Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Metallic taste... possible sign of labor?

Posted by on Feb. 14, 2009 at 3:45 PM
  • 10 Replies

I'm 38 weeks & 4 days along and for the past few days when I wake up in the morning I have a strong metallic taste in my mouth that wont go away. Has anybody else had it toward the end of their pregnancy? Is it a sign labor is close?

XoXoX

~NorCalMom09

by on Feb. 14, 2009 at 3:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
blakendevinsmom
by on Feb. 14, 2009 at 3:50 PM

Thats weird im 35 weeks and ive had that for the last like week and a half, although ive never heard its a sign of labor. Id like to see what the reply say!! Good luck!!

ClairDL
by on Feb. 14, 2009 at 3:52 PM
are you on any medications? many medications have that side effect. I've never heard of it being a sign of labor. Do you drink tap water... that a lot of times can leave a metallic taste that can resurface later, especially if you drink it rihgt before bed. Certain Pre-natal vitamins can cause this as well. Different brands sometimes have higher iron contents that cause this.
heartsandskulls
by on Feb. 14, 2009 at 3:56 PM

i would call your doctor. ive never had that happen before

pregnancy week by week
momofeddienseb
by on Feb. 14, 2009 at 4:10 PM

i had it around 13-14 weeks. eat pickles, they help

Blinkie Maker
How`s my pregnancy doing?
Mommy2Josh11507
by on Feb. 14, 2009 at 4:11 PM

Quoting momofeddienseb:

i had it around 13-14 weeks. eat pickles, they help

katzmeow726
by on Feb. 14, 2009 at 4:12 PM

I've had it on and off since week 12.  Try some pickles, they really helped get rid of the taste.

kate_jocelyn
by on Feb. 14, 2009 at 4:13 PM

I had a very strong metallic taste in my mouth while I was in active labor. It was nasty. I dont know if it's a sign of labor or not, but I was told that it's normal during labor.

I'm a single, 18 year old, christian, breastfeeding, baby-wearing, co-sleeping, cloth-diapering, vax-delaying, stay-at-home, non-cry-it-out mama to my little miss Anabelle Mae, and I'm so proud of it!

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

NorCalMom09
by Member on Feb. 14, 2009 at 4:36 PM

Quoting ClairDL:

are you on any medications? many medications have that side effect. I've never heard of it being a sign of labor. Do you drink tap water... that a lot of times can leave a metallic taste that can resurface later, especially if you drink it rihgt before bed. Certain Pre-natal vitamins can cause this as well. Different brands sometimes have higher iron contents that cause this.

I'm pretty sure it's not my prenatal vitamins. I've been taking the same ones throughout my entire pregnancy. And I take Iron because I'm borderline anemic... but also have been taking that for about 5 months now and never had a problem before. And I filter any tap water I drink.

XoXoX

~NorCalMom09

maymommy0509
by on Feb. 14, 2009 at 4:43 PM

I had it right around the time I found out I was pregnant. I heard it can be a sign of pregnancy, but I've never heard of it being a sign of labor.

pregnancy
ErikaM27
by on Feb. 14, 2009 at 5:18 PM

The cause of the taste is thought to be hormonal, particularly the increased estrogen associated with pregnancy. You can try mints and/or brushing your tongue when you brush your teeth.

I never heard it's a sign of labor and I don't think it is either..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN