Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Being induced- opinions?

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 5:03 PM
  • 7 Replies

Hey I need some help coming to a final decision on this. My SO works an hour and 15 minutes away 13 hrs a day, and so I am alone. We have no friends or family within an hour of us, and the only people even that close are my parents, who were going to come get me if I was in labor while SO is at work but my mom just shattered her ankle and had surgery and can't do anything. My dad works another 40 min the opposite way. I'm 100% alone most of the time. My hospital is 1 hr 15 minutes away as well. My doctor suggested I pick a date after I hit 39 weeks to be induced so that if I go into labor when SO isn't home I don't panic and have to wait hours to get to the hospital. I know it can take a while to progress, but sometimes it doesn't. I'm so scared I'll go into labor alone and not make it. I also have read up on being induced and know it can cause more pain, stronger contractions and carries a higher risk for c-section. I just want opinions, what would you do?

by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 5:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Zulemaann
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 5:28 PM

i was in a similar situation. i have 3 other kids and was scared i was gonna go into labor and have to drive us all to the hospital and no one would be there to watch my kids while i had my 4th one lol.. my DH also works an hour and a half away. so yeah at 39 weeks i picked a date and i am so glad i did... my induction experience was kinda nice, lol... i was in the hospital from wednesday till saturday but i had him on thursday, 26  hours after they started the induction. it takes some time but its kinda nice knowing its going to happen, so you can prepare yourself... rather than it just happening out of nowhere like it did with my second... hope all goes well.

GardenMama924
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 5:40 PM

Quoting JLHennessey:

Hey I need some help coming to a final decision on this. My SO works an hour and 15 minutes away 13 hrs a day, and so I am alone. We have no friends or family within an hour of us, and the only people even that close are my parents, who were going to come get me if I was in labor while SO is at work but my mom just shattered her ankle and had surgery and can't do anything. My dad works another 40 min the opposite way. I'm 100% alone most of the time. My hospital is 1 hr 15 minutes away as well. My doctor suggested I pick a date after I hit 39 weeks to be induced so that if I go into labor when SO isn't home I don't panic and have to wait hours to get to the hospital. I know it can take a while to progress, but sometimes it doesn't. I'm so scared I'll go into labor alone and not make it. I also have read up on being induced and know it can cause more pain, stronger contractions and carries a higher risk for c-section. I just want opinions, what would you do?

i have been induced twice and will be with this one too. i have NEVER had those problems and everyone i know who has been induced has not either. good luck on your decision! 

MamaK313
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 5:41 PM

Well I only have one experience to pull from, but I'll help you what I can. I was induced because of my blood pressure and I was showing no signs of going into labor anytime soon. The contractions hurt, but obviously I don't have anything to compare it to. I will tell you this, I was induced with Pitocin and still managed to deliver my son with no meds. Do what you think is best and you'll be fine. Best of luck! :-)

in lovebaby boyteacherbreastfeeding

LuckyClown
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 5:43 PM

I have been induced twice. really induction is nto the real question. It  is how much intervention you want. If you want the epidural then go fo it. The induction drug pitocin does give you longer and stronger contractions, but if you have the epi you'll barely notice more than a little pressure.

If you want to do a drug free natural birth or do not want an epidural then I would say no to the induction.

My inductions were both very nice. There was no stress, I just showed up, got into my room and had a baby. My labors were 6 hours and 3 hours respectively and 15-30 minutes of actual pushing to get baby out.

I have read that it does make a c-section more likely, due to the strength of the contractions, and possible fetal distress, but at my hospital the baby and I were monitered extremely well and had they noticed any kind of distress they could turn down the pitocin and ease the contractions.

My hospital also broke my water after a certain dilation and I am pretty sure that reduces the risk of c-section as well.

I compare both of my deliveries to brief hotel stays, only I get a baby when I leave. I am having my third in July and she also will be induced with an epidural.

Good luck momma, no matter what you choose!

bjbaby1
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 5:44 PM

I'd say it seems like being induced would be your best bet if you dont want to go into labor while you are all alone. I was induced and had no problems. My delivery went smoothly. I had a vaginal birth with no concern for c-section. Good Luck to you!

-----

Larsbug
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 5:51 PM

I had the same thing, I didn't want to go into labor alone either so I chose tp be induced and unfortunately for me it ended in a c-section with pure back labor for 19 hours before the c. It also happened to my best friend, same situation, wish I could tell you something different but honestly a c-section isn't totally horrible.

divamommao
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 6:04 PM

I hav ebeen induced 3 times and loved it. all but the contractions was harder but if you have a high tolerance for pain its not that bad. I was dilated to 10 before i got the epi. Did not know that i was @ 10 or the doc wouldnt of let me get it.  And I will be induced with this one also. And I am hoping to be able to pick the day this time too. Because my Dh's auntie will only be  able to come for a certain period of time and she would be the one keep our other 3 children.

*~*~*Nicole*~*~*

I am a proud momma of 3 Jazlyn (5), Jacquez (3), Jo'Nika (1), Baby # 4 due 9-2-09. I am a SAHM and wifey who can not be sumed up in alittle paragraph!!

Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Lilypie 4th Birthday Ticker

Lilypie Next Birthday Ticker

Gender Prediction
Get your own gender prediction!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)