Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

high risk

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2007 at 7:27 PM
  • 11 Replies
I went to the doctor today and found out that i'm a high risk pregnancy. I have high blood pressure. if anyone has been through this let me know what i can do if anything. i'm still in my 1st trimester about 3 weeks to go before the 2nd trimester.it's my first pregnancy so i'm totally flipping out. my sis-in-law had high bp & my neice was a preemie is this common? the doctor is waiting 2 weeks to put me on any medicine for it. Let me know. Thanks in advance.
by on Aug. 31, 2007 at 7:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
allisonsmommy
by on Aug. 31, 2007 at 8:03 PM
how high was your bp? I have never had bp problems...but from the first appt of this pregnancy my blood pressure has been up. Its been "borderline to high" throughout my whole pregnancy.  I have not had to be put on meds though. I have to check it a couple times a day at home. i go twice a week for non stress tests and for them to monitor me! I have had to have two additional ultrasounds..one at 32weeks and i will get another one at 36weeks.  they have already told me If i make it to 39weeks they will be inducing me by then. i am almost 35weeks preg :-) I have other problems to..along with severe breathing problems (only when I am preg) I am on restrictions...off and on bedrest!
Armywife6
by on Sep. 1, 2007 at 8:07 AM
I can't remember what it was yesturday but 1 time it was 159/109 which i know is waaaaay to high. I've done everything by the book and since i haven't needed my meds i've even stopped taking them (the dr. knows of course). did you have high bp the whole time or just now at the end of your pregnancy? Like I said i still have about 3 weeks to go before my 2nd trimester. When i'm 19 weeks my husband will be off to Iraq and I had all plans of moving back home. About a 12 hour drive. I might just be over reacting since this is my first and I never had to deal with this before but I don't want anything to happen to either my child or me. Thanks for any advise.
NEWMOMOF1
by on Sep. 1, 2007 at 8:20 AM
HEY HON! I HAD HIGH BP AND I WAS 3 WEEKS EARLY HAVING MY SON AND HE WAS WONDERFUL. HE WEIGHED 6IBS 14OZS AND 21INCHES LONG. I DID'NT DELIVER VAGINAL, I HAD A C-SECTION NOT ONLY DUE TO THE HIGH BP BUT TO OTHER THINGS ALSO. YOU WILL BE FINE. THEY TELL YOU TO REST ON YOUR LEFT SIDE. AND IT DOES GET ANNOYING BUT IT DOES GO DOWN IF YOU RELAX AND YES I WAS PUT ON MEDS ( BETTALAW ) FOR ABOUT A MONTH OR TWO AFTERWARDS TO LOWER IT AND NOW, I AM JUST FINE AND PREGNANT WITH #2. THEY DO MONITOR YOUR BP IN YOUR APPTS. YOU WILL BE FINE. I WENT THROUGH THIS AND I WAS SO NERVOUS AND SCARIED TOO. JUST LIKE YOU. IF YOU WANT TO TALK YOU CAN E-MAIL THAT WILL BE FINE.
allisonsmommy
by on Sep. 1, 2007 at 8:23 AM
I had borderline/high since my very first appt with this pregnancy!  Never had it before...not with my first pregn or anything! My OB told me that it is prob how my body is reacting to this pregnancy for some reason.  I just know I am at the end...and the baby is healthy and doing great so if something came up and she had to take her..I can breathe knowing it'll be ok!  Its very scary and nervewrecking though....Just try and relax as much as you can :-)  Its always nice when your OB keeps a close eye on you and see's it has important....thats a good thing :-)
Leneypops
by on Sep. 1, 2007 at 8:27 AM

I had high blood pressure for my first son, but I was 350lbs They didn't do much, just chalked it up to being morbidly obese. I was told to sleep on my left side. They just monitored his heart and I had extra ultrasounds throughout the pregnancy. He was 5 days early, but perfect. I lost over 150lbs after having my oldest, and had no high blood pressure with my second son.

High blood pressure has many causes, in my case it was being severely overweight, for my mom it's genetics and stress. I believe the reason they are probably waiting is to determine if your high blood pressure is habitual or intermitant before putting you on medication. Try to find some ways to de-stress for now, relax, put your feet up, and try some relaxation breathing if you're worrying or stressing a lot about things.
Kory0612
by on Sep. 1, 2007 at 9:51 AM
I had high BP before I got pregnant so with my first I had to stay on the meds the entire time. At the end.. about 34 and a half weeks it started to go higher and I had to go to the hospital and stay. She came when I was 35 weeks by C section. She was 5lbs 3oz... for whatever reason she had lung issues and was on CPAP for 3 days. Very scary just b/c I didnt' know what was going on. She is 8 months old now and very active and perfect. She is walking and doing everything she is supposed to! Now I am preggo with number 2! Just take it easy and you will be fine!
GoneHollywood
by on Sep. 1, 2007 at 1:50 PM
Just high blood pressure alone makes you high risk?? Are you serious? I am 46 years old (first time ever pregnancy!!!!!), I have a double uterus, and placenta preevia, and my doc says I'm 'not really' high risk...   he's OK'd me to exercise and carry out with my daily life as normal...  how could that be??  Anyone else out there with double uterus? (Or advanced maternal age, as they like to call it)
mydecbaby
by on Sep. 1, 2007 at 3:31 PM
i was diagonised with hypertension at 14 weeks and immediately put on meds!! which has not helped..........its still up... i do get level 2 ultrasounds every 4 weeks, because having hypertension can cause your baby too be small and some times too small......... and yes can bring on early labor.. im now 27 weeks and yes my baby measures small.......and because of all of this im asking too be considered for a c-section also due to the fact i have had 2 abdominal surgerys........ watch for headaches, spots, and visual changes!!! those are the biggest things....... i can tell when my bp is up due to those 3 symptons...... good luck, and you will get threw it!!!:)
Iztacihuatl
by on Sep. 2, 2007 at 11:25 AM
rest as much as possible(on your left side cuz it's better for circulation) , take the meds the doctor gives you, try not to stress out or get upset.

Armywife6
by on Sep. 2, 2007 at 8:37 PM
Thanks to everyone whose helped me out. I learned about relaxing on my left side which i had no idea about that. I'm trying to destrss my life as much as i can so we'll see. Thanks again.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN