Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teeth after pregnancy

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 8:06 AM
  • 9 Replies

I have a question for you post preggos!

I went to the dentist before I was pregnant and everything was great! I have great teeth...always have. WELL I went after I had my son...9 months..okay maybe 10 and now I need a TON of dental work.  It's like the pregnancy runined my teeth. I've heard of this before with other people...but the dentist assured me that pregnancy doesn't ruin your teeth.

Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks!

by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 8:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
VaNavyMom2b2009
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 8:11 AM

Yes, it can "ruin" your teeth. I am 30 weeks and I actually had a wisdom tooth removed a month ago b.c out of NOWHERE I got really sick from it. And, it was filled. They found a HAIRLINE crack......

The rest of my fillings have been bothering me but not to a point of infection as the wisdom tooth was acting. Just extra sensitivity.....Pregnancy makes them "weak" if that makes sense..........with the unborn taking soooo much from you, it weakens them even more.

I actually need (minor) dental work, like you, after my son is born in April.... of course all due to my pregnancy. Not looking forward to that! (lol).

Quoting lausta:

I went to the dentist before I was pregnant and everything was great! I have great teeth...always have. WELL I went after I had my son...9 months..okay maybe 10 and now I need a TON of dental work.  It's like the pregnancy runined my teeth. I've heard of this before with other people...but the dentist assured me that pregnancy doesn't ruin your teeth.

Thanks!

lausta
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 8:23 AM

I'm sorry :( I'm glad I'm not alone though!

BooBear81
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 9:14 AM

I had a tooth BREAK out of nowhere on Sunday of last week. The dentist said because there is no pain, they aren't going to do any work until after the baby comes... I am high risk and he doesn't want to stir up an infection if there isn't a need.

But it's so weird. I have never had *perfect* teeth and I have been taking extra care of them during pregnancy- brushing after every meal and flossing twice a day... and my mouth is just falling apart.

mom2bmjb
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 11:45 AM

My teeth are killing me see the dentist on Feb 25th.

Youngmom2be0209
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 1:17 PM

It is the pregnancy! Ive always had perfect teeth. Well i havent been able to take any vitamins this pregnancy (every time i try i throw them up from prenatals to flinstones) and now i have like 6 cavities. The baby takes calcium and other nutrients out of your body. My friend had the same problem with her pregnancy she didnt find out till she was 5 mos (dont ask how) so she was deprived too and she was eating grapes and 2 of her teeth feel out right in front of me... Scared me through this whole pregnancy! I even have dreams that ive lost teeth since ive been preggo

sparklebug86
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 1:23 PM

That makes complete sense!

Quoting VaNavyMom2b2009:

Pregnancy makes them "weak" if that makes sense..........with the unborn taking soooo much from you, it weakens them even more.

Quoting lausta:

Thanks!

Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker

lacey82606
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 1:25 PM

yes! i had the same thing happen to me with DS! i had NEVER had anything wrong with my teeth EVER, and all of a sudden i had a bad cavity! WTH!

my dentist said it had nothing to do with the pregnancy either... but the same thing happened to my sister... but she had NINE!!!

theres gotta be a link somewhere!

truckincowgirl
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 1:28 PM

My mom swore we ruined her teeth. lol

Then I had two kids (on our third) and my teeth are awful!! I have had some heavy work done and there is plenty more to go.

Youngmom2be0209
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 1:29 PM

It just makes sense. How can they say its not pregnancy related when it happens to all these woman during pregnancy??? My doc explained to me that since i was not taking the vitamins she will get them from my body somehow. Pretty much like a parasite (not to sound mean but thats how he put it). I lost weight and was vomiting everything up for months and shes a healthy 7lbs at least right now. Ill find out monday lol

Quoting lacey82606:

yes! i had the same thing happen to me with DS! i had NEVER had anything wrong with my teeth EVER, and all of a sudden i had a bad cavity! WTH!

my dentist said it had nothing to do with the pregnancy either... but the same thing happened to my sister... but she had NINE!!!

theres gotta be a link somewhere!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)