Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Low amniotic fluid at 35 weeks

Posted by on May. 7, 2009 at 12:26 PM
  • 10 Replies

My doctor said I had lowered amniotic fluid than expected for 35 weeks.  It's not technically low, but they're watching me very close.  I'm supposed to drink as much water as I can and then I'm having another ultrasound next week to see where my level is at.  Anyone else have anything like this?

by on May. 7, 2009 at 12:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ladyjones76
by on May. 7, 2009 at 12:41 PM

I had this with my 4th child and I was induced but!!! her size was small as well so if you go back next time and they do the ultrasound and it comes back low they sometimes induce if baby lungs are mature

pregnancy
rachmom41
by on May. 8, 2009 at 4:36 PM

Girl I work with just had this.  She was 36 weeks and had low amniotic fluid so they induced her.  She had her baby last Saturday.  It happens but everything will be okay.

ariannasmama807
by on May. 8, 2009 at 6:38 PM

my friend did, i think she was 35 or 36 weeks, she almost had no fluid so she had to have an emergency c-section but im sure everything will be fine with you & your baby.

Firsttimemom252
by on May. 9, 2009 at 11:27 AM

I started slowly losin mine with my son James at 34 weeks and they induced because of it

CafeMom Tickers
Double.L
by on May. 9, 2009 at 11:30 AM

Mine was low at 36 weeks, they monitored it and induced me at 38 because of it. They thought she was low in weight but she ended up being 7 lbs. 

He's my star....and I'm his sky....

chel1195
by on May. 9, 2009 at 2:56 PM

I have too much fluid which causes all sorts of different problems so I have no advice about that but, everyone is saying the might induce you.  I just wanted to say I had my son at 34 wks (so earlier than where you are now!) and he was fine.  A few small problmes but still went home in 3 days!  I just wanted to throw that in there- just in case you were worrying about having the baby a little early. :)

cali4niachef
by on May. 9, 2009 at 3:01 PM

Yes. What is your AFI level?

AFI's vary depending on baby's position, if baby has urinated or not that day, and you can get two different readings on the same day if done by two different u/s techs.

Orally hydrate and you will be fine.

I was induced for low AFI's, if I knew what I know now I would've declined the induction.

Low Level of Amniotic Fluid No Reason to Induce Labor

Posted on: Friday, 7 February 2003, 06:00 CST

Low Level of Amniotic Fluid No Reason to Induce Labor

source: Health Scout News

By Janice Billingsley

HealthScoutNews Reporter

A low level of amniotic fluid in the last trimester of a pregnancy, often thought to be sufficient cause to induce delivery, is not reason enough to do so.

Johns Hopkins researchers who studied the health of more than 250 babies born at 37 weeks of gestation say they found that babies whose mothers had low levels of amniotic fluid were of normal size. And the babies had no greater risk for health problems than babies whose mothers had normal levels of amniotic fluid.

"This study indicates that we don't want to intervene because of a Amniotic Fluid Index (AFI) of less than five if everything else is normal," says study author Dr. Ernest M. Graham, an assistant professor of gynecology and obstetrics at Johns Hopkins University.

Graham presented the results of his study on Feb. 7 at the annual meeting of the Society for Maternal-Fetal Medicine in San Francisco.

Amniotic fluid is a clear, slightly yellowish liquid that surrounds the fetus during pregnancy; it is contained in the amniotic sac. Normal levels of fluid indicate proper functioning of the developing fetus, while low levels can be associated with incomplete lung development and poor fetal growth. Measured by depths in centimeters, normal amounts range from five to 25 centimeters; below that is considered low.

The American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology recommends the Amniotic Fluid Index should be only ne measure of assessing fetal health. Heart monitors and sonograms are others.

However, doctors often induce delivery -- especially at 37 weeks -- based largely on a low AFI, says Dr. Siobhan Dolan, assistant medical director of the March of Dimes.

Normal gestation lasts approximately 37 to 40 weeks, according to the March of Dimes, which last week launched a $75 million campaign to address the high incidence of premature babies born before 37 weeks.

"In general, there's a tendency, at 37 weeks, to deliver the baby," Dolan says. "But this is a good study because it gives people reassurance to manage the pregnancy with careful monitoring and observation. You don't have to go immediately to the labor room."

For the study, Graham and his colleagues studied 262 women who gave birth at Johns Hopkins Hospital from 1999 to 2002, comparing the babies' health at birth. One hundred thirty-one women had had a low AFI during their third trimester, a condition called oligohydramnios. The other 131 women had normal amounts of amniotic fluid at the end of their pregnancies.

Women with low AFI levels had their labor induced sooner due to their condition, but were less likely to have Caesarean sections, Graham says. The babies born to these women were normal size, and were at no increased risk for respiratory problems, immature intestines or brain disorders, he says.

"We've always thought that AFI was correlated with blood flow in the fetus, that a low AFI meant there wasn't a good blood flow, but we found that AFI is a very poor indicator of that," Graham says. The finding should give doctors pause before using AFI test results as a reason to induce delivery, he adds.

"If a low AFI is the only thing determining an early intervention in a pregnancy, that is not a reason to do so," he says.

~ Cindy
Mama to Reed and Jonas, wife to Rodney, Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, Student Midwife, certifiably non-certified doula by choice, professionally trained baker, coffee addict, lactavist, birth junkie, born and raised in the San Francisco bay area, born-again Christian and attachment parenting mama!

litlamber
by on May. 11, 2009 at 3:15 PM

I am also 35 weeks and have low amniotic fluid.  Mine has been low since 28 weeks and it just seems to get lower and lower every week.  I have been going to dr every week since 28 weeks to have an ultrasound to check fluid levels and growth of baby.  last week when I went my fluid was down to 7.8.  Im sure we will end up inducing, but im hoping she waits til after 37 weeks.  Ive drank tons and tons of water since 28 weeks and it has done nothing for me!!!  I was also told to stay off my feet as much as possible.

pregnant
lovedobes
by on May. 20, 2009 at 5:13 PM

i had low amniotic fluid when i was about 36 weeks, i had my dd on mother's day when they found out i have no amniotic fluid at all at 38 1/2 weeks. she weighted 7 lbs and 13 ozs. they had to give her some oxygen cuz she shallowed some amniotic fluid. she was fine by the 2nd day. i had to be induced on friday the may 8th to get the labor going, i was supposed to have her on sat but she came on sunday instead. i did not take any pain med or epi at all. i had it natural and labored in the tub, it felt good, try that if they have birthing tubs or tubs in your labor room. lovedobes

JacksMomE88
by on May. 21, 2009 at 11:00 AM

with my first pregnancy i had low amniotic fluid at 30 weeks,  and had to go to a different hospital that specializes in high risk pregnancies. They were gonna induce me at 37 weeks but the booger decided to come on his own 2 days before my scheduled induction day. But he came out ok and i'm on my 2nd pregnancy right now, i'm 35 weeks and haven't had low amniotic fluid at all!

in lovebaby boyits a boy
Married 12/5/07     Born 6/7/08        Due 6/21/09
Rachel & Jamen    Jack Wayde       Patrick Christopher

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN