Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you.. (BreastFeeding question)

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 7:36 PM
  • 12 Replies

How do you deal w/ the one breast leaking while your feeding the baby w/ the other? My one breast seems to do it now every time I even think about feeding it leaks.  I know its good to switch which side you start w/ and right now I really need to do that since she's only feeding from one at a time. Any suggestions?

by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 7:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
norahsmommy
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 7:38 PM

I just used really absorbant disposable breast pads, sometimes I would put my finger over the other nipple and apply pressure and that would stop it. 

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is also a government big enough to take from you all that you have." - Gerald Ford

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety  deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.  We didn't pass it on to our children in the bloodstream.  It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free."  - Ronald Reagan

LeanneC
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 7:39 PM

Put pressure on the one that is leaking and it will stop.

And are you asking a way to tell which she nursed from last?  You can switch a ring back and forth, or a safty pin on your bra... I just feel my boobs to see which is fuller!  lol.

jridgill
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 7:40 PM

I've never had that problem. I wish I had enough milk to have that problem. lol

You could pump that side while your little one feeds off the other. 

LaughterHugs
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 7:40 PM

i keep NB cotton prefolds folded in quarters in each side of my bra. and i change them 3x or so daily, when they get too saturated with milk. it's a blessing to produce extra, even if it's annoying to deal with on a day to day basis

(btw my DD is a year, and i still have to do this, b/c the disposible and non-disposible nursing pads don't hold me for more then 15 minutes...)

Brookes_Mommy
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 7:42 PM

definitely use nursing pads...

We're expecting #2!!!!

Jinxiewolf
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 7:51 PM

Or if you're super coordinated and have 8 hands, you can pump one while the baby nurses. I still haven't worked out how that's possible, but that's what I was told to do. ;)

jridgill
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 8:04 PM

lol, I use the boppy to hold the baby. get him positioned. turn the pump on, then put it to my breast. Its a little work but I get more milk when I do that.

Quoting Jinxiewolf:

Or if you're super coordinated and have 8 hands, you can pump one while the baby nurses. I still haven't worked out how that's possible, but that's what I was told to do. ;)

KellyinFL
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 9:40 PM

I used cloth diapers as burp clothes and I usually had one handy while bf to absorb the milk from the other side if it leaked. The leaking did get better with time though. After a while it didn't happen that often.

As far as switching sides, it's better for the baby to finish one side before switching so that he/she gets the fatty hindmilk. If you switch too soon, baby won't get it and will only get foremilk which isn't as rich and doesn't have as many calories in it. I'm sure each mom has her own way but I really only alternated sides with each feeding. One feeding I used the right side, next feeding I did left, etc.

babies
RasinBread08
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 10:42 PM

tehe... i am happy to know i'm not the only one this happens to. usually i push my nipple in or i will hold the blanket up against it. that way if it doesnt stop *usually it does* than it's not all over me. another think i do is try and keep my other boobie warm cause i dont know about you but as soon as i am cold my nipple pokes out and causes more leaking. so warm pressure is what works for me.

while we are talking about breastfeeding. does anyone ever swell so much esp around the nipple that you have bumps all over the place. that hurt and when you rub them you squirt? are the bumps normal?

RasinBread08
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 10:44 PM

i either lay the baby on the pillow and kinda lean forward a bit so that my boob is like above him *if that makes since* or have the man pump the other boob. lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)