Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

law and order svu about vaccination?

Posted by on May. 1, 2009 at 11:13 PM
  • 12 Replies

did anyone see the law and order episode this week.. the new one with hillary duff about the non-vaccinating mom getting charged (not convicted) for another child's murder? this episode really got me thinking and i don't know which way to go with it... did this make anyone else think? what are your thoughts?

by on May. 1, 2009 at 11:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momswalk
by on May. 1, 2009 at 11:17 PM

I didn't see it. My DVR didn't tape it for some reason.

Them having an episode like that doesn't surprise me because of all the controversy going on about it.

LOL Maybe the vaccine companies paid them to do a episode as a warning to all non vaxing parents! (I didn't see the episode, just making a joke... :) )

Personally my son had vaccinations until he was a year, then we stopped. Now that he's 3 I am actually thinking about getting him caught up slowly. I'm not sure yet either :)

JessMomof2boys
by on May. 1, 2009 at 11:22 PM

I saw it, and actually made a post about it that night in another group.  It didn't really make me think because I already had my opinions about it.  I agree with the main point the show was making that children who aren't vaccinated do put children who aren't old enough to be vaccinated at risk.  But as the show said, it's the mother's right to choose.  It was definitely a very controversial topic for the show to tackle though.

Proud Mom of three amazing kids! Zachary Charles 10/25/05, Logan Tanner 4/10/08, and Rhyleigh Anne 4/11/09

jessicahall1985
by on May. 1, 2009 at 11:27 PM

yeah i agree that the mother's choice to not vaccinate was responsible for the little girl's death but it made it a little touchy because the non-vaccinating mother was a GREAT mother while the other one didn't act like she needed a child to begin with... i do tip my hat to the producers for taking the chance to tackle such a controversial issue!

divamommao
by on May. 2, 2009 at 1:02 AM

It didnt really make me think. I get mine vaccinated. its my choice. I know some people have strong feeling about it and do not get theres vaccinated and that is their choice. and I respect that. But me personally mine get vaccinated when needed.

*~*~*Nicole*~*~*

I am a proud momma of 4 Jazlyn (5), Jacquez (3), Jo'Nika (1), Jay'Dyn Ray due 9-2-09. I am a SAHM and wifey who can not be sumed up in alittle paragraph!!

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Lilypie 4th Birthday Ticker

Lilypie Next Birthday Ticker

Mae264
by on May. 23, 2009 at 12:42 AM

Just an interesting fact that episode was partially based on the Kaylee Anthony case about the mother who killed her little girl but then of course they went in a totally different dirrection when they ended up making it about vaccination.  I personally would never choose to not vaccinate my child because I would never want to put them at risk some of these viruses out there can be picked up in another country and then transported to the united states and come in contact with our children.  there is a much higher risk for not vacinating then for vacinating.

iamcafemom83
by Bronze Member on Jun. 14, 2009 at 9:50 PM

yeah,this case was a bit about the Kaylee Anthony case. But who's to say the vac. scenario couldn't take place? It was a good episode! I like how they take the contrasting moms and put them in one sceanrio together and bam! that's how life is, though.  I choose to vaccinate because there's a much higher risk of her catching some disease that could really hurt her. If I have to put up w/ autism vs. not having her, I'll vacinate any day! Plus, u can't get into daycare or school without it!  wish i could stay home w/ her tho!

Lilypie

Lilypie

AmandaMarie821
by on Jul. 3, 2009 at 10:00 PM

They say you can spread out the vaccinations. Instead of grouping them up into one shot. I'm not sure if I trust the whole vaccines cause autism argument, but I'm not so sure pumping kids full of so many vaccines within a year is all that good for them.

TippyD
by Bronze Member on Jul. 3, 2009 at 10:47 PM

i didn't see the SVU episode, but my opinions on vaccines.... my children will have most of them(but not the HPV, or chicken pox EVER, and no hep B till they are older), however, the vaccines will be delayed and spread out.  the reason people scream the autism factor is because it is believed that if a child has dormant autism vaccines MAY trigger the autism. nothing has been proven one way or the other. I whole heartedly support vaccines becuase there is a reason why we haven't had outbreaks of ________(you fill in the blank) in YEARS.  but now, since the whole non-vax'ing wave has come, we have diseases that have been pretty mellow having outbreaks. one of them is measles. (you can go to the CDC website and find this info) there have been more deaths from diseases believed to have been controlled in recent years, then the same nummber of years before this whole non-vax'ing thing came about. there are children that are on chemo, and have illnesses that CANNOT recieve ANY vaccine for ANY reason and people that are selectively denying these vaccines are putting those children at risk for the diseases.(because we are now having higher outbreaks of these diseases) 

RustedRalncoat
by on Jul. 4, 2009 at 2:13 PM

I am a delayed and selective vaxing mommy. I didn't see the episode but no parent should be accused of the death of another child for not vaxing. If the vax worked in the first place the other child wouldn't have gotten sick to begin with and it is much more likely for the vaxed child to get the unvaxed kid sick.

Also if you read up on it, any number of vaxed children will still get the things that they were vaccinated for. Vaccinations don't always work. Plus I think there are some benefits to letting your children get the sickness they are vaccinated against. Life time immunity is one of them. Your child will never truely be safe from a disease until they have caught it and gotten over it, vaccinations only provide immunity as long as you get booster shots.

I dunno sometimes I just think there is no point and we are fighting a loosing battle. New disease keep popping up and next vaccines are made all the time. We can't keep shoving needles in to our body to protect ourselves. I think we need to start letting nature handle things.  Before vaccines were forced we didn't have a very good health care system. Our health care has progressed monumentally since then and most of the times if a child gets what we are vaccinating against the child is going to be ok.

I am neither for nor against vaccinating (I see the benefits and I see the risks). I think they need to be made safer. I don't like the thought of shooting formaldihyde in to my childs body  (or any of the chemicals in them). I would not let me child chew on monkey livers or aborted babies so why do I want something that has been cultured on one to be shot in to my child? Ok I could go on and on and on so I will stop but anyways this is what I think about when I choose what will be put in to my child. It is for every mom to decide and no one should be made to feel bad about their decisions.

pregnancy
elissaf
by on Jul. 7, 2009 at 1:06 AM

I saw it and I definitely think that it was completely wrong for that mother not to vaccinate her child and then let it go in public with other children putting them at risk.  I personally think it's foolish not to vaccinate your children!  I think in being given the right to chose not to vaccinate her child she removed the other parents right to have their children protected in the park.  She should have been convicted.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured