Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

RHA Negative-Roghram shot (PIOG)

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 7:26 PM
  • 7 Replies

So since Wednesday night I have had bleeding and spotting on and off.  I am RH negative and they gave me my shot early.  I guess I was suppose to get it at 28 weeks.  Anyone else

by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 7:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
tiff_katie4life
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 7:28 PM

im 10 weeks 5 days and i got my shot at 8 weeks cuz i was doing the same thing

militaryfam4
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 7:28 PM

yes i am Rh neg. and this is my 3rd baby. usually thats the case but...... they tell you that if you start spotting and bleeding that you need the shot asap. its so your body doesn't fight against the baby. its good if you get it cuz your bleeding its not going to hurt if you weren't 28 weeks yet or not.

army_wifey_06
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2009 at 7:29 PM

I also have a negative blood type so I'll be getting the Rhogam shot at 28 weeks and then again after delivery if the baby is a positive blood type. With my last pregnancy I had spotting at like 6 weeks and needed one then too but so far with this pregnancy I haven't had one yet.

JGRIMMER
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 7:30 PM

Yeah, after they found out I was RH neg, I was spotting and had to get the shot.  I wasn't that far along.  Then there was a second time when I was bleeding after sex and they gave me another shot the next day.  Then  got one after I had him.  It's to prevent your body from building up immunities against any future children.

ambermilton
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 8:08 PM

Yeah, I had to have that shot with my son, and after I had him. And this time I need it at 28 weeks, and again after I have the baby. Have to have it with every pregnancy I guess.

MichaelsCasey
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2009 at 11:48 PM

I spotted at around 8 weeks because of a blood clot on the placenta.  I got the mini rhogam injection then and I think I am going to get the regular one later.

smhamby06
by on Feb. 14, 2009 at 7:55 AM

I am a clinical lab scientist and this is an area I know about.  All RH neg moms will receive Rhogam at least twice (usually at 28 weeks and then again at delivery).  If for some reason a RH neg mom "threatens" to have a mc or experience anything unusual then the shot will be administered.  By you being a RH neg mom, if the baby is RH pos then future RH pos pregnancies could result in mc due to your body building up the antibodies to fight it.  The Rhogam shot "tricks" your body into thinking you have developed those antibodies but in reality you have not, therefore protecting any current and/ or future pregnancies.  Hope this helps.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)