Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm scared... need advice **update in red** sorry long

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 11:46 AM
  • 33 Replies

I've been having contractions non-stop since Monday but they won't get regular.

My plan is to stay at home as long as possible to labor but I'm getting scared that something is wrong... I haven't gone longer than 20 mins without having a contraction... I've just been *trying* to sleep either between them or through the milder ones.

At times they come 2 mins apart and are strong, and at other times, mild and 15 mins apart... the part that's worrying me is that my contractions never got regular with my other pregnancy until after they gave me pitocin... (I was progressing, VERY VERY slowly, but they still weren't regular) and I had her @ 37w5d...

So according to my drs due date, I'm 35w5d, but even if the sperm was inside my body for 10 days before meeting up with my egg and it took another 4 days to implant, that puts my due date 7 days earlier than he is saying... I feel MUCH more comfortable with a March 1 due date... Which would put me about the same as when I delivered my daughter, at last measurement my fundal height was 45 cm @ 34 weeks, and baby was measuring almost 7 lbs and around 4 weeks ahead at the sono 3 weeks ago.

I called my dr office Wed. and they were rude and basically said there's nothing they can do for me, and not to bother calling back until my contractions are REGULAS for several hours at 5 min or less and last 1 min and I can't talk through them.

Problem 1 -- I have to take the bus to the hosp... carry my 1 year old to grandmas (6 blocks) then walk 12 blocks to the hospital... If I were to get regular on my own... and wait that long, I'll deliver in a snowbank on the way (labor was only 4 hrs with my daughter)

Problem 2 - Last night I tried to check my cervix but couldnt reach but when I pushed a big gush of fluid came out... ever since then I've felt pressure with every contraction.

I'm scared to call them because they yelled at me last time, idk what to do. What would happen if I went to the other hospital in town and asked to see someone else? Will they let me see someone there? I just feel like I've been in labor since Monday and something is wrong - he is still moving but nowhere near as much and now it feels like slow motion like he's "slowing down" or something :(

I really wanted to labor at home and only go in to deliver, but I dont know if I can or will get regular and idk if I'm progressing I'd hate to end up with the urge to push and I'm still @ home!!!! :(

UPDATE: I'm so fed up with dr's its not even funny, especially MY drs.

So I had my exes sister meet me at the hospital to pick up my dd, and then went upstairs.. tell them whats going on, they get me in a room and on a monitor and ask some questions n they start seeing the contractions, every 5 mins, but at this point they are kinda milder than they were. (Like i said originally they go back and forth) Anyway, they didnt have me pee in a cup which I thought was weird cuz normally they do.. but the nurse got everything ready and (still have no clue why they did this and they wouldnt answer me) they did a complete check - like for std's (even though theyve checked like 5 times this pregnancy and I keep telling them I havent had sex since June 8... but w/e.  Anyway, they did that, and a swab to see if my fluid was leaking, its not. BUT my contractions were very much in full swing, and of course my dr doesnt believe me that my due date is off, so she gives me iv fluids, told me to drink 32 oz water/1.5 hours -- took them 3 tries and 3 blown veins to get my iv in, so my rt arm is so sore I can barely move it and my left hand is throbbing, yay! All because she said I was "just dehydrated" even tho my urine was perfectly clear, and I had told her I had 3 32 oz pitchers of water and a 20 oz gatorade, and a glass of milk already (and it was only like 3 something) but hey whatever... gave me fluids, contractions got stronger and closer together.. they checked me, I was at 1/2 cm which is what I was last week..

So, I asked if I could get up and walk around, and try to get them to progress my cervix... They said no, and also said no to a birthing ball, they wouldnt let me do anything to help them along. I'm like are you kidding? It's my pregnancy and no matter how much I walk if its not true labor it wont work... but whatever, they didnt care. So I had to lay flat on my back and stare at the wall (the tv wasnt working and I was there alone) So my contractions are getting really painful and starting to irritate my kidney (I have known kidney problems) and I tell the nurse, she comes in BANGS ON MY KIDNEY A FEW TIMES, which literally sent me flying off the bed... I was like like omg dont touch that anymore. Shes like oh did that hurt?! Are you freaking kidding me? You saw me jump ten feet off the bed right? At 9 mos pregnant!!! Ugh, so the dr comes in and is all "Ok well I think you might be in labor, I'm just going to give youa shot to stop it -- mind you this is 2-3 hours later, and I'm STILL having really bad contractions and they didnt even check me and I'm freaking 36+ weeks, why would they STILL be giving me procardia and terbutaline?! They SAID they wouldnt give me any after 34 weeks, so I refused it and I could tell it made her mad.. but whatever. I've had nightmares that they kept giving it to me and I had a stillborn... like I get panic attacks over it.. and I refused it. So she checked me, I was about 2 cm, so THERE LADY I am progressing even laying on my freaking back in this bed. She knew I hadnt really slept in the last 5 days, so she suggested I take a shot of morphine and try to get some sleep and either "you'll wake up in labor or if not, youll be well rested" Right, so I decided I would since I really had slept less than 8 hours in the last 5 days!!  Get the shot around 11, by 2 am I'm still wide awake, everytime I get almost asleep the mother of all contractions kicks my ass. You could clearly see them on the monitor going to 100 or so from less than 20.. hello, those are pretty strong. sure I had way worse ones when I had pitocin and i was in transition last time but THESE ARE REALLY STRONG FOR NOT EVEN 3 CM!!!

I call my nurse around 2-3 and ask her if I can please please get a birthing ball, she again said the dr told her no and no walking. Are you kidding me? Oh I forgot to mention instead of doing a urine sample, they made me do a catherer for a sample when they did the iv... then the fucking lab lost the urine sample AND THEY DID ANOTHER ONE. I wanted to scream.

So I fell asleep finally from around 4 to 530 waking up 2-3 times so they could adjust the monitor to get the babys heart back on. Ugh... So the whole night last night (even when i was sleeping) the contractions showed up constant with no longer than a 12 min. break in them. So what do they do this morning? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. I asked them to check me around 10, she did, and said "Nope, still 3 cm" I'm like ok well I was a ltitler over 2 before... so thats another cm... so in less than 12 hours I had dilated 3 cm.. so their conclusion, send me home.

yeah, explain that logic to me. The dr didnt even come see me this morning, just looked at my papers from the monitor, and was like ok discharge her, its not real labor, she's not progressing. Ok 3 cm in 12 hours isnt progressing? I progressed so slow with my daughter that they gave me pitocin! If *my* dr has been there instead of the other dr, he probably would have broke my water this morning. But yeah so here I am at home, still having contractions, still in pain, still feeling pressure, and now I'm just pissed off and dont even wanna go back there. So, until I get the damn urge to push, I'm planted right here. Doing some damn squats, and the stairs, and got off the bus a few blocks early so I could walk 9 blocks home instead of 6... and i plan to take another walk in a few hours. I'm so irritated that they just sent me home saying I'm not progressing. yeah maybe not fast enough for you but I'm progressing!!!!!

Sorry this is so long, just needed to vent.

My doula might come over later and she can help me with laboring at home, and she said if she goes in with me they might be more apt to listen. She was gonna come last night but i told her til i get to 4, not to come, well they never let me, and now my cervix is too hard for me to check bc it shortened a few cm and i can barely reach. ugh so we'll never know if I'm progressing cuz these sure the hell make me stop in my tracks and feel like active labor contratcions! But what do I know right??

UPDATE AGAIN: I ended up going back in after I fell last night, everything is good, but they did have to keep me for 24 hours. The good news is that they gave me a pill to help me sleep last night and IT WORKED and my body relaxed enough for the contractions to stop. I'm still having a few here and there but its back to normal!!! I'm so thrilled. I either wanted to bring a little baby boy home with me, or for them to stop so I could rest, and at lest 1 of those happened, and within the next few weeks he will be here fore sure so I'm fine with being well rested when he gets here. They gave me 10 of the pills to take home with me so I can take them if it happens again! Lets hope the next time I'm in L&D I make it through pushing!!!! lol

I'm a 24 year old, *single* mom, to a 14 month old princess, and a prince on the way. I'm 36 or 39 weeks pregnant, I've had previa, abruption, gall bladder surgery, kidney stones, preterm labor and have been passing out, but this little boy is worth it all. I've been through postpartum depression, domestic violence, my parents divorce, losing my job & becoming poor, losing my car, and my license, and becoming a single mom... all in the last year and I'm still glad to be here!!

I *LOVE* my kids more than anything else on this planet!

by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 11:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Wondering722
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 11:52 AM

Go to the hospital.  They can check you there, and call your doctor themselves.  You don't need to call your doctor if they are going to be rude.  If you had fluid gush out, was it clear? 

Usually, yes, doctors will say not to call them back until your crontractions are 5 minutes apart and they last for a minute and you can't talk through them.  But if fluid came out of you, I would go to the hospital or call my doctor and tell them I had fluid come out.  You don't want an infection. 

Now you got me worried for you.  :) Go get checked out. 

fun_mommyof3
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 11:55 AM

Wow, do you have any family near you that can come stay with your LO while you go get checked out?  If I were you, I think that I would take your 1yr old to your grandma's and get to the hospital, for real!  I know that at my hospital you can go to triage 3 times before they charge you again.  Which means you can go twice and be in false labor.  At least they will check you and see where your at.  The fluid coming out is what I would be worried about, do you think it could have been urine?  I know that after a child or two that can happen :)  Definitely at the very least, call the doctor again and tell them about that.  Who cares if they sound irrited by you....that's their job.  Don't let them scare you out of asking important questions!  Update when you find out what's going on, good luck!

Savvychick
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 11:55 AM

I would say go to the Dr ASAP. Exspecially since you had a gush of fluid.

amanda0320
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 11:57 AM

I agree they will usually want to see you if there is fluid leakage.Im sry that they were rude to you. 

pregnancy
lillysmomma124
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 11:58 AM

YES for shore i would do what this lady said!!!!!!!! who cares id they  was rude to you.. your paying them to do there job.. i would just go to the l/b at your hospital.. i wouldn't even call the doc i would just go

Quoting Wondering722:

Go to the hospital.  They can check you there, and call your doctor themselves.  You don't need to call your doctor if they are going to be rude.  If you had fluid gush out, was it clear? 

Usually, yes, doctors will say not to call them back until your crontractions are 5 minutes apart and they last for a minute and you can't talk through them.  But if fluid came out of you, I would go to the hospital or call my doctor and tell them I had fluid come out.  You don't want an infection. 

Now you got me worried for you.  :) Go get checked out. 

kingandqueen103
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 11:59 AM

I absolutely agree.  Do what you need to do with your daughter & get to the hospital.  You need to be checked & at least have the baby monitored if you've felt a change in movement.  You're risking infection if it was your water that broke.  Good luck!

Quoting Savvychick:

I would say go to the Dr ASAP. Exspecially since you had a gush of fluid.

Wiifeytype1025
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 12:02 PM

I don't know if it was water or not, it took me by surprise, but I really dont think I'm dilated more than 1 cm, can you water break if youre barely even opened up?

And I just dont know WHICH hospital to go to. I'm so scared that if I go they will be rude to me because they will send my dr over and he's convinced that theres no possible way my due date is wrong and he said he would not do anything to help my contractions along until after 37 weeks, even if I come in 6 cm dilated, he'd just keep me there until I deliver, even if it takes a week. Can't that hurt my baby? I am 100% sure my due date is wrong by at least 1 week!

I'm a 24 year old, *single* mom, to a 14 month old princess, and a prince on the way. I'm 35 or 38 weeks pregnant, I've had previa, abruption, gall bladder surgery, kidney stones, preterm labor and have been passing out, but this little boy is worth it all. I've been through postpartum depression, domestic violence, my parents divorce, losing my job & becoming poor, losing my car, and my license, and becoming a single mom... all in the last year and I'm still glad to be here!!

Wiifeytype1025
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 12:05 PM

As for the fluid, this is how it was, i went to the bathroom, and afterwards, i got up and washed my hands, and then went back to the toilet and tried to check my cervix, I didnt feel it so I reached further in, and a gush of fluid, maybe 3-4 oz.. and it was clear, but I've had a weird smell for about 2-3 days now, it smells sort of like metal or something, sorry if thats tmi, but ive had it for a few days, and it smelled like that, so I think maybe it was just discharge, I'm still huge (have high fluids) so I don't think its any big deal as far as if it was my water just because I havent felt anymore (other than what id consider normal) since then, but it still took me by surprise so I havent tried to check since, but I'm worried I'm progressing and idk what to do about it because the contractions arent regular.

I'm a 24 year old, *single* mom, to a 14 month old princess, and a prince on the way. I'm 35 or 38 weeks pregnant, I've had previa, abruption, gall bladder surgery, kidney stones, preterm labor and have been passing out, but this little boy is worth it all. I've been through postpartum depression, domestic violence, my parents divorce, losing my job & becoming poor, losing my car, and my license, and becoming a single mom... all in the last year and I'm still glad to be here!!

fun_mommyof3
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 12:12 PM

Please go the the hospital!  Doesn't matter which one, go get checked out.  Your doctor can't get "mad" at you for being worried and if he does, he's a terrible doctor and you shouldn't care.  Please just go get checked out, no matter what you have to do to get there, if you lived near me, I'd come pick you up and take you myself.

kaciewor
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 12:15 PM

You need to go. Don't put it off any longer.

Proud wife to Jeff~  Mommy to Lainey* expecting Carley Rae April 30th!stork

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)