Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

How soon after a c-section can I take a bath?

Posted by on Feb. 14, 2009 at 8:08 PM
  • 15 Replies

I heard 4 weeks.... I'm about 2 1/2 weeks post partum and wanna take one... Let me know c-section mama's!

baby

by on Feb. 14, 2009 at 8:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
starbaby_12
by on Feb. 14, 2009 at 8:09 PM

i took a bath about a week after being home i just didnt sit in the water that long just enough to relax about 20-30 mins and i was fine!

aphrodite7400
by Silver Member on Feb. 14, 2009 at 8:10 PM

my DR said 6W, but every DR is different

DeZsMaMa
by on Feb. 14, 2009 at 8:13 PM

i took a bath right away when i got home from the hospital.. i didn't sit in the tub nor did i let the water running through my body.. i stood and scrub with my SO nearby.

trinasig
by on Feb. 14, 2009 at 8:47 PM

I didn't take one until my staples came out. That was about 8 days after my c-section. But I agree as long as you don't sit in the tub for hours.. you should be fine:) I love taking long baths and I couldn't wait to finally take one after my c-sections. Thank goodness there were showers! lol

NestBaby Pregnancy Ticker
luvmybaby430
by on Feb. 14, 2009 at 10:30 PM

wow, this just made me even more affraid of a csection, so you cant take a shower, or is that just a bath you cant take, what else can you not do if you have a cesetion and how long does it take to heal, yikes, i really dont want one

AmberDR
by on Feb. 14, 2009 at 10:31 PM

Quoting aphrodite7400:

my DR said 6W, but every DR is different

sylviapike26
by on Feb. 14, 2009 at 10:35 PM

I was told I could take one right away, in fact it helps clean out your vagina and can help decrease postpartum bleeding.  You just need to make sure you have help to get out of the tub.  I don't think I actually took one til about a week after, and I had my hubby help me get out.  GL. You might want to call your dr and ask what they suggest before you do it though.

pregnancy week by week
babies
luvmybaby430
by on Feb. 14, 2009 at 10:36 PM

I am curious, why cant you take a shower. or is this just talking about a bath?

Quoting sylviapike26:

I was told I could take one right away, in fact it helps clean out your vagina and can help decrease postpartum bleeding.  You just need to make sure you have help to get out of the tub.  I don't think I actually took one til about a week after, and I had my hubby help me get out.  GL. You might want to call your dr and ask what they suggest before you do it though.

sylviapike26
by on Feb. 14, 2009 at 10:39 PM

No you can shower.  The main reason they don't want you to take a bath is because it can be difficult to get out of the tub and you can slip and fall and cause your incision to come open.  I took a shower the morning after my c-section at the hospital, you just very lightly go over your incision area with a loofa and do not scrub.  Showers are A-OK.  Just got to be careful with baths because you can injure yourself getting in and out of the tub, but if you have someone to help you than it is fine.

Quoting luvmybaby430:

I am curious, why cant you take a shower. or is this just talking about a bath?

Quoting sylviapike26:

pregnancy week by week
babies
sylviapike26
by on Feb. 14, 2009 at 10:44 PM

Everyone heals at a different rate.  Some will heal fast and some it will take longer.  I could get up and move around about a week after without much pain.  You can't lift anything but the baby, including older children, and until you are at the very least 8 weeks PP, you can't lift more than 20 lbs.  But your child can still come sit on your lap and stuff, you just shouldn't be lifting or carrying them.  You can have sex as soon as you feel comfortable, although they suggest waiting 6 weeks.  Stuff like that is where you have the restrictions.  You shouldn't do anything in which you could pull at your incision area and cause it to reopen or cause you to have internal bleeding.  You shouldn't do a lot of bending and that sort of stuff for a while.

Quoting luvmybaby430:

wow, this just made me even more affraid of a csection, so you cant take a shower, or is that just a bath you cant take, what else can you not do if you have a cesetion and how long does it take to heal, yikes, i really dont want one

pregnancy week by week
babies
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)