Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Meet & Greet Party

Posted by on Sep. 1, 2007 at 2:55 PM
  • 9 Replies
We have decided to have a Meet & Greet Party celebrating our son's birth after he arrives, no shower before-hand.  We are inviting a TON of people, sooooo many have been praying this for us not only since we knew we had a baby on the way but for years (through all of our m/c and years of wanting a baby)  Do you think people will think I'm crazy if I put No Gifts Please?  I just don't want people to think I am inviting 200 guests because I want the gifts.  I really want people to celebrate with us. 
by on Sep. 1, 2007 at 2:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
mamakeeva
by on Sep. 1, 2007 at 8:37 PM
A lot of people ENJOY shopping for babies...so I wouldn't put "no gifts" because it sounds like you're forbidding them.  Maybe just say something like "it's not necessary to bring a gift, just come and meet the baby".

:-)
bethandbabies26
by on Sep. 1, 2007 at 8:47 PM
I think what your doing sounds like a great idea! Although I think I would have a heart attack with 200 people! But that sounds like a wonderful way to celebrate! I wouldn't put no gifts down because I think if the people you are inviting know you and your family they will understand why you want this to be a bash! I agree with the fact that people love shopping for babies, so gifts can't hurt right? It's part of the celebration, but you are the one running the show so anything you want to put on the invite is up to you. Maybe just really accentuate the fact that you want people to come and meet the new addition.

Congrats again!

allisonsmommy
by on Sep. 1, 2007 at 9:44 PM
Personally i would feel "funny" not showing up with some kind of gift..even if asked not to bring one!!
gacgbaker
by on Sep. 1, 2007 at 9:51 PM
I think the best way to do it would be "no gifts nessisary, just come to celebrate with us!".... like one of  the previous post said.  Some people enjoy doing it, and when you say no gifts, they feel ackward because they really want to bring one to you!

Need help finding your missing china pattern pieces, or perhaps grandma's favorite recipe? Come check out What are you Searching for? to find what you are looking for!!

clarencepcanine
by on Sep. 2, 2007 at 5:52 AM

Everybody LOVES to shop for babies and NOBODY needs all the gifts from 200 people, so why not pick a charity for babies and collect donations? You can put something on the invitations like "Baby has all he needs, but if you want to bring a gift, the babies helped by (insert name of charity) would appreciate it."

--SarahC

pregnant" alt="" width="28" height="30">

risonski
by on Sep. 2, 2007 at 6:02 AM

Quoting clarencepcanine:

Everybody LOVES to shop for babies and NOBODY needs all the gifts from 200 people, so why not pick a charity for babies and collect donations? You can put something on the invitations like "Baby has all he needs, but if you want to bring a gift, the babies helped by (insert name of charity) would appreciate it."

--SarahC

pregnant" alt="" width="28" height="30">

I was going to suggest that too!

Check out my little man's website! www.totsites.com/tot/jakeweaver

CafeMom addicts unite! www.cafemom.com/group/superchatters

kasek
by on Sep. 2, 2007 at 6:48 AM

Quoting gacgbaker:

I think the best way to do it would be "no gifts nessisary, just come to celebrate with us!".... like one of  the previous post said.  Some people enjoy doing it, and when you say no gifts, they feel ackward because they really want to bring one to you!

Need help finding your missing china pattern pieces, or perhaps grandma's favorite recipe? Come check out What are you Searching for? to find what you are looking for!!

I love this idea!

Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker 
SherryDenise
by on Sep. 2, 2007 at 9:21 PM
Personally, I will feel of place if I don't bring a gift because babies can not get enough of anything. I believe the baby needs all that it possibly will  need to get. So, if they bring gifts accept it; and if not just go on with the meet & greet party.
bballfrog42
by on Sep. 2, 2007 at 9:44 PM
CONGRATULATIONS!!!
I understand where you are coming from.  My aunt & uncle were in the same boat as you.  When the first adoption went though you should have seen the party the family had.  They asked us not to bring gifts but my sisters and I did any way. How could we not celebrate the first girl cousin in the family!  Enjoy all of it and my prayers are with you and your family.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN