Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

safe to mow the lawn while pregnant?

Posted by on May. 8, 2009 at 5:12 PM
  • 9 Replies

We have a riding lawn mower and  a gas push mower.  Is it safe to use either while pregnant? I am 16 wks. Our yard is really really bumpy so I don't think the riding mower is all that safe, but what about the push mower?  My husband has been working non-stop and on weekends he is either working or so worn out I don't want to make him mow.  Plus he has alot lined up in the yard to do that I can't do like ripping out fence posts and splitting wood and cutting down trees.  The yard is really starting to look bad and it needs to be mowed by someone!

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is also a government big enough to take from you all that you have." - Gerald Ford

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety  deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.  We didn't pass it on to our children in the bloodstream.  It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free."  - Ronald Reagan

by on May. 8, 2009 at 5:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
ErinAnnaandBaby
by on May. 8, 2009 at 5:16 PM

no idea but I heard it made my friend go in to labor (she was full term). Here's a bump!

nokesmomof2
by on May. 8, 2009 at 5:21 PM

Quoting ErinAnnaandBaby:

no idea but I heard it made my friend go in to labor (she was full term). Here's a bump!

i mowed the lawn on and off until i was 8 mnths preg

have kids born in 06&08 come join my group please
http://www.cafemom.com/group/momsof06and08
mommyofmaknchz
by on May. 8, 2009 at 5:24 PM

I don't think that either would be a good idea. Pushing the weight of the mower can't be good since the muscles and ligaments are loosening and you could pull something and the riding one....well OWWW. But you could always call your doc and ask. Otherwise maybe offer a neighborhood kid 10 or 20 bucks to do it. Or if you have a neighbor that is a single guy offer to make him a homecooked meal if he mow if for you.

kredhead
by on May. 8, 2009 at 5:31 PM

I'd say the riding mower would be ok but the push mower wouldn't b/c the push mower is heavy and heavy lifting is a no no....... that being said, I push mowed my yard until 7 months and I was fine..... but I'd used the riding mower just to be safe. Oh and this is really sweat of you to do for your hubby!

Ashblee421
by on May. 8, 2009 at 6:06 PM

are you kidding?

unless the mower is REALLY heavy and hard to push, I wouldn't suggest it..but otherwise...are you kidding!

MommyIvy
by on May. 8, 2009 at 6:11 PM

I mowed with a push mower while I was preggo.

no-drama-momma
by on May. 8, 2009 at 6:18 PM

I mow the lawn all the time....hubby hates it cuz he says it looks bad for his preggo wife to be mowing and it's the man's job and all that blah blah blah LOL...but I love it!  I get sun and exercise and know my limits.  Doc says it's okay as long as I rest when I'm tired, don't get too hot, and don't have any pain or anything--she says it's good exercise and if I feel fine, then why not.

Pregnancy ticker

We finally get our little boy!
Make a pregnancy ticker
amj616
by Bronze Member on May. 9, 2009 at 10:12 AM

Id say go for it. Just make sure to not get too hot and make sure you drink enough fluids. And if you start having any pain stop. mowing the lawn

SweetMynx19
by on May. 9, 2009 at 10:14 AM

i mowed my lawn up until the day before i had my daugther at 41 weeks 2 days....

Desiree and Mischa
Parents to
Ava Chiara Lee
and
Expecting a baby boy in May!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)