Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

different degrees in the tears you get when you deliver

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 8:14 PM
  • 13 Replies

what are the different degrees in the tears you get when you deliver? i vaguely remember my doctor telling me i was at a 2. he didn't really explain much more then that.  i am just curious as too how bad i am torn up down there. it seems this tear is much worse then with my first baby.

by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 8:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
My2angels251
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 8:33 PM

i dont really know much  about all that because i never  teared  but heres a bump

northernmommy
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 8:35 PM

with my first son i was told i had a level 4 tear and was told that if i tore out my stitches that i would be (TMI) pooping out my vagina for the rest of my life. So i'm guessing that was bad. he never explained it to me though.

babies

Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker
cali4niachef
by on Mar. 9, 2009 at 1:22 AM

The most superficial tears involve the skin of the perineum and the tissue around the opening of the vagina or the outermost layer of the vagina itself, but no muscles. These tears, called first-degree lacerations, are often so small that few or no stitches are required. They usually heal quickly and cause little or no discomfort.

Second-degree lacerations go deeper, into the muscles underneath. These tears need to be stitched closed, layer by layer. They'll cause you some discomfort and usually take a few weeks to heal. The stitches dissolve on their own during the healing period.

At least 4 percent of women who deliver vaginally end up with a more serious tear in their perineum. Sometimes this happens when an episiotomy is done and the tissue then tears farther on its own. These severe tears are called third- or fourth-degree lacerations.

A third-degree laceration is a tear in the vaginal tissue, perineal skin, and perineal muscles that extends into the anal sphincter (the muscle that surrounds your anus). A fourth-degree tear goes through the anal sphincter and the tissue underneath it.

It's also possible to tear in other places. Some women tear at the top of the vagina near the urethra. (This is known as a periurethral laceration.) These tears are often quite small, and if you get one, you'll probably need only a few stitches or none at all.

Upper vaginal tears don't involve muscle, so they usually heal more quickly and are less painful than perineal tears. The main complaint: A burning feeling when you pee.

Less commonly, a woman may tear her cervix or labia (the folds of skin just outside the vagina) or tear deeply into the tissue of her vagina (known as a sulcus tear).

Preventing Perinal Tears

~ Cindy
Mama to Reed and Jonas, wife to Rodney, Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, Midwife-to-be, working on LLL Leader Accreditation, professionally trained baker, coffee addict, lactavist, birth junkie, born and raised in the San Francisco bay area, born-again Christian and attachment parenting mama!

L0ve
by on Mar. 9, 2009 at 11:35 PM

The poster above me pretty much covered it.  I just wanted to say that I had 2nd degree tears both times and it didn't really bother me.  If you keep yourself clean down there and take it easy that first week or so it shouldn't cause too much discomfort.  That was just my experience. 

in love toddler girl baby girlpregnant belly

Happily married mommy to Arielle, Leilani and Baby #3

giffer
by on Mar. 9, 2009 at 11:37 PM

dunno...all i know is that my dr cut me before i had time to tear. i never asked for more info than that.

i had to read your post 2 times before it made sense... i kept thinking it said TEARS - as in when you cry...hahahahaha

confused

http://butterflywebsite.com/clipart/Btflyyel2.gif  butterfly on head   wife to mike in love

mommy to   megann  playing soccer girland dillon   toddler boy

cali4niachef
by on Mar. 9, 2009 at 11:39 PM

its always better to tear then have an episiotomy.

Quoting giffer:

dunno...all i know is that my dr cut me before i had time to tear. i never asked for more info than that.

armyjellybean
by on Mar. 10, 2009 at 7:55 AM

i had the periurethra tear when my daughter was born and it hurt a whole lot it felt like was pissing fire  i had to go back to the doctor to get a numbing gel so could go to the bathroom without crying it pretty much took the whole 6 weeks to heal from that

Johns_Gal
by on Mar. 10, 2009 at 7:58 AM

Witch Hazel, peri bottle, sitz baths and a boppy got me through... I had apparently a first degree, but the midwife gave me three stitches because she said I was bleeding... and I was in crazy brand-new-mommy crying land so I did NOT care, lol.  After, though, it hurt like crazy, I think the stitches were a bit tight. 

I'm sorry, I remember those days.  It will pass soon though.

Alison82
by on Mar. 10, 2009 at 2:18 PM

I had an episiotomy so I'm not familiar with any of that. My cut didn't rip extra at all. 

momof2cuteboys
by on Mar. 11, 2009 at 11:05 AM

I had a 4th degree.. which is covered above in a PP repliy.  I can say the nurse gave me the best advice.  After the bath use a hair dryer on warm to dry off.  It feels great and you don't have to worry about touching it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)