• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Spinal Tap On Preemie??

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 3:14 PM
  • 4 Replies

Hello Mommy's

I was wondering if any of your preemies had to have a spinal  Tap done to check for  meningitis The doctor called me this morning and needed Consent to do one on my little girl who was a 30 weeker and Tomorrow will be 32 weeks if she was still in my tummy. She has been really lethargic and sleepy not herself at all she has been such a spunky little feisty girl that smiles so much when me and her daddy visit and talk to her. The nurses and Doctors noticed her change in behavior and have been running many test. She also Has a swollen arm where her IV was. I'm such a sensitive mom I guess because to see her tiny arm all swollen makes me teary eyes and when the nurse pulled one of those sticky electrodes off her she squiled and Tears came out my eyes. The whole C-section and NICU thing has been breaking me down day by day no matter how strong I try to be. I know she will get better its just hard to see her like that.

Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 3:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
gobimom
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 3:22 PM

I personally haven't experienced this but I am a nurse and used to work OB and now I work peds.  I know how hard it can be for a mom to see her baby sick....try and be strong and know that the nurses and doctors are there to help her get better.  If I can help let me know.

Hugs and blessings. 

CAUSEIMJLYNN
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 3:23 PM

i cant help much with the spinal tap my daughter did that have to have that. she was however on the ventilator and had a chest tub in place, and a feeding tube.

my daughter was born at 33 weeks and spent 25 days in the nicu. she was 3 pounds 12 ounces at birth and when we left the nicu she was 6 pounds .9 ounces. and at birth she was 17 3/4 inches long. at her 4 month appointment back in march on the 25th she was 11 pounds, 8 1/2 ounces and 22 3/4 inches. she is growing very nicely.

i just wanted you to know if you ever need soeone to talk to i am always on here and my email is causeimjlynn@yahoo.com . id love to help when needed, i know the whole nicu expieces is very hard to go through. i was not able to see my daughter right away due to my condtion and the medicine they had me on.

but stay strong and keep your friends and family close and they will help you through all of this.

jessi_peeps0307
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 4:00 PM

Well my dd wasn't a preemie when she was needing one.  She was 8 months old though and had a seizure on me.  After consulting with the nurses and the staff about getting one and the process and what the baby goes through, I opted out on it.  thank god I did though!  There was just no way I could put my baby through that.  And she was completely fine.  I'm sorry momma, this is a VERY hard decision, it took me 2 hrs in the hospital to decide what to do.  It's not n e fun at all!

GardenMama924
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 5:57 PM

my son was not a premie but he was 2 weeks old and he had to have one. they couldnt get it the first time around so they went ahead and started him on the antibiotics. they finally got one and he was + for meningitis! he stayed int he hospital for 2 weeks to finish off the meds. today he is a happy healthy little boy. during the whole experience he had 3 spinal taps and 11 IVs (his little veins were too small and kept rupturing) even though the nurses did an excellent job with the IVs. he was just so small. ( he was a 7 lb baby so that is not what i mean by small) but he was just a tiny 2 wk old baby. good luck and know that what ever decision you make will e the right one for you and your baby!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)