Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I dont know what to do

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 11:12 PM
  • 2 Replies

About my 14 month old i was reading sombody post yesturday and got me thinking how will it effect her. My two older kids are 7 and 5 so they know there a baby comming and they know what a baby is but dose my 14 months knows? i tell her there a baby in my belly and she kiss it and hit it when she up set with me but how would i tell her and make her understand i dont want to have the baby and she get mad at me because im with the baby i just want her to get ready and understand what will happen.

by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 11:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
elizabg
by Member on Apr. 8, 2009 at 11:49 PM

She may have issues at first.  It may last a week or two but that should be it.  After a while she won't remember before baby.

Pandana
by on Apr. 9, 2009 at 2:33 PM

She probably won't "get" it the way your other kids will. She knows what a baby is, and you tell her the baby is in your belly, but kids at that age are very visual and such a concept is not going to sink in the way it would if she was older. Some kids at that age even become familiar enough with the idea to TELL you the baby is in there, but it's mostly because that's waht THEY'VE been told, not because they fully grasp the concept. So there's not alot that you can do to prepare her for the arrive of an actual living, breathing baby in her life. She'll adjust though. Kids always have, and they all do it a little differently. She may already be sensing that something is changing, but it won't hit her until after the baby's there. And she'll probably be a little upset at times because of her age, and the fact that she's till in that "self-centered" stage, and about to go through ANOTHER bout of separation anxiety, but she's certainly not the first kid her age to experience that. And hopefully having older siblings can help. I'd try to help prepare THEM for trying to integrate her into the big kid world a little bit so that she doesn't feel so lost once she's not the baby anymore. Get them really involved with her so maybe they can help her feel more like a big sister to the baby than a competitor (though they may be inevitable to some degree for a while.)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)