Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

New diet....need suggestions...

Posted by on Feb. 15, 2009 at 7:47 PM
  • 11 Replies

So my OB wants me to be eating more protein cause I have not had much of an appetite and have only gained 18 lbs (8 of which I lost in the beginning and gained back).  The baby is developing fine and is actually big as far as he guesses, I know they aren't always accurate.  Anyway, he said since I don't have an appetite, that I could drink protein milkshakes for snacks between what meals I do eat.  Do any of you ladies have any recipes for me?  I was gonna get some stuff when I was at the store earlier, but didn't know what all to get.  The protein I would add to it, can I get that at a health food store?  Any suggestions would be great, thanks ladies!  Oh also I am lactose intolerant, so I will be using lactose free milk and ice cream for it.  No dairy for me!

pregnancy week by week
babies
by on Feb. 15, 2009 at 7:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sylviapike26
by on Feb. 15, 2009 at 8:00 PM

BUMP

pregnancy week by week
babies
doopey
by on Feb. 15, 2009 at 8:05 PM

Sorry, I don't have any input. I also have NO appetite. I've only gained 6 lbs in 22w5d 

Rlambert6002
by on Feb. 15, 2009 at 8:06 PM

Maybe try the Carnation's Instant Breakfast powdered drink mix in soy or rice milk (or lactaid...whatever you drink as a supplement to milk). It's high in protein plus has lots of other vitamins and minerals.

Lilypie Kids birthday TickerLilypie Kids birthday Ticker

TickerShack.com Ticker

Daisypath Next Aniversary Ticker

sylviapike26
by on Feb. 15, 2009 at 8:08 PM

Yeah my OB said I could drink this or Ensure, but I don't know if Ensure contains lactose or not??  Anyway, I love dairy products, they just don't love me....LOL  I usually can handle them, but during pregnancy they really irritate my stomach.  Thanks for the suggestion!

Quoting Rlambert6002:

Maybe try the Carnation's Instant Breakfast powdered drink mix in soy or rice milk (or lactaid...whatever you drink as a supplement to milk). It's high in protein plus has lots of other vitamins and minerals.

pregnancy week by week
babies
Wiifeytype1025
by on Feb. 15, 2009 at 8:16 PM

Hmm I've never made a lactose free smoothie/shake, but I must tell you that the most amazing thing I've ever tasted in my life is a smoothie that I've been making forever and you could absolutely add protein to it and it would probably still be super yummy. Hope you can alter it to be lactose free!

1 banana, 2-3 ice cubes, 1 cup vanilla yogurt, 1 teaspoon - 1 Tablespoon (depending on ur taste) french vanilla instant cappuccino mix, splash of milk ( to get to consistency) mmmmm now I want that! lol

Good luck hope that helps some!

I'm a 24 year old, *single* mom, to a 14 month old princess, and a prince on the way. I'm 36 or 39 weeks pregnant, I've had previa, abruption, gall bladder surgery, kidney stones, preterm labor and have been passing out, but this little boy is worth it all. I've been through postpartum depression, domestic violence, my parents divorce, losing my job & becoming poor, losing my car, and my license, and becoming a single mom... all in the last year and I'm still glad to be here!!

I *LOVE* my kids more than anything else on this planet!

sylviapike26
by on Feb. 15, 2009 at 9:48 PM

Thanks I will try that....sounds yummy.

Quoting Wiifeytype1025:

Hmm I've never made a lactose free smoothie/shake, but I must tell you that the most amazing thing I've ever tasted in my life is a smoothie that I've been making forever and you could absolutely add protein to it and it would probably still be super yummy. Hope you can alter it to be lactose free!

1 banana, 2-3 ice cubes, 1 cup vanilla yogurt, 1 teaspoon - 1 Tablespoon (depending on ur taste) french vanilla instant cappuccino mix, splash of milk ( to get to consistency) mmmmm now I want that! lol

pregnancy week by week
babies
Angi1234
by on Feb. 15, 2009 at 10:34 PM

That sounds delicious.  You could also omit the cappuccino mix and add peanut butter and the protein powder and get even more protein.  Mmmmm.... peanut butter banana smoothie.  Oops.... I just drooled!

Quoting Wiifeytype1025:

sylviapike26
by on Feb. 16, 2009 at 12:13 AM

That does sound good with the peanut butter....I love PB&Js....yum

Quoting Angi1234:

That sounds delicious.  You could also omit the cappuccino mix and add peanut butter and the protein powder and get even more protein.  Mmmmm.... peanut butter banana smoothie.  Oops.... I just drooled!

Quoting Wiifeytype1025:

pregnancy week by week
babies
linzhh
by on Feb. 16, 2009 at 12:24 AM

I was told I need to eat more protein too. I just throw a few strawberries (frozen or fresh), a half of a banana, oj, vanilla yogurt, a little less than 1/4 cup soy protein and a few pieces of ice in my blender and blend.  Sometimes I add blueberries or whatever other fruit I have laying around. I also try to eat eggs for breakfast instead of sugary stuff like cereal.

****LINDSAY****

Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker

Mother of 2 angel babies and one on the way.

sylviapike26
by on Feb. 16, 2009 at 12:25 AM

Thanks for the suggestions.

Quoting linzhh:

I was told I need to eat more protein too. I just throw a few strawberries (frozen or fresh), a half of a banana, oj, vanilla yogurt, a little less than 1/4 cup soy protein and a few pieces of ice in my blender and blend.  Sometimes I add blueberries or whatever other fruit I have laying around. I also try to eat eggs for breakfast instead of sugary stuff like cereal.

pregnancy week by week
babies
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)