Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Checking your own cervix?

Posted by on May. 24, 2009 at 7:31 PM
  • 12 Replies

So I have read some posts on here about women checking their own cervix. Is this something common? I have never done it myself, my doctor always did. But the more I read about it I wonder if it is safe. If you know anything about this topic please post. How, when and why? Thanks

by on May. 24, 2009 at 7:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
styler7
by on May. 24, 2009 at 7:33 PM

Whoa. I've never heard of that.

kelleysangels
by on May. 24, 2009 at 7:34 PM

The only thing that I know about this is when you check your cervix to check for fertility signs and all that good stuff.  But nothing during pregnancy.  Im sorry I couldnt be much help.

bec94
by Bronze Member on May. 24, 2009 at 7:37 PM
personaly I'll leave it to the doctor while pregnant. I wouldn't want to risk infection. Now for charting my monthly cycle I would, and did.
norahsmommy
by on May. 24, 2009 at 7:49 PM

there isnt really an issue as long as your hands are very clean and you don't poke around too hard.  As long as your doc said its ok to have sex, you should be able to check your own cervix.  I mean, sex is more jarring and probably less sanitary than a woman checking.  I have done it to check for signs of fertility and also to check and see if I was dialating.  I would not do it often, and certainly not if your water is broken.  That could lead to infection. 

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is also a government big enough to take from you all that you have." - Gerald Ford

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety  deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.  We didn't pass it on to our children in the bloodstream.  It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free."  - Ronald Reagan

kylebearsmom
by on May. 24, 2009 at 7:52 PM

Quoting norahsmommy:

there isnt really an issue as long as your hands are very clean and you don't poke around too hard.  As long as your doc said its ok to have sex, you should be able to check your own cervix.  I mean, sex is more jarring and probably less sanitary than a woman checking.  I have done it to check for signs of fertility and also to check and see if I was dialating.  I would not do it often, and certainly not if your water is broken.  That could lead to infection. 

How do you do it?

norahsmommy
by on May. 24, 2009 at 7:59 PM

wash hands really well, make sure nails are clean and short, and just stick a finger up their with one leg raised or sitting on the toilet (not unlike inserting a tampon).  You can feel the walls of your vagina all around and up near the top and back there should be a firm thing that feels like the tip of your nose, thats your cervix.  In the center of that protrusion is a tiny opening. It may or may not feel totally closed so that you wont feel an opening at all, or it may feel a tiny bit open (this is expecially true if you have had children before, your cervix may be stretched out a bit)  Please don't try to stick your finger IN the opening, thats not good.  If you are dialating, effacing, and whatnot, your cervix will feel softer than the tip of a nose, more spongy.  The cervix will feel shorter than normal, and the opening will become more pronounced. 

Quoting kylebearsmom:

Quoting norahsmommy:

How do you do it?

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is also a government big enough to take from you all that you have." - Gerald Ford

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety  deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.  We didn't pass it on to our children in the bloodstream.  It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free."  - Ronald Reagan

sofienguyen08
by on May. 24, 2009 at 10:10 PM

how about you wear gloves if you are trying to do it. no matter how clean your hands are...you still risk an infection.

Yeah, he's a cutie.
pregpostmassage
by on May. 25, 2009 at 12:22 PM

Actually, you have more risk of infection in the doctor's office than doing it yourself at home: your body already knows its germs, so you're probably not introducing anything new, where at the doctor's office there's all sorts of things floating around that might be new to you.

BTW, a lot of women don't know this, but you can refuse vag checks at any time--and all the time, if wanted. There's no need to check the progress of a cervix unless something's wrong in pregnancy or labor. If you know you're the type of person that will obsess or get upset over the results of a cervix check, it's a good idea to turn down that that unneeded stress. It won't tell you when your baby is coming, either, because it dilation can happen anywhere from a few weeks to a few hours before birth.

Quoting bec94:

personaly I'll leave it to the doctor while pregnant. I wouldn't want to risk infection. Now for charting my monthly cycle I would, and did.

As LeVar Burton used to say: "But you don't have to take my word for it."
riotgrrl
by on May. 25, 2009 at 1:34 PM

Agreed that you don't need gloves. There's much less chance of any kind of infection from your clean hands than from a penis, and sex is still considered perfectly safe through pregnancy.

My midwife with my DD taught me how to check my own cervix. It's not going to do you much good unless you have some reference on what 1,2,3 centimeters of dilation feels like. It's also not really going to tell you very much. You can be totally closed and long until you go into active labor, or walk around several centimeters dilated for weeks before you deliver. Although I don't see it as a particularly risky activity, there's really not much point to it.

1mom08
by on May. 25, 2009 at 1:36 PM
I wouldn't want to risk infection, I wouldn't do it any way. Leave that to the Doc.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)