Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Heating pad to induce labor?

Posted by on Apr. 26, 2009 at 5:39 PM
  • 8 Replies

Have any of y'all heard of anyone successfully started labor by having a heating pad on your breasts? I've had it on low-medium heat for the last 45 minutes and I've had several contractions. Hope this is OK (haven't found that it's harmful at almost 40 weeks) and I hope they don't stop!!!!

by on Apr. 26, 2009 at 5:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
doulajac
by on Apr. 27, 2009 at 10:42 AM
It is not dangerous as long as you keep the heating pad off of your belly. That extra heat could affect baby. Check out this link for more natural ways to induce labor. http://betterbirthamerica.com/Induction.html Good Luck!
demonkitty
by on Apr. 27, 2009 at 10:45 AM

hmmm thats kinda interesting. i might have to try that..lol. im 39 weeks and im miserable. she is pinching nerves that are affecting my upper middle back and sending pains down my legs.

angel07bear
by on Apr. 27, 2009 at 10:47 AM

I have heard that if its true labor heat will help the contractions not stop them.   When I went into labor with my first I took a hot shower to see if they were going to stop.  OMG ! It made them feel so much worse..  

GL!

demonkitty
by on Apr. 27, 2009 at 10:50 AM

yeh thats what i have been doing. the whole shower thing but mine just wont stay consistent. i find out tomorrow if i have dialated anymore. hopefully i have and can get things moving faster.

Quoting angel07bear:

I have heard that if its true labor heat will help the contractions not stop them.   When I went into labor with my first I took a hot shower to see if they were going to stop.  OMG ! It made them feel so much worse..  

GL!

pregpostmassage
by on Apr. 27, 2009 at 8:52 PM

I haven't heard of using a heating pad before, but breast and nipple stimulation can increase the oxytocin in your system (no guarantee that'll start labor, might help more during labor.) Remember, the baby starts the hormonal process for labor when s/he's fully ready for birth.

Quoting TexasKaty:

Have any of y'all heard of anyone successfully started labor by having a heating pad on your breasts? I've had it on low-medium heat for the last 45 minutes and I've had several contractions. Hope this is OK (haven't found that it's harmful at almost 40 weeks) and I hope they don't stop!!!!

As LeVar Burton used to say: "But you don't have to take my word for it."
Mama2lilGarrett
by on Apr. 27, 2009 at 8:54 PM

I never used one on my breasts but however on my lower back. I did nipple stim and took a bath and my water broke that night. Not 100% guarenteed thats what started it but ya. Good luck ma!

RasinBread08
by on Apr. 27, 2009 at 9:09 PM

i have never heard of that.. but you cant eat fresh pinapple or drink tea with raspberry leaves. lol

cali4niachef
by on Apr. 29, 2009 at 11:04 AM

It's red raspberry leaf tea(herb) it can only be purchased at health food stores. It does NOT induce labor, it's sole purpose is to tone and strengthen the uterus; it should be consumed throughout the entire pregnancy.

Pineapple can ripen the cervix if eaten in COPIUS amounts, I'm talking a whole pineapple a day.

Quoting RasinBread08:

i have never heard of that.. but you cant eat fresh pinapple or drink tea with raspberry leaves. lol

~ Cindy
Mama to Reed and Jonas, wife to Rodney, Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, Student Midwife, certifiably non-certified doula by choice, professionally trained baker, coffee addict, lactavist, birth junkie, born and raised in the San Francisco bay area, born-again Christian and attachment parenting mama!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN