• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you use Evening Primrose Oil?

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 7:41 PM
  • 5 Replies

What is the best way to use Evening Primrose Oil? I just got some tonight and I'm anxious to see how well it works! How does everyone use it and how many capsules do you use daily?

by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 7:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
stephiepattie
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 7:49 PM

bump

4SweetCrazies
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 9:44 PM

Answer depends on how far along you are.  I've recently posted about EPO too and didn't get much of  a response....it's a more natural technique....I think it works and so do midwives...but doctors frown upon it as meaningless...only b/c they are threatened by midwifery, IMO.

Back to your question: I've heard and have taken EPO this time and am taking in the following way:

35-36wks: 1 capsule AM and PM.

36-38wks: 2 capsules AM and PM.

38+wks: insert 1 vaginally at bedtime--it dissolves.  At this point I have discontinued taking orally and just do vaginal.

**In case you don't know--EPO is not reported to put you into labor, but helps ripen your cervix...very important work to be completed though!!

NorCalMom09
by on Feb. 14, 2009 at 3:37 AM

I too just bought EPO. After reading about it on a few different sites and posts I've been taking two 1000 mg capsules in the morning orally... and inserting one 1000 mg capsule before bed (make sure you wear a panty liner or pad because when you get up to go pee or wake up in the morning some leaks out lol) I'm 38 weeks and 4 days along... This will be my 3rd night using it.

XoXoX

~NorCalMom09

NESmith63
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2009 at 5:20 PM

I have been taking it for about a week or so now. I bought the 1000mg capsules. I take one orally in the morning and one vaginally at night.

expecting girl                                      baseball
            Makayla  due 2/23/09!!                                  Matthew Dylan 3/9/05

virgobaby1978
by on Feb. 14, 2009 at 5:31 PM

When I used it I took 2 a day until I was 38 weeks and then 4 a day plus opened 2 pills and put the oil directly on the cervix (hubby can be a big help for that one because it's not all that easy to reach for some people) Also be warned that the EPO may stain so don't get it on anything you don't want ruined.

Come join Mommy's Playground. Where you can talk about anything important to you. http://www.cafemom.com/group/ourkids4life

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)