Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Contractions - please help!

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2007 at 9:39 AM
  • 10 Replies
I am 36 1/2 weeks along and have been having fairly painful (more than the usual BH) contractions every 10min since about 5am this morning.  I called the dr. at 8am and they said that if they keep on or increase to come in and be checked.  How long would you go with contractions that far apart?  Has this ever happened to anyone else?

PS I should mention that I am scheduled to have a c-section...and I'm 2cm 75% effaced as of yesterday.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!
by on Aug. 31, 2007 at 9:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Keodenver
by on Aug. 31, 2007 at 9:46 AM
Just out of curiosity, what's the reason for the Csection so early, at 36 weeks? Are you having other problems? As for the contractions- 10 mins apart isn't something to rush to the hospital for, definitly keep monitoring them. Is this your first baby? How do you feel during the contractions? Is it hard to walk, focus, talk, etc? REAL contractions are going to be 100 times worse than BH ones. Obviously, if you've already had a baby you know this. Anyway, when I had my baby, I KNEW they were real ones. They were soooo different. Keep us posted...and good luck!!
LindsaySHALI
by on Aug. 31, 2007 at 9:50 AM

Sorry - should clarify: I am scheduled for a c-section at 39 weeks...it's a repeat c-section.  I had one with my first because I went into pre-term labor at 36 weeks and he was footling breech.  When I went into labor with my first, it wasn't really all that painful, but I only got up to 4cm before they performed the surgery.

I know that 10min apart isn't anything to rush into, but because I know that I am going to have a c-section,  why go through more pain than I have to! lol

JenE4
by on Aug. 31, 2007 at 9:53 AM
When you called the doctor's office, did you make it clear that you need to have a c-section? It sounds like the receptionist may have given you the standard answer for when to come in to deliver. I would think since you need to have a c-section that they need to do something about it BEFORE you go into hard labor! Don't be afraid to call back again and let them know that. Good luck!

Jen

Mom to Emma, 11, and Wyatt, 8, and baby on the way...

pregnancy due date

LindsaySHALI
by on Aug. 31, 2007 at 9:56 AM
Yep - they know!  They are about 9 min apart now, same intensity, so I think we'll probably go in once my husband gets home.  With my first baby, they got to  5 min apart and I was 4cm, but they just weren't terribly painful to me - so it's hard for me to know what's real and what's not...  Everyone says "they'll be really painful" but I didn't experience that with #1.  Thanks!!

Quoting JenE4:

When you called the doctor's office, did you make it clear that you need to have a c-section? It sounds like the receptionist may have given you the standard answer for when to come in to deliver. I would think since you need to have a c-section that they need to do something about it BEFORE you go into hard labor! Don't be afraid to call back again and let them know that. Good luck!

Jen

pregnancy due date

Keodenver
by on Aug. 31, 2007 at 10:06 AM
I wouldn't jump the gun and let my dr do the cscetion this early unless you KNOW this baby is coming NOW!!! A friend of mine had contractions regularly ranging from 10 to 20 minutes apart for a couple weeks before her baby was born. Just keep doing what you're doing and monitoring everything. I remember how uncomfortable it was at that point in pregnancy, and you are ready to have the baby OUT!! good luck!
Keodenver
by on Aug. 31, 2007 at 10:10 AM
Quoting JenE4:

Jen

pregnancy due date

It's a misconception that you NEED to have a c-section just b/c you already had one. You don't NEED to you could deliver VBAC, but chances are, it's not your doctors or hospitals policy to let you. 36 weeks is too early to deliver IF you don't have to, so don't let the dr perform this IF you don't have to!! Like I said before, contractions 10 mins apart this early don't mean you're in labor. Let them monitor you or whatever, but please, don't let them deliver you unnecessarily, b/c then you'll have a baby unnecessarily in NICU!! Again...good luck with it all!!!
Mazie0723
by Bronze Member on Aug. 31, 2007 at 10:10 AM
Just wondering why you don't  you want to try a VBAC??

Tayler ~ 2-15-00        Jaylyn~9-9-04        Cayden~12-31-05      

Ashlyn due 12-12-07

scb2007
by on Aug. 31, 2007 at 10:21 AM
why not try for a VBAC? did you even discuss that option? at 36 weeks if the baby is for sure coming- then they will probably want to give you some steroids to get his/her lungs working and then just deliver.

Summer, mommy to Preston

LindsaySHALI
by on Aug. 31, 2007 at 10:22 AM
It's a small hospital - hospital/dr. policy.

Quoting Mazie0723:

Just wondering why you don't  you want to try a VBAC??

Tayler ~ 2-15-00        Jaylyn~9-9-04        Cayden~12-31-05      

Ashlyn due 12-12-07

LindsaySHALI
by on Aug. 31, 2007 at 10:24 AM
Oh ya!  I've been having contractions (sometimes regular for a couple hours, then they quit) for the past month and a half.  These are a bit more painful, but I certainly dont' want to just do a c-section because I MAY be in labor.  My dr. wouldn't do that either. 

Quoting Keodenver:

I wouldn't jump the gun and let my dr do the cscetion this early unless you KNOW this baby is coming NOW!!! A friend of mine had contractions regularly ranging from 10 to 20 minutes apart for a couple weeks before her baby was born. Just keep doing what you're doing and monitoring everything. I remember how uncomfortable it was at that point in pregnancy, and you are ready to have the baby OUT!! good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN