• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Questions about being overdue. Need answers please.

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 5:09 AM
  • 11 Replies

So I was " officially " due Feburary 5th, and here it is the 13th of Feburary and still no baby. I know , I know " The baby will come when he's ready "  I'm just starting to get a little worried, this is not my first child but it's been 8+ years since my first - who came a few days before his due date.  

My husband was military at the start of this pregnancy, so I was being seen on base, tricare expired and we started seeing a civilian doctor only a few weeks ago, I've been seen only once by said doctor, and once at L&D on the 1st because I thought my water was leaking.I found out I was 2 centimeters dialated then.   The nurses assured me it wasn't my water leaking, and that maybe it was discharge. it doesnt really have an odor, it's the consistency of water, and it happens randomly all day long. I do have irregular contractions that are pretty painful but always go away at some point. I guess My issue is this.. I'm worried about exactly how long overdue you can be before it becomes unsafe, because the doctor I'm seeing now never schedules me appointments, and I'm worried that if it gets to the point of being unsafe for the baby, that he won't induce me either.    - 

If I was two centimeters dialated on the first, am still having leakage, and contracting ( however irregular )  and I end up going back into L&D to get checked out, at what point should a doctor mention or even acknowledge the fact that I am this many days overdue?  And if I go back in, mention whats going on ( body wise ) and am overdue but havent dialated much more will they just send me home?! Sorry this is so long, but I feel almost like they're not treating me like a patient, and arent giving me any answers because of the fact I havent been seen there the whole 9 months 

by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 5:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
787BabyMom
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 5:49 AM

Before the naturalists get on here, I believe 42 weeks is the limit most OBs prefer to wait before inducing an overdue baby.  I think this is because your EDD can be off  by up to 2 weeks either way.  I can't imagine how much taht must stink to be sitting around just waiting and praying to go any minute.  Keep your chin up!

kimbersen
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 7:16 AM

Yeah.  I've heard/read numerous times that up to 42 weeks is considered normal.  I don't want to have to be induced, I was given Pitocin during labor with my first child, and that wasn't the best  outcome, I guess My concern is that the doctor I'm seeing ( or not seeing lol ) is not really invested in my prenatal care, and that he'll never show concern over me being overdue, because he hasnt thus far.  switching doctors now would be completely pointless.  So I've been relying on trips to L&D whenever I feel something is wrong.

I fear that if i go in at some point whether dialated a bit more or not, that If my water hasn't broken, or that I'm not in active labor that they'll just keep sending me home.  I feel okay, uncomfortable, and crampy but not anything terribly worrisome, So my question is if this doctor doesnt see me again before I'm 42 weeks, should I just go into L&D and be like.. okay I'm 42 weeks, and I need a course of action?  lol  ( given that I havent gone into labor naturally by then of course )

jenjobrien
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 7:24 AM

They wouldnt let me go past 42 weeks.  So I would say up to 42 weeks is ok but once you get past 42 weeks something needs to be done.

Rlambert6002
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 8:20 AM

Your doctor should be seeing you weekly at this point (I may have misinterpreted but I'm getting the impression that he isn't?) I would call the office and ask them why I wasn't being seen regularly. You are a patient...period...and the fact that you haven't been with him for the entire duration of your pregnancy shouldn't affect the quality of care you are getting. I would insist upon being seen within the next day or two (today if possible) and once there I would as politely as possible address to the doctor my concerns about being overdue (along with the bodily symptoms, etc.) Myself I would never go past 42 weeks...as a pp mentioned that is controversial amongst alot of moms...but that is how I feel based on info I have read as well as the experiences of others I know who have went past 42 weeks. In the meantime I would just make sure to keep a log of the fetal kick count and make sure it is normal.

Lilypie Kids birthday TickerLilypie Kids birthday Ticker

TickerShack.com Ticker

Daisypath Next Aniversary Ticker

michelle6_10
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 8:25 AM

Quoting kimbersen:

Yeah.  I've heard/read numerous times that up to 42 weeks is considered normal.  I don't want to have to be induced, I was given Pitocin during labor with my first child, and that wasn't the best  outcome, I guess My concern is that the doctor I'm seeing ( or not seeing lol ) is not really invested in my prenatal care, and that he'll never show concern over me being overdue, because he hasnt thus far.  switching doctors now would be completely pointless.  So I've been relying on trips to L&D whenever I feel something is wrong.

I fear that if i go in at some point whether dialated a bit more or not, that If my water hasn't broken, or that I'm not in active labor that they'll just keep sending me home.  I feel okay, uncomfortable, and crampy but not anything terribly worrisome, So my question is if this doctor doesnt see me again before I'm 42 weeks, should I just go into L&D and be like.. okay I'm 42 weeks, and I need a course of action?  lol  ( given that I havent gone into labor naturally by then of course )

You can totally do that!  That's pretty much what I did.  I didn't want to be induced and my doc was treating me like total crap so I dropped her at 42 weeks.  I then went in and just told the L&D nurses what was going on and got a different doctor.  I did have pit because I felt it was safer to be induced then be pregnant without a doctor looking over my care.

Sarena83
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 8:44 AM

Quoting 787BabyMom:

Before the naturalists get on here, I believe 42 weeks is the limit most OBs prefer to wait before inducing an overdue baby.  I think this is because your EDD can be off  by up to 2 weeks either way.  I can't imagine how much taht must stink to be sitting around just waiting and praying to go any minute.  Keep your chin up!

Tactful.

OP:  You poor thing!  How awful to have to switch docs so late and get someone who doesn't even care about you.  :-(  You are probably right that switching again so late would be pointless.  Hang in there Mama and let's all hope that he's a better L & D doc.  :~)

In the meantime, congratulations on making it this long, that's a lot of work!  I went exactly 17 days overdue w/ DD.  It was rough & everytime I went in to L & D they wanted to induce me.  I just could tell everything was fine, y'know?  And it was.  Just sit down every now and then to relax.  Pay attention to how you feel & you'll know that you & baby are fine.  Trust your baby & body to know when the time right. 

GL Mama!

~Sarena~
kimbersen
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 8:45 AM

Quoting Rlambert6002:

Your doctor should be seeing you weekly at this point (I may have misinterpreted but I'm getting the impression that he isn't?) I would call the office and ask them why I wasn't being seen regularly. You are a patient...period...and the fact that you haven't been with him for the entire duration of your pregnancy shouldn't affect the quality of care you are getting. I would insist upon being seen within the next day or two (today if possible) and once there I would as politely as possible address to the doctor my concerns about being overdue (along with the bodily symptoms, etc.) Myself I would never go past 42 weeks...as a pp mentioned that is controversial amongst alot of moms...but that is how I feel based on info I have read as well as the experiences of others I know who have went past 42 weeks. In the meantime I would just make sure to keep a log of the fetal kick count and make sure it is normal.

Correct.  The civilian doctor we recently changed to has barely seen me. and when he has it's been such a quick once over kind of appointment. Almost like he's just " fitting me in " and doing the very bare minimum.  I know they're supposed to be weekly appointments at this stage, but that isn't how it's worked out since switching doctors/ hospitals.  for the most part since switching 99% of my care has come from me walking in to L&D because I felt the need to be checked up on.

As far as kick counts.  the baby still moves quite frequently. frequently enough that I had at one point wondered if he had even gotten into the head down position lol.  when I was in L&D last week, I was informed along with being 2 centimeters he was head down, he had a strong heartbeat etc.  aside from the all day contractions/cramping ( that arent regular, or close together ) and the leaking/discharge It's almost as if I'm nowhere near laboring.

kimbersen
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 8:55 AM

Quoting Sarena83:

Quoting 787BabyMom:

Tactful.

OP:  You poor thing!  How awful to have to switch docs so late and get someone who doesn't even care about you.  :-(  You are probably right that switching again so late would be pointless.  Hang in there Mama and let's all hope that he's a better L & D doc.  :~)

In the meantime, congratulations on making it this long, that's a lot of work!  I went exactly 17 days overdue w/ DD.  It was rough & everytime I went in to L & D they wanted to induce me.  I just could tell everything was fine, y'know?  And it was.  Just sit down every now and then to relax.  Pay attention to how you feel & you'll know that you & baby are fine.  Trust your baby & body to know when the time right. 

GL Mama!

Thank you!

17 days overdue, I cannot even imagine yet I'm not far behind. I was young when I had my first child, and so I am positive I was a bit naive and under-informed about many things, With this pregnancy it seems the more I know the more nervous it makes me lol.  Now all I ever hear about is how dangerous it is to go to/past 42 weeks, so being 41 weeks and feeling like I'm nowhere near having him has me worried that it will be harmful to the baby.  

the silliest part is I keep feeling like I won't know when it's real labor.  ( as if the pain won't be a good indicator lol ) it seems to have been an eternity since my first. My water partially broke with my oldest son though which is how i knew for sure I was in labor, but I know not everyone has their water break before going in, my irrational fear is I will be in labor, and not know it, because I'm expecting much more.

bluestarr80
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 9:53 AM

It's unusal for a OB to let their patients go over a week overdue before admitting them to the hospital to induce labor.

I would call your OB and ask him to call the hospital to get ready to admit you.

sparklebug86
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 10:09 AM

thats what I was thinking or if that doesnt work I would go into L&D on my own and demand that they do something. The further overdue you get, the placenta starts to deteriorate (sp?)

Quoting bluestarr80:

It's unusal for a OB to let their patients go over a week overdue before admitting them to the hospital to induce labor.

I would call your OB and ask him to call the hospital to get ready to admit you.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)