Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

VBAC vs. Repeat C-Section

Posted by on May. 8, 2009 at 6:06 PM
  • 13 Replies

hey ladies,

ok so i got good news, my cyst is gone but then comes labour quesitons of course i was figuring we had time.....but found out that we are 19 weeks!! week or so ahead of time. so i have some questions for moms who have done either of these procedures.....i will also say i am not a skinny girl i am overweight adn the dr did say that a repeat c-sec could casue trouble for me btu not the baby.

repeat c-sec:

was it easier planning it? did it make that much difference? how was teh pain after the c-sec? how did the c-sec site heal after the second one, did it take longer?

did you opt for epidural? how did you handle the pain of contractions through transitional and on? how long was recovery time? did you regret doing this over a c-sec?

background info on me.....i am 29 had one child 10 years ago was really lucky she is here, she had the cord around her neck 3 times, and very little fluid around her. the c-sec was emergency after 7 hours of labour and i was maybe dialated 3 cm.....soooo far off from ring of fire and all that. i am super scared of the pain, i do not do good with pain down there. i also am bipolar and am scared that all the pain may bring on an episode as i have to be non medicated throuhg the pregnancy.....and i dont do well with stress......sometimes if its bad i shut im scared anythign and everything even all the gory details is fine......i want to know...

thanks ladies

by on May. 8, 2009 at 6:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by on May. 8, 2009 at 6:44 PM

I havent had my vbac just yet but am a vbac hopeful for this sept. BTW when I had my son I was super overweight(still am since we didnt wait long in between pregnancies) and I had one of the best heal incisions my doc had seen. You can barely see my scar.

Back to what I was going to say though. I would try avoid meds(pain and labor starters) because they tend to stall labor. A lot do. Usually you will get the epi and then labor stops so they have to start pitocin to get it started again but pitocin is like a million times stronger than natural chemicals your body makes so you may have to up the epi(although that isnt always the case you know). If you want a vbac I would look into a birthing program such as a hypno birthing/babies or lamaze. Hope that helps a little. =D

NestBaby Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

NestBaby Pregnancy Ticker

by on May. 9, 2009 at 10:07 AM

bump......anyone else???

by on May. 9, 2009 at 12:18 PM

i have only have an unplanned  C with m y second child and im not preg now. but i have heard that women find planned C a lot easier to deal with, plan for, etc, than an unplanned C.  if your first was unplanned, than this second one should be easier than your first.  my pain was minimum, all i needed was motrin.  my C scar isnt that bad. it is numb still, but i heard that is normal.  i am average size so im not sure if your experience will be different. 

if you need meds for your mental health, i think some may be OK during preg.  did you talk to your DR about that.???   i think the risks of being off meds is greater than the risk to the child....  but again, i dont know mcuh about this issue.  GL

by on May. 9, 2009 at 2:06 PM

i actually do all natural stuff for the bipolar, but still had to cut quite a bit out....i can take more of my natural stuff then i could actual meds while preg. did you have a c-sec wiht your first? im just curious was hoping to get m,ore pros and cons on both sides from people.......

by Bronze Member on May. 9, 2009 at 3:19 PM

Well I'm hoping for a VBAC for myself this July.I did consider a scheduled c-section only because I have heard the pain is easier but honestly when I had my emergency c-section I don't think it can be any easier.I didn't even take the pain medication after I had the c-section done.So for me I figured a VBAC would be perfect because I do handle pain well and I do not want an epidural.I don't want one manly because I know my body and I will be able to tell the doctors if something feels wrong.They think I'm crazy but I think they are crazy.Anyways you can look up pros and cons of both on the web.That's what I did to make my final decision.Good luck!!

by on May. 9, 2009 at 4:13 PM

I have one baby who was born vaginally.  Am pregnant again and planning another vaginal.  So, no personal experience.  However, my mom had 2 babies vaginally, then 1 via c-section followed by 4 more vaginally -- no problems!  Yet, she has already told me that she preferred her 1 c-section than any of her 6 vaginal births.  She said it was easier and the healing process was better.

by on May. 9, 2009 at 4:23 PM

I've had 2 c-sections, one emergancy, one repeat..

with the repeat, it was MUCH easier planning it (although I couldn't sleep the night before, too excited)

It wasn't nearly as scary as the first one, since I knew what to expect. The incision site healed better than my first one, actually and it healed quicker. Although the pain the first day was far worse than the pain after the first c-section, it went away a LOT sooner, I healed quickly and was back to normal activity after 1-2 weeks instead of 1-2 months. I was told each c-section recovery time is shorter, healing time is shorter, but pain is more intense for a short time. Also, since it's a mandatory 4-5 days in the hospital afterwards, with the first c-section I didn't want to go home yet, I hurt too much and it was too hard to move, with the second one, I was ready to go home on day two!

I'll be doing a repeat c-section with this baby because I have a very small pelvic opening (only about 3-3.5 inches in diameter) I'm pretty excited.

baby development pregnancy calendar

Pregnancy ticker

by on May. 9, 2009 at 4:56 PM

I just had my repeat c-section 8 weeks ago.  It was supposed to be planned, but I went into labor 4 weeks early.  My OB and I had discussed several times about a VBAC and even at 36 weeks and 2 days, we still felt it was not a safe thing to do for me because of medical issues.  That being said, depending on the reason of your first c-section and your scar (whether it is horizontal or vertical), a VBAC can be successful for many woman.  If your dr is willing to do it and feels it is safe, then go for it. 

As for my repeat c-section, this time around I healed much quicker than I did with my first, but I didn't have all the labor and pushing to recover from that I had with my frist.  Healing time really just depends on you though.  Even though I went into labor, mine this time was not considered an emergency and it was much more relaxed than my first.   I didn't have a lot of pain after this one, but again that is gonna depend on you and your threshold for pain.

by on May. 9, 2009 at 6:02 PM

I haven't have my baby yet so this is watching my mom healing from her sections. She has 7 children and I'm the oldest my youngest sister is 4 i remember really well having to help her with the last 3 babies she had. She has told me that her sections get easier every time. and for the last 3 she has had just as short time recovering as if she would have had natural births. Where she was cut at is still numb but thats from having the nerves cut (your stomach is the worst thing to have surgery on because that is where almost all of your nerves are at) personally i wouldn't do a v-back only for the simple fact that there is a chance even though it may be small i wouldn't take it of hemmerging(sp?). Good Luck w/ everything!

by on May. 9, 2009 at 6:21 PM

I've had one vaginal birth, with no problems at all. I've also had a c-sect b/c my baby was breach. I MUCH preferred the vaginal birth. I was able to get up and about sooner. I didn't have as much pain afterwards. The healing time was so much faster too (I had an episiotomy with my vag birth, so I did have some healing to do). It was just an all around better experience for me. I'm due in July with this one, and I'm hoping to have a VBAC. The doc said that it shouldn't be a problem.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)