Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

anyone know about anemia?

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 3:14 PM
  • 9 Replies

my doc's office just called to tell me i'm anemic. what problems does that pose during pregnancy? i'm pretty sure it explains why i am so tired and get exhausted walking around the house....

by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 3:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Kaleigh92805
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 3:16 PM

I was also anemic with both of my pregnancies. It made me hot and dizzy. I mean I couldnt even go to walmart and walk around without feeling like I was going to pass out. You need more iron

sosojenn
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 3:17 PM

I was severely anemic during my first pregnancy.
I was super weak and always felt like I was going to pass out.
It's easy to treat (with those horrid iron pills).
Also I was constantly chewing on ice.

KaelensMommy06
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 3:54 PM

I was anemeic with my son and also with this baby I am super tired and hot and if I'm somewhere with my coat on for two long I feel like I'm gonna pass out. I also had to get the flinstone vitimins with iron in them

MandaMck
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 4:29 PM

Yep, same here. I've been anemic with this pregnancy. The dr prescribed some iron supplement for me to take, you can get some over the counter too though.  Just make sure you are getting plenty of fiber also, because the iron can constipate you pretty bad, and can make your stool look black, (i know TMI) But figured you'd like to know just in case.

cali4niachef
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 4:33 PM

Adding some Nettle and Dandelion herbal tea will help.

Get some Flordiax Iron Supplement
http://www.florahealth.com/flora/home/usa/products/r64771.asp

other_mother
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 4:53 PM
If you are taking iron, your body will absorb it better if you take it with orange juice. Avoid taking it with any calcium because the calcium makes it harder to absorb.
pregnancy week by week
MadisynsMom0114
by on Feb. 15, 2009 at 4:25 PM

I was anemic during pregnancy and I still am anemic!!! I was constantly tired, feeling exhausted, dizzy, weak and skin was yellow. I had to take these green iron pills that looked like M&M's. They left a nasty taste in my mouth!!!

lipstickclouds
by on Feb. 15, 2009 at 4:41 PM

Awww I am sorry, that is hard. Anemia really takes a lot out of you, so it makes sense that you are so tired. I have had anemia during all 4 of my pregnancies ( and while I'm not pregnant too but it gets a little better), because I have ulcers which cause a lot of blood loss, and they always get worse when I am pregnant. It made me really exhasuted, but my babies were totally healthy, so hopefully that makes you feel a little better. The baby takes the iron first, so momma ends up a little short sometimes. My first 2 pregnancies were the worst, I had to get several blood transfusions because my hematacrit was so low, and during my 3rd pregnancy my OB decided to have me go in for iron infusions so it would't get so bad. It was basically an outpatient thing where I would go to the hospital for an hour and a half, and sit and look at magazines and watch TV while I got iron serum through an IV, which was much faster than going in to get a blood transfusion. Because my anemia was pretty bad the treatment was more aggressive, but it depends too on the doctor.

I think the treatment usually starts with taking an iron supplement, but it depends on how low your counts are, so you should ask your doctor if there's anything special you should do. Focus on eating really well, here is a list of foods that are helpful :

http://www.innvista.com/health/ailments/anemias/foodanem.htm

They sell iron over the counter but a prescription supplement might work better for you, I had to take so many pills in a day that they would upset my stomach if I didn't take them on a full stomach, so that would probably be helpful too.

Good luck to you, I hope you are able to start getting it under control and feel better soon!

cali4niachef
by on Feb. 15, 2009 at 5:05 PM

Have you had any blood work done recently? You should try Floridax too!

I thought I was anemic, I had similar symptoms and other ones. I saw my family doctor, he diagnosed me with Hyperthyroidism. In turn an Endocrinologist diagnosed me with Graves Disease (sever Hyperthyroidism).

Quoting MadisynsMom0114:

I was anemic during pregnancy and I still am anemic!!! I was constantly tired, feeling exhausted, dizzy, weak and skin was yellow. I had to take these green iron pills that looked like M&M's. They left a nasty taste in my mouth!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)