Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Real contractions, what do they feel like?

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 1:38 PM
  • 8 Replies

I've been having constant Braxton Hicks contractions for the past few weeks.  I was monitored last week due to an inflammed infection (Dr's thought it was my appendix) and I was having Braxton Hicks contractions every 4-6 minutes for two days straight.  The doc didn't think anything of it.  So in other words, I know for a fact what Braxton Hicks contractions feel like seeing as I get them all the time.

My doc told me yesterday that I am dilated 2cm.  I'm 39 weeks today and I had a "real" contraction today, I think.  Just so I know what they feel like exactly, I'm asking you all, what does a real contraction feel like?

What I felt was the normal tightening, but along with that came a cramp or a pulling sensation in my pelvic region.  It lasted for about a minute maybe less.  I had to stop what I was doing and take a breath because it was so new to me.  It didn't hurt that bad, but it was very very noticeable.  My doc said that I would start feeling real contractions last week, but today was my first if that was what it was.  My doctor told me yesterday that compared to last week, I had progressed very quickly.  I wasn't dilated at all, but my cervix was very thinned out.  This week I'm 2 cm and even more thinned out and the baby has officially dropped.  She doesn't anticipate me going late, but doctors are wrong all the time. 

I'm afraid I'm not going to know what a real contraction feels like unless it's very painful.  So I'm hoping there are some good descriptions.  lol

by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 1:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
pregomama2b
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 2:33 PM
Trust me you will Know! They are very strong menstrual cramps. For me they started out like I was going to start my period, but I would cramp every five minutes as opposed to constantly like a period. After they get really painful it feels like a bad muscle cramp. Like a Charlie horse in your belly.
kredhead
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 2:50 PM

I couldn't agree more with this post!  The only thing I'll add to it was with both of mine, I found that if I was unsure if it was real or not, I'd walk around during one and chug some water (dr said BH can be brought on by dehydration) .  If it was BH it would go away while I was walking around and if it was a real one it would still keep the same intensity it did while I was stationary.  Good luck and I hope they are real and you will soon get to meet your little one!

Quoting pregomama2b:

Trust me you will Know! They are very strong menstrual cramps. For me they started out like I was going to start my period, but I would cramp every five minutes as opposed to constantly like a period. After they get really painful it feels like a bad muscle cramp. Like a Charlie horse in your belly.

AutymsMommy
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2009 at 2:53 PM

I had back labor with my daughter. It was a very sharp and throbbing pain in my lower back that would come and go in regularity. Every 5 minutes, then every three. I did not cramp in my stomach at all - which is why I did not know I was in labor. I am not supposed to go into labor and it was around a month early Lol. By the time I got to the hospital I was 6 cm dialated and they had to do an emergency c-section.

When in doubt, go to the hospital or your doctor's office - better safe than sorry!!!

I am a Private School sending, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Homework Helping, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Academic pushing Mum. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it raising my child - I will do that, Thank You. I believe that a woman's place is in the home taking care of her house, children and husband. I am a proud, traditional Roman Catholic, as is my husband... Yes we are teaching our daughter that The Church is the only Church. I am very conservative and a proud Republican.              Aimee

jamrodkey
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 2:54 PM

You'll know when the real ones begin.  For me, the pain for each contraction would come on gradually and intensify.  As the contractions get closer together, the more painful they are.  There's no mistaking it when you do go into labor.  Good luck honey!

bethandbabies26
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 2:57 PM

Honostly I can't tell the difference between the two...with each pregnancy, I've had a night where I thought I was definately in labor, and ended up staying awake all night for nothing! I'm 36 weeks, and this actually just happened for the first time in this pregnancy last week. Luckily, my next door neighbor is a maternity nurse who helped deliver my son so she came over to check on me every couple hours...so for me, there isn't a big difference until my water breaks! Good luck!

riotgrrl
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 3:00 PM

I found that early labor contractions and BH do feel a lot alike. It becomes obvious after a few hours when they are getting stronger and closer together. I found myself watching the clock a lot on the days when I was having a lot of BH at the end of my pregnancies to see if they were getting regular. Once I was in real labor, I did always know after a certain point, but the very early contractions are very similar to BH contractions for me.

duduface
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 4:04 PM

For me, it feels like bowl movement. Yuuuck, but it is true.

Please feel free to check out my iPhone applications I wrote for my babies: GotBaby and Milestone.

shanequa678
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 5:14 PM

i felt as though i had to really really have a bm so thats how i figured it out 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)