Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

38wks preg and my milk came in?!?

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 7:07 AM
  • 7 Replies

Yesterday I noticed my breasts had gotten larger overnight...I was irritated...how much bigger will they get with this baby?

And then, while getting dressed for bed....they seemed a little bigger still and a little tender.

This morning, they are hard and full, heavy and more than tender, they are sore!

This my 4th pregnancy and I do breastfeed, but I've never have this happen before.

Has anyone else experienced this and what is going on?!?!  Thanks in advance for you advice.

by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 7:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
orcadarwin
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 7:13 AM

Mine have been leaking for almost this entire pregnancy.  My doctor told me that it's just that they are saying, "We're ready, bring on the baby."  Not sure what you can do about it though. 

4SweetCrazies
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 8:03 AM

Any more thoughts???  Thnx!

Sabrina3876
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 8:05 AM

I have never experienced this, but I think it is okay. I have a friend whose milk didn't come in until her baby was 2 weeks old and she went 2 weeks over her due date. I would say pump and freeze the milk. If you don't express it someway your body will think it isn't needed and it will dry up.

TigerBaby69
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 10:28 AM

I went from a 36B so almost a DD but this was after my daughter was born. I am just 4 weeks and 1 day as far as I know right now according to my doctor...and my boobs hurt soooooo bad it brings me to tears and they got a little bigger. I wish they would stay big because after I had my DD they went away.

pregnancy due date
4SweetCrazies
by on Feb. 18, 2009 at 2:10 PM

UPDATE

Just wanted to say thanks again for the info and advice and let you all know: I'm 8 days from due date-still preggers.

Doctor said yesterday i probably was noticing let down/early engorgement and that it was correct NOT to pump as this would bring on contractions...ha! At this point I want this baby out.

Anyway, he said I can chock this one up to it being my 4th baby and having nursed each of my previous babies...body knows what to do and is gearing up for the big day!

cali4niachef
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 5:23 PM

Lactogenisis II doesn't occur until til about 72hrs after delivery of placenta. So your volume of colostrum may have increased. Your milk comes in 2-5days after birth, it varies greatly if its your first nursling, if you are still nursing another child at the time of birth, if you have a c/s, etc. Your colostrum changed to a "transitional milk" for two weeks and then your mature milk comes in. HTH!

~ Cindy
Mama to Reed and Jonas, wife to Rodney, Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, Midwife-to-be, working on LLL Leader Accreditation, professionally trained baker, coffee addict, lactavist, birth junkie, born and raised in the San Francisco bay area, born-again Christian and attachment parenting mama!

CristaJordan
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 8:02 PM

I'm 34 weeks pregnant and my breast leak a lot so I have to wear pads. Don't feel bad,its normal.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)