Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

dialated and efaced

Posted by on Aug. 29, 2007 at 8:28 PM
  • 10 Replies

Ok ladies I have an odd question that surely someone can help me with! I'm almost 38 weeks pregnant with #4. This last Monday i went to the hospital with pains, and discomfort, come to find out I was dialated to a 2 or 2 1/2 and was 75% efaced. My doctor had me get up and walk for an hour and nothing had changed. I've heard many say that when they dialated to a 3 the dr admitted them....so should i be prepared when i go to the dr. tomorrow to be admitted just in case? I know this is my 4th pregnancy but with the last 3 i have been induced because i've always had a problem dialating... has anything like that happened to any of you! Any help is appreciated!

by on Aug. 29, 2007 at 8:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AmberLove
by on Aug. 29, 2007 at 8:49 PM
When I had my daughter I had to be 4+ to be admitted.  It sounds like you'll be done soon, Congrats and Good Luck!
Sarahem
by on Aug. 29, 2007 at 8:59 PM

Quoting AmberLove:

When I had my daughter I had to be 4+ to be admitted.  It sounds like you'll be done soon, Congrats and Good Luck!
I don't get that.  I'm going to be so angry if they make me go home after I go all the way to the hospital in pain.  I didn't have to worry about that with my daughter because my water broke first.

www.maxtheshelterdog.com

Sarahem
by on Aug. 29, 2007 at 9:00 PM
To answer the question, I would have your bags packed and in the car just in case.

www.maxtheshelterdog.com

risonski
by on Aug. 29, 2007 at 9:12 PM
We're dialted and effaced the same amount! But I've been like this for a while with nothing other than the normal pains. Nothing close to contractions yet. But I've been told that first babies take their time. If this is your fourth, I guess I'd agree with the reply that said to have your bags packed and in the car! Good Luck!

Check out my little man's website! www.totsites.com/tot/jakeweaver

CafeMom addicts unite! www.cafemom.com/group/superchatters

Mom2BeInSept
by on Aug. 30, 2007 at 11:23 PM
definitly have your bags packed and ready to go sweetheart!! at 35 wks and 4 days i went to the dr and was dilated to a 2 and 50% effaced, and my baby girl was born less than 24 hours later!! i know its different for everyone, but just be ready! my dr told me to be ready and i didnt believe and wish i had because i didnt have my bags ready or anything! so at 5 oclock in the morning having contractions 4 mins apart i was trying to pack my suitcase!!
kmoor
by on Aug. 30, 2007 at 11:26 PM
i would have your bags packed, but ive been a 3 for about a weekand a half and they wont admit me untill they believe im in active labor, although my doc set an induction date for the 10th..so i would be prepared (bc every doc is different) but dont get ur hopes up!! good luck!!! =)
mamaof2bebes
by on Aug. 30, 2007 at 11:28 PM
i guess its different at different hospitals because i had to be 6 cm dialated, in which i was 7 and more than 95% effaced..thank goodness..but it mostly was because i waited it out at home..took a shower..my midwife told me to drink orange juice..i guess cause the sugar will either make ur contractions come on or go away if its a false alarm..well i ended up leaving when they were only like 3 min apart..thank god i live 10 min up the road..and with a step dad that went through every red light!! i would doo a lot of walking...the mall is your best friend at this time , just leave ur wallet at home..or your money anyways
MrsHatch
by on Aug. 31, 2007 at 12:27 AM
hi, not to be the bearer of bad news but i was dialated to a 4 and effaced 80% for 4 weeks before I had my second baby, I know how impatient you are at the end but babies come in their own due time ;)  good luck!!
Madisynsmama
by on Aug. 31, 2007 at 2:56 AM
i was at 2cm and 100%efaced for 2 weeks before my doc induced me.
riotgrrl
by on Aug. 31, 2007 at 10:21 AM
Call your provider and check before you go what their policy is. I've been at least 3 cm dialated for weeks before having any of my kids and was almost 5 cm dialated at my last dr appt before I went into labor with my son (3 days before). I've had different providers for all 3 pregnancies and none of them had a policy of admitting women to the hospital because they were dialated to any specific diameter. It wouldn't hurt to have your stuff ready at this point any way because it could be any day.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN