Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

zoloft and thyroid meds

Posted by on Sep. 2, 2007 at 2:13 PM
  • 5 Replies
I just found out that Im pregnant this morning and I am taking Zoloft because I was afraid of having post-partum depression after I had my daughter (she is 8 mos.) and thyroid medicine because my thyroid is slow...Do I need to stop taking these?  Does anyone have this issue? 
by on Sep. 2, 2007 at 2:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
kidsreverything
by on Sep. 2, 2007 at 2:15 PM
there is alot of things people do befor the find out they r pregnant but the baby is usually fine. this is something you realy need to ask a dr. asap.
Jo-Anna
by on Sep. 2, 2007 at 2:18 PM
You should definitely ask a dr. right away. I know there are some anti-depressants that are okay to take pregnant, but not sure about Zoloft. Also, I don't know how long Zoloft takes to get ouf of your system but, for example, Prozac takes about 2.5 months so if someone on Prozac found out they were pregnant and stopped taking it, their baby would still have the effects for the 1st trimester. Am I making sense? lol Anyway, I would absolutely ask an OB or, preferably, a psychiatrist.
Rosiepo
by on Sep. 2, 2007 at 2:20 PM
I don't know anything about thyroid meds but I'm 8 months preg and my doc just perscribed me to zoloft.. so thats ok
BabyLoves
by on Sep. 2, 2007 at 2:24 PM
Zoloft is okay to take while pregnant and breastfeeding-I'm almost 90% sure. As for the thyroid meds i have no idea. As someone said above, people some times dont know they are pregannt for quite a few weeks and are putting all kinds of things in thier bodies. Not an excuse to do it willingly, but you will probably be fine! Dont stress!!! Find the sites for those meds and look up what the inserts say-or call your pharmacist if you cant get a hold of your doctor right away.
clearymom
by on Sep. 2, 2007 at 7:54 PM
Im not sure about zoloft.  but my doc put me on  thyroid meds because mine was under active.  I figure you should talk to your doc.  Mine put me on the meds because an underactive thyroid can cause birth defects.  But def. talk to your doc.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN