Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

hospital visits- update in blue

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 4:16 AM
  • 7 Replies

How long does your family/friends stay when they visit you after your baby is born? Or how long do you usually stay if you visit family/friends after they have a baby?

Thanks ladies i was just wondering what the norm was. My dh's family stayed for hours every day after i had dd. I was exhausted from all the company and just wondering if i was over reacting. were having # 2 in june and i was thinking about setting some rules up with the nurses this time to play the bad guy role for us. I am going to need more rest this time since i will have to come home and take care of my 2 year old and the new baby.

by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 4:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
EliseSantos
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 6:13 AM

i live in germany so my fam wont see my lil guy till hes 5 months old. but i know im going to make my friends wait a week before visiting and then meet them at the park so that i can leave when i feel like im done. that way theres no awkwardness when i have to ask them to leave my house. when i visit other ppls babies i wait till they contact me and then i only stay for ike a half hour to hour

proud Army wife and soon to be mommy to Damien Christopher!!!

pregnancy
sandys_daughter
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 6:17 AM

my mom is going to stay with us for about a week, my inlaws will be staying for a few days also. but they'll be in a condo. actually its kind of a vacation/meeting their grandchild for them since we live in destin florida. friends, will hopefully visit me in the hospital and then give me some down time before coming to the house, but who knows...

mdmom
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 7:24 AM

my mom is going to be there when I give birth.. so it depends really last time she stayed for 2 hrs after wards.. my friends usealy spend about an hr or so but I never get much company in the hospital.. 

Baby girl #4 is on her way...Due April 20th 2009!!

VerucaSallt
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 7:27 AM

By my third baby I learned a very valuable lesson - no visitors until I get home... well except for my mom.

Not only did I have a csection, I was so overwhelmed after Michael (my second) was born by all the people.  He nearly died, and I know everyone was there for support, but I was such a mess i couldn't handle it.  i remember at one point I just hid in the NICU and let my husband deal with everyone until we were transferred again to another hospital.

When Jacob was born everyone had a big party for me when I got home from the hospital.  Having no visitors I was actually really excited and happy about it.

I am a "I don't summarize my parenting style in a paragraph because it's none of your business" mom of 3.

ATM513
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 9:38 AM

I've only gotten to do one hospital visit and an inquiry for another. The inquiry was for my own friend who sent me a text about her c-section snd what not, and I asked if she wanted me to come. She didn't and that was okay with me so I waited till she called me, and then I went to see her at home after she was settled. The actual visit was for a friend of my hubs, and when we were told it was okay to come. When we got there family was there too and the mom seemed totally energized. We stayed for a bit but made sure to leave before her family did. If she had seemed tired or something I think we would've left much sooner. Hope that helps!

riotgrrl
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 9:39 AM

It depends on the mom in question, and how she's feeling etc. If mom is wide awake and feeling good and obviously in the mood for some company, I stay a while. If she seems tired or frazzled, I make it a short visit.

Nemhs
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 10:34 AM

My mom and husband were there for the birth. he stayed all night my mom staying till 2 hours after because we thought she had to go. But when a nurse came to check on me she asked where did my mom go i said back to the hotel because we thought she wasn't allowed to stay very long. The nurse and doc both said she could have stayed overnight as well. No extra charge. So the next night both her and my husband did. His parents like an hour away and came down after the baby was born and stayed for like an hour. Don't know i was pretty out of it.

With this baby we live in the same town as my mom. And she's going to be there for the birth but will be coming home to watch my son.

pregnancy week by week
baby
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)