Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

i dont know what to do

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 11:13 PM
  • 6 Replies

About my 14 month old i was reading sombody post yesturday and got me thinking how will it effect her. My two older kids are 7 and 5 so they know there a baby comming and they know what a baby is but dose my 14 months knows? i tell her there a baby in my belly and she kiss it and hit it when she up set with me but how would i tell her and make her understand i dont want to have the baby and she get mad at me because im with the baby i just want her to get ready and understand what will happen.

by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 11:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
ariannasmama807
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 11:15 PM

bump!

my dd is 19months & i tell her baby & she plays with her babydolls but she is very attached to me so i dont know how it wil work out. sorry not much help lol. but good luck =]

aprilhaines22
by on Apr. 9, 2009 at 8:07 AM

she may be to young to understand yet. But instead of saying a New Baby say your baby that has helped my son and he is 2.

mamamia459
by on Apr. 9, 2009 at 10:22 AM

She is probably not really old enough to understand that there is an actuall "baby" inside your belly right now. But you have to keep in mind also that its not healthy to allow her to hit your belly when she is mad, really she shouldnt be hitting you at all!!!

I have a 10 yo, 7 yo, and 6 yo and I am pregnant with my 4th. due in 4 weeks, and I spend a lot of time with my God Daughter who is 2 and is trying to understand herself that I have a baby in my belly..... however, she is not allowed to hit me or jump on me...ect.... we just keep telling her that there is a baby in ther eand that is a no-no... we dont hit....baby or not!!!

My suggestion to you would be that if she is having problems understanding the reality of your pregnancy, than to focus on the no hitting rule all together... make her understand that its not acceptable to hit anyone and that if she does that, she will be punished. Just keep telling her that there is a little baby in there and we dont want to hurt him/her. But deff. dont let her hit you at ANY point.... you let her slap you around now than you will regret it later!!!! Just because she dont understand there is a baby in there, because she cant "see" it, does NOT mean she dont understand what NO means and that there are consiquinces to her actions!!!

Best wishes!!!  

athenagmb
by on Apr. 9, 2009 at 10:28 AM

My kids are almost 4 and my son turned 2 today and I am due in 2 weeks, we have gotten both of them new baby dolls and we have talked to them about the new baby, Jared my son is still a little young but he will understand more. My daughter was 21 months when Jared was born and never had any problems. She was always trying to help and still does. I read in a book somewhere that when the baby comes and you have your older child crying and your baby go to the older one first then go to your baby. The baby won't remember but the older one will. You don't want the older one to feel like the baby took his or her place. Good luck

Gabrielle- Wife to Andrew- Mother to Bailey 3 Jared 1 and Elissa Due April 26th I am a proud Army wifepregnant belly

riotgrrl
by on Apr. 9, 2009 at 10:34 AM

My DD was 15 months old when my youngest was born. From when I really started showing, we talked about having a baby brother in my belly and that soon he would come out of my belly and live with us. We did a lot of practicing with baby dolls on how to take care of babies, and how to touch babies gently, and where not to touch babies (eyes, mouth, etc). We also talked a lot about how when the baby first came, mostly he would just sleep, and eat, and poop and not do much else. I didn't want her to get this idea that he would pop out as a little playmate all ready to go. I don't really know how much of it she "got" but she definitely got it somewhat and I will never forget the huge eyes and huge smile on her face when she finally met her baby brother. Right from the get-go she always called him "my baby brother" like he was her pet or something LOL. She didn't seem to get jealous that she wasn't being held when other would hold him, she was very protective of him though. She would follow me around with her baby dolls and do everything to them that I did to my little guy. I think even with kids this young, they do understand a lot and you can do a lot to help them get used to the idea of a new baby and what it will be like and help them feel positive about it.

myheart3
by on Apr. 19, 2009 at 2:40 PM

Kids look at things alot different then we do. Just show her that you will love her the same no matter what and just becuase you are having a new baby you still love her as much as you ever did but life is going to change a little. She will understand in her way.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)