Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Placenta is over previous C-section scar, scare of rupture and current bleeding... HELP???

Posted by on May. 24, 2009 at 8:56 AM
  • 4 Replies

Hey,

So after 2 healthy normal pregnancies (except the c-section part) i am faced with a difficult pregnancy. I had 2 C-sections (no medical reason for the first DOC was in a rush and second was by choice).

I started bleeding at almost 11 weeks, enough that i though i most deffinately had a miscarriage, but fortunately i did not. I went to the ER, got an ultrasound, and blood tests. Baby is fine... they said to go back to my reg doc, and of it worsens to come back (to be expected)

I am 15 weeks  now and have been bleeding on and off, since 11 weeks. The doctor said as per our last ultrasound that my placenta is on the front wall of the uteris over my c-section scar, and there is a posibility for it to rupture as it grows.He said deffinate C-section.

Doc wont put me on "offital bedrest" unless i make it to 24 weeks. He says that it can not be determined till then what the issues are and if it will be ok or not... etc...   well i cant get diability insurance or anything else till i get that letter, yet he gave me a doctors note to take off work for the next month so far...

He says if my body maintains the pregnancy till 24 weeks, i will be hospitalised for 3-4 days and they will run many test to determine what is the full issue and what can be done and if i should be on bedrest...

He never told me (even when i sked) what i should and should not be doing... IE lifting, walking, going out, bedrest...  etc

my questions are al follows...  

IS THIS NORMAL? for the doc to say these these things?

Has anyone been in this position b4?

Any suggestions on how to proceede?

Bed rest or take it easy...?

by on May. 24, 2009 at 8:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
stace217
by on May. 24, 2009 at 10:17 AM

I've never had this problem so I would not know what normal procedures are or what types of things Doctors instruct. But I would def. be taking it very easy and doing very minimal things.

I hope everything works out and turns out for the best! Keep us updated.

:]

IsraelMommy
by on May. 25, 2009 at 7:14 AM
BUMP!
cali4niachef
by on May. 26, 2009 at 10:48 AM

Most placentas are anterior, at front of your abdomen where you c/s scar is. It's normal.

It sounds like you could have placenta previa. Some women are diagnosed early in pregnancy with previa but the placenta often moves and they are able to have a normal vaginal birth. If the previa stays then a c/s would be necessary.

I would just make sure it's not placenta accreta where the uterus or placenta is embedded into the scar. A c/s would also be necessary in this case.

I would get a second opinion and/or get copies of your records to see if it is previa or accreta. If your placenta moves then you can have a vbac and your risk for uterine rutpure isn't any greater then in a normal vbac, which is 0.3 - 0.5%.

~ Cindy
Mama to Reed and Jonas, wife to Rodney, Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, Student Midwife, certifiably non-certified doula by choice, professionally trained baker, coffee addict, lactavist, birth junkie, born and raised in the San Francisco bay area, born-again Christian and attachment parenting mama!
EuphoricBirthServices.com

julie148
by on May. 26, 2009 at 12:05 PM

Quoting cali4niachef:

Most placentas are anterior, at front of your abdomen where you c/s scar is. It's normal.

It sounds like you could have placenta previa. Some women are diagnosed early in pregnancy with previa but the placenta often moves and they are able to have a normal vaginal birth. If the previa stays then a c/s would be necessary.

I would just make sure it's not placenta accreta where the uterus or placenta is embedded into the scar. A c/s would also be necessary in this case.

I would get a second opinion and/or get copies of your records to see if it is previa or accreta. If your placenta moves then you can have a vbac and your risk for uterine rutpure isn't any greater then in a normal vbac, which is 0.3 - 0.5%.

THIS SUMS IT UP PRETTY MUCH!!!  PLZ KEEP US INFORMED, LRT US KNOW WHATS HAPPENING.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)