds they did them in the traditional view.  i later had to go back because i was being monitored for preeclampsia.  it was the second visit that i was surprised when the tech switched to 4D.  they put it all on disc and everything...  they didn't ask me, but my insurance covered everything, so i doubt they charged a separate fee or anything crazy...  call and ask/complain...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)