Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Plugged Duct

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 3:19 PM
  • 2 Replies

I'm pretty sure I've got a slight case of a plugged duct on my LT breast on the side towards my arm pit. Yesterday we were out running errands and he didn't nurse from the time he woke up 8-9am-ish until we got home after 2:30pm. I didn't realize how full I was getting until we were on our way home and as soon as we got in I made him nurse.

Then later that night my breast felt SO sore just in that one spot. I felt for a rock/pebble to indicated a plug duct but I can't really feel one, just a slight bump.  Its better this morning. I've been making him nurse a lot on that side in different positions, massaging it and doing a hot compress.

I'm not really asking for advice, just venting. I think the *only* thing I haven't nursed through is Mastitis. Seriously! I've nursed through multiple cracks, resistant thrush, abscess on my areola that took 2mos to heal, a kidney infection, shattered elbow/broken humerus that required major surgery, 3mos of intense PT due to the shattered elbow, my emergency appendectomy that almost killed me @ 6mos PP that required a week long hospital stay, a 2nd surgery on my elbow to remove metal, diagnosis with Graves Disease thinking I would have to wean b/c of recommended treatment and now the plugged duct. Lovely!

Well the plugged duct is one of the easier things I've delt with at least. Has anyone else every gotten a plugged duct a year into nursing?

See this is why I'll be a good LLL Leader and/or IBCLC :o)

~ Cindy
Mama to Reed and Jonas, wife to Rodney, Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, Midwife-to-be, working on LLL Leader Accreditation, professionally trained baker, coffee addict, lactavist, birth junkie, born and raised in the San Francisco bay area, born-again Christian and attachment parenting mama!

by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 3:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
lily0163E
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 3:24 PM

I think the only problems I had with nursing was the cracked, bloody nipples at the begining of nursing. You are a warrior and I commend you for nursing even when it sucked. A lot of women give up if their nipples hurt a little bit.

cali4niachef
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 3:29 PM

Quoting lily0163E:

I think the only problems I had with nursing was the cracked, bloody nipples at the begining of nursing. You are a warrior and I commend you for nursing even when it sucked. A lot of women give up if their nipples hurt a little bit.

I've nursed through cracks on both nipples with my 1st, not fun. I had a horrific deep crack between my areola and nipple when I had thrush, it hurt WAY worse then the thrush did.

I'm too determined not to give up, it's just too important to throw in the towel in.

Women should not feel guilty if they are unable to breastfeed, but they should feel guilty if they are unwilling to do so, and they should be intellectually honest enough to know the difference. - Elizabeth Gene

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)