Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Shouldnt i have already been tested?

Posted by on May. 24, 2009 at 5:21 PM
  • 15 Replies

Ok I go in next week for this anyways so there is no point in complaining but I'm just making sure.

I have a very good doctor but with what I've been reading i think he messed up. My family is very high risk for diabetes especially me. My dad had it my grandpa on my moms side has it and DH has it. I also am overweight so shouldn't my doctor have tested me before I got to 28 weeks? I have never had a problem with my blood sugar or anything else I'm healthy as a horse except i need to loose my wieght. I'm reading online he should have but I'm not sure if they really do.

by on May. 24, 2009 at 5:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
virgobaby1978
by on May. 24, 2009 at 5:23 PM

Most drs/midwifes test anywhere between 24-28 weeks. Some test sooner especially if you have been pregnant before and had GD.

Come join Mommy's Playground. Where you can talk about anything important to you. http://www.cafemom.com/group/ourkids4life

PrissyKrissy05
by on May. 24, 2009 at 5:24 PM

with both of my pregnancies, I didn't get tested until I was almost 29 weeks, and I have a family history of diabetes too and was overweight with my first...

pregnant belly pregnant belly

no-drama-momma
by on May. 24, 2009 at 5:28 PM

How do u know that he hasn't been watching it?  My doc does blood and urine every time I go in and it is part of the routine stuff they check for...she never told me that--I asked what they check for.  So it's like a mini check each time and then the glucose test is the big test for it...don't know if I wrote it to where it'll make sense lol

elismom122003
by on May. 24, 2009 at 5:30 PM

I don't know if you should have had one already 28 weeks is normal, but I did have an early one at like 14 weeks or soemthing like that, really early because of losing my last baby.

pregnant

crochetingmamma
by on May. 24, 2009 at 6:11 PM

You should have been tested already if you have a family history of diabetes.   I do,  and I get tested at 16 weeks and then again at 28 weeks.  Your doc might be different though,  maybe he didn't test you b/c you didn't have any symptoms.

Pregnancy ticker
navywifey2006
by on May. 24, 2009 at 6:41 PM

i think they only test sooner if you show signs of it. and it also would depend on what type of diabetes your family history was like if they  were born with it or if they got it when they were older

Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker

1sttimemommy198
by on May. 24, 2009 at 6:49 PM

Diabetes runs on both sides of my family and I was 28weeks before I was tested...with both my DS and this pregnancy..I think as long as you've had no problems with it previously and as long as you haven't had GD before it isn't too much of a concern to be tested early.  

MegHPand3
by on May. 24, 2009 at 8:52 PM

It is my experience that without indicators during pregnancy or without having previously testing positive for GD, they will only test you at 28 weeks. So if earlier in your pregnancy you gained a bunch of weight suddenly, you started measuring out of proportion with previous measurement, or were spilling sugar in your urine, he is probably right to wait to test you. There is a lot of conflicting research about the accuracy of the glucola testing and many doctors are now testing your blood sugar after eating a certain series of meals, with complex carb and protien to see a real world scenario of how your body breaks down sugar.

av0531
by on May. 24, 2009 at 9:32 PM

i have a family history of it also. (but am not over weight) My mom had GD with almost all of her pregnancies and they didn't test her until 24-28 weeks. I think they only do that if you start to show signs of it or in someone i knows case after she was tested for it and it was negative tested positive for it about 5-6 weeks later..she couldn't figure out why she felt she needed to drink so much water mentioned it to her dr. and they did the 3 hr test on her and she ended up having to have the shots everyday.

divamommao
by on May. 24, 2009 at 10:25 PM

Its bad on my side of the family. and my doctor gave me the test when I went to my last appointment and told me to take it anytime between 24 weeks and 28 weeks. But i am doing it before my next appointment where I will be 27 weeks 2 days. I am going this week to do mine. if I got wed. or after I will be 26 weeks.

If you show signs of it they usually test you earlier or if you had it with previous pregnancies. Like with me we have to watch out for high blood pressure I had it with my last one and it run on both sides of our families. Dh has it, my mom, dad, brother, his mom had it, my grandma nad grandpa had it.

Momma of 4: Jazlyn (6), Jacquez (3), Jo'Nika (1), Jay'Dyn Ray (due 9-2-09). Proud Wifey to Do'Shan.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)